1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Napa Point Brewing?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by tjensen3618, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Came across this new brewery, checked out their website, and their business plan just seemed strange to me.
    "Ultra-Premium" beer, their lineup will consist of Corked and Caged bottles of what look to be pretty straightforward interpretations of an IPA, Blonde, Pale, Hefe, and Amber. An odd choice of packaging for those styles IMO.

They have a free to join beer club that touts how rare these beers are going to be, and compare their beers to wine/champagne several times.

To me, unless I'm missing something, it seems like somebody with a passing knowledge of what's going on in the rare/premium beer world is trying to get in on it.

http://napapointbrewing.com/

Anybody know anything about these guys to persuade me to give them a shot when I see them at what are sure to be "ultra-premium" prices?

2. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Advocate (510) California Sep 24, 2013

"the prestigious 2011 Australian International Brewing Awards."

"Cryptic XXX is our triple hopped IPA that is brewed once each year and never again. So yeah, that’s a rare beer."

"All beers come in 750 ml bottles and most are cork finished and wire caged (similar to how a champagne bottle is corked). Every selection is exceptional—not distributed in the US, can be cellar-aged and is pushing the envelope of craft brewing creativity and ingenuity."

"She is like the master chef who takes world class ingredients and creates incredible, flavorful meals."

"Ultra-Premium " x 100

Just... awful.

3. I'm curious about this place too. Denise was supposed to privately brew for the "rich and famous" after leaving Moylan's. Now she's brewing at what seems to be an open to the public brewery in Napa. I tried to find their hours on the website since I was headed toward Napa and couldn't. Then I emailed them to find out with no response. I wonder what it's all about.

4. So just because she says it's ultra premium doesn't make it so?

5. Sounds like the guy from Modern Times took a freelance marketing gig.

vurt likes this.
  6. Yesterday November 17th was the soft opening.
    I spoke with Denise this past weekend in Denver (GABF) about the new brewery. Not only is she a great brewer she is one of the nicest people in the craft beer community. Napa Point is in good hands and I suspect a year from now everyone is gonna be trading for some of their rare beers. I don't really care what any label says it is what the beers taste like. I know I can't wait to try their beers. Aptos I like the Sweetheart of the Rodeo avatar. Nice!

7. Ynot2

Ynot2 Savant (310) California Jul 24, 2009

Stopped in for lunch today. The food and beer are both much better than the website. The standard lineup was pretty much what you would expect from an IPA, a Hefe, a Golden and a Pale. I think the Golden and the IPA were above average, but the best of the lineup was the Kilt and Dagger, like Kilt Lifter but with deeper aroma and flavors. I'll go back when I have more time and have more than just the tasting.

8. The website doesn't even mention food!

9. Ynot2

It is more of a restaurant than a brewery or bar. The grilled cheese is amazing.

10. Good to know. I'm in Napa often, I look forward to giving them a try.

11. This is in south napa correct?

12. Ynot2

It is across from Napa Smith Brewery.

13. I might be crazy, ok I am sure i am, i thought e-40, the rapper, and her were doing something together, so is he one of the investors behind it?

14. Do you think the Brewmasters club is worthwhile based on the regular beers? I guess that they don't make you pay all up front like all of the other beer clubs I have joined.