1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mystic Tasting Room opens Sat 2/16

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by emannths, Feb 14, 2013.

1. emannths

emannths Savant (390) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Notably, 32oz and 64oz growlers available, $5 for the glass, with some brewery-only beers available. Tours too, $6 donation. Could be a nice excuse for us Cambervillians to take the long way back from BOS.

Details here.
    jedwards likes this.
  2. Nice looking bar.
    I see they're about 5 minutes from the Night Shift/Idle Hands tasting rooms. That area's like an on-demand mini beer fest now. Nice way to happily kill a couple hours on a saturday afternoon.
    masterob8 likes this.
  3. Probably gonna check it out Saturday, not my favorite neighborhood though haha
  4. Are they only open on Saturdays? I couldn't find a schedule anywhere...
  5. emannths

6. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

nice. i wasn't a big fan of the cranberry saison when i had it at lord hobo a week or so ago, but i really liked their sours and saison renaud at this years ACBF. i bet they'll usually have something unique and good on.
  7. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

VERY nice looking bar.
  8. sweet - w/ so many new breweries in MA it's hard to know when at the bottle shop with to try. I'm thrilled to have this option finally available. I'll be there.....it sounds like both sized growlers are the same price at $5 - is that correct??
  9. Jason

Jason Founder (1,300) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Was there a few weeks ago ... great looking space. Here's hoping they go forward with their licensing to serve pints!!
    DrewShal9 and jedwards like this.
  10. Our neighborhood is fine, Admiral's Hill is quite nice, no problem if you come in from 99 past all the tanks and don't look out the window much. Coming in over the Tobin (MYSTIC!) Bridge is much nicer way.
    DrewShal9 likes this.
  11. Yes, they are the same price: $5.
  12. There's some stellar stuff that is brewery only. Trust me.
    Cheers!
    Drew
    nas5755 likes this.
  13. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Mmmmm... I look forward to picking up some of their Table Beer.
  14. What do the growlers look like?
  15. I checked out the opening yesterday. Fantastic space, I was quite impressed. Adds a whole new element to their story. And yes, the bar is stunning. Between Mystic, Night Shift and Idle Hands, this Chelsea/Everett loop is quite a little beer destination now. Who'd a thunk it? Here's my review with pictures.
    gdkersey likes this.
  16. [​IMG]
    Here's the 32 oz one.
  17. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (250) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

That almost looks like a 1L amber glass bottle from a chemistry lab :)
  18. Patrick

Pretty sure that's what Cigar City uses, fyi.
  19. They are called growlettes and becoming quite popular lately with breweries.
  20. AdamP

AdamP Savant (370) Pennsylvania Mar 26, 2012

Pretty sure they've been called Boston rounds for about a century before someone coined the term growlettes. :rolleyes:
  21. Possibly, but they call them growlettes now. And yes it is a ridiculous word.
  22. Looking to get down there this weekend...

How's the new Table Beer? Looks like all the other brewery-only beers are kicked (According to their website).
  23. Flor Ventus was so good, regret getting only one "growlette"
  24. emannths

What were the prices for growler fills?
  25. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (345) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

Any place we can see the draft list?
  26. emannths

BobCobb likes this.
  27. Remember reading this earlier this month - was excited that they might be open Thursdays.

Looks like I'll have to wait until the weekend though.
  28. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (345) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

Damn crowd last weekend kicked the BA Old Powderhouse it seems. How was it?
  29. Patrick

30. And the Flor Ventus unfortunately. I might just wait now til Roswell goes on. Either way looking forward to going!
  31. We do intend on opening up for Thursdays but we won't have enough beer for 3 days a week right now...we are working on scaling up to do that. We didn't know exactly what to expect Saturday, BA Powderhouse and Flor Ventus kicking in under 2 hours was a bit of shock to the system; it takes 6-12 months to make a batch of each of those!
  32. Hoping to make it in to see the tasting room and my name on the wall this weekend.
  33. What's the parking situation like here?
  34. There are about 45 free parking spots at the entrance parking lot (corner of Commandants and Willimas St.)

If there was really something big going on there are aproximately one billion spots at the Mother of all Market Baskets two blocks away (technically you should get a coffee at Starbucks or burger at 5 guys or something if parking over there.) The ample parking is one of many reasons we chose Chelsea.

Also, no, we won't be calling Boston Rounds 'growlettes' but you certainly can if you like. Yes, they are medicine/tincture bottles originally made in Boston. I guess we would call them something else too if Mystic wasn't 900 ft from Boston proper.

I am testing new stuff to see if we can get some more on tap for this weekend. Looks like we will have our R&D/"just for fun" batch of Half IPA just for samples.
  35. prices were exceedingly fair in my estimation, really regret not grabbing a second growlette of flor ventus

[​IMG]
  36. Patrick

sooo tiny!

Not bad prices at all.

So did anyone try the table beer?
  37. emannths

Fantastic. I'm in.
  38. Was just there today - great experience. There's also a 1/2 ipa and oatmeal stout on. Everything I sampled was really good. Really liked the table beer
  39. I was there today as well and agree the table beer was real nice, it was definitely a favorite among some other tasty stuff. Vinland One was also a hit with me.

It's a great space with a casual laid back atmosphere and healthy sampling. So you can definitely kill time there. The tour was interesting given that their set up is unique. Definitely worth a visit.
    BleepBloopBlap likes this.
  40. I went this past weekend and I love the look of the tasting room with the repurposed materials. The beers were very good having a large selection to sample. I couldn't help myself but grab a Boston Round when I left.