1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Narragansett Beer Releases Imperial Bohemian Pilsner

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (1,365) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Providence, RI (March 2013) – Today, the Famous Narragansett Beer announces the release of its all-new Imperial Bohemian Pilsner, the second installment of the brewer’s Private Stock series of limited-edition craft offerings.

Narragansett’s Imperial Bohemian Pilsner was brewed under the supervision of award-winning Brewmaster Sean Larkin. The first unfiltered offering from Narragansett, the pilsner offers slight bitterness in the front followed by a full-bodied malt flavor complimented by spicy and fruity earth-toned noble hops. The pilsner is made using Pale malt, Pilsner malt, Wheat malt and Cara Blonde malt from Belgium. At 35 IBUs (International Bitterness Units) it is bittered with Northern Brewer hops and Hallerteau hops and also double dry hopped with the Hallerteau.

The Imperial Bohemian Pilsner is a nod to Narragansett’s German heritage and the brand’s exploration of the lager beer style. While many craft breweries today focus on ales, ‘Gansett has seen greatest success and consumer interest in response to its lager offerings. Along with the company’s Marzen-style Fest, Helles Bock spring seasonal and flagship Lager, the Imperial Bohemian Pilsner is a further journey into the lager beer style.

The Narragansett Imperial Bohemian Pilsner is the company’s second offering in the Private Stock series, as the company continues to expand its acclaimed craft selections. In December 2012, Narragansett introduced a limited-edition Imperial IPA, offering ‘Gansett fans a bigger-bodied brew, while also celebrating the company’s 122nd anniversary.

Narragansett Imperial Bohemian Pilsner, priced between $5.99-6.99, is available in 22-ounce bomber bottles throughout Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, North Carolina, New York City, and the District of Columbia. Narragansett Bohemian Imperial Pilsner is 8.6 percent Alcohol By Volume.

For further information on the Narragansett Imperial Bohemian Pilsner or to find a retailer near you, visit: www.narragansettbeer.com.

ABOUT NARRAGANSETT BEER:
    Narragansett Beer…Brewed since 1890. ‘Gansett is a straightforward, quality beer that has been a New England tradition for generations, producing a classic family of award-winning American lagers & ales. Today, ‘Gansett is produced at top-rated breweries in Providence, RI, Pawcatuck, CT, Rochester, NY, and Latrobe, PA. Narragansett is available for purchase in local restaurants, bars, and liquor stores throughout New England, Eastern Pennsylvania, Florida, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Wisconsin and the District of Columbia.

###

Buttermilk likes this.
  2. I'd be a lot more excited if they were making a classic pilsner and releasing it in cans.

Chinon01, Onenote81, Dools9 and 2 others like this.
  3. Pegli

Pegli Savant (305) Rhode Island Aug 30, 2006

Just had one yesterday...I love it ! Unlike many other imperial pilsners I've had, this one's nice and crisp - very well attenuated for a 8.6% ABV beer.

4. A bit of topic, but I just heard that the Lager is going to be available in 30 packs soon.

5. Pegli

I saw them in stores already...

6. I liked the imperial IPA- scathing bitterness and none of that nambly-pambly sweetness getting in the way. Will have to take this one out for a spin.

7. Oh, haven't seen 'em in my area yet. Maybe RI only for now?

8. What victory4me said, but if it was this imperial version instead of a classic pilsner.

9. I'll give it a shot, as I love a Bohemian Pilsner. However, I am not a big fan of "imperializing" everything. Obviously most others are (hence breweries making these types of beers so regularly). This style, like the Oktoberfest that Sean did for Revival, is wonderful in it's "original form." With that said, I think experimentation is the key in the beer industry, so I am all for trying new things. Nevertheless, I am apprehensive.

HokiesandBeer and victory4me like this.
  10. Pegli

Yeah man - loved this one as well.

11. Pegli

I wholeheartedly agree with the naming...the Germans already had a name for it = Bock. Usually, when I see Imperial in front of a lager style, I think cloyingly sweet mess. I haven't liked an Imperial Pilsner yet (I'm looking at you too SA Hallertau). This one however drinks like a Pilsner or a Duvel.

Providence likes this.
  12. emannths

emannths Savant (425) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

A Bohemian pilsner as a nod to their German heritage? Is this the second time the Sudetenland has been annexed by Germans?

Also, 35 IBU seems low for a 8.4% pilsner. Isn't Pislner Urquell around 30 IBU?

13. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

Sounds like a hoppy maibock to me. Not saying it can't be good but it isn't any version of a pilsner.

victory4me likes this.
  14. 35 IBU's sound about right for an imperial pilsner. IBU generally comes from the hops, not the ABV.

15. Pegli

It does not have the residual sweetness of a maibock...for reference, Duvel is 8.5% ABV and 32 IBU (see my post above)

16. emannths

emannths Savant (425) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

As a mostly-ale drinker, I tend to expect that the ABV is correlated with the amount of malt character and/or sweetness, and thus higher ABV beers would need higher IBU to stay balanced with the style. Not the case for something like this?

17. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Let's hope it's better than the Imperial IPA. Very disappointing.:(

Providence likes this.
  18. SenorHops

Really? I bought it fresh and thought it was more of a malt bomb.

19. Pegli

My experience was similar to Shogo's...reminded me of the raw bitterness of fresh Finest Kind

20. You're correct regarding malty beers having a high IBU as it's more difficult to achieve bitterness with a malty beer. There are some stouts which don't taste very bitter but actually have a higher IBU than the average IPA, you just don't notice it because of the malt character.

From doing a bit of reading on bohemian pilsner's it appears that while a bit sweeter and more malty they typically use Czech Saaz hops which is very mild and has a really low Alpha Acid level, hence why you see them usually fall below the 45 IBU.

21. SenorHops

Obviously taste is subjective and to each their own, but the low score for a local brew says it all. It did have bitterness. I agree, but little in the way of hop flavor I would expect from the style.

22. Agreed, not much hop flavor- more hop feeling

Pegli likes this.
  23. Pegli

I liked it because it was very different from the current trend of West Coast hop bursting.

24. SenorHops

I heart west coast hop bursting!;)

Pegli likes this.
  25. Pegli

NEWS FLASH: This was just tapped at Julians

26. SenorHops

Let us know what you think about the Imperial Bohemian Pilsner.

27. Tried it last night at A Taste of Metrowest. Absolutely delicious, and surprisingly smoov for an 8.6% imperial. tasted the gansetts in reverse, from the Bohemian to the Bock to the Cream Ale. had to skip the lager and the light as i was getting quite drunk off free beer and needed to save room for draught Harpoon, Wachusett, Battle Road and Jacks Abby

28. Pegli

I've had a few bottles already - see 2nd post from beginning...would love to try it on draft (I wish I was at Julians instead of Facebook/BAing at work).

fineout likes this.
  29. SenorHops

I'll give it a whirl. I'm with you. Drinking beer is better than working.

30. Pegli

Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Providence and SenorHops like this.
  31. Must be nice to be trying freshly tapped beers at julian's at lunchtime...:(

32. Picked up a bomber of this today for $6.99. The 8.6% alcohol is well hidden and it didnt feel that boozy. Not sure why this has to be bomber only because I could see it in a 4 pack. Had some decent citrus flavor going on. Could taste some banana in there. Not as hoppy as I thought it would be. Overall not bad. 7/10.