1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Narragansett DIPA

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by MVP09, Dec 11, 2012.

1. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (365) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

Anyone taste this? I got a couple bottles
    One word BITTER. Will it mello with time. Not super high ABV but will time help?
  2. Other than being bitter, how is it?
  3. EParry84

EParry84 Zealot (80) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2010

I stopped in one of the local bottle shops tonight but it wasn't there yet. Anyone seen it around?
  4. I don't want it to mellow. I want it now.
    smutty33 likes this.
  5. MVP09

Yankee in Attelboro had them. Bitter hops is all I tasted.
  6. drocpsu

drocpsu Savant (255) New Hampshire Dec 25, 2006

Narrangansett bottles?
  7. It was released in bombers.
  8. MVP09

Yes 22oz. I have another bottle so gonna give this one another taste. Had it a party when i already had too many
  9. Redstone has plenty.
    Ganglani likes this.
  10. Brad007

Brad007 Advocate (620) Vermont Mar 28, 2007

A Narragansett DIPA? Wow. I hadn't heard of this.
  11. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

Sipping mine now. This is pretty damn good. Drink it.
  12. Opened one last night . Definitely a British inspired DIPA. Not like a west coast or Heady but drinkable smooth with traditional bitterness. And Cheap !
  13. Glad to hear it's going over well. Got a couple bottles from my rep an hopefully getting draft. Looking forward to it.
  14. what's the going price on this?
  15. Not sure. Last I was told it won't hit CT distro til next month.
  16. I heard 5.99-6.99 a bomber.
  17. I found it in CT (Canton) for 6$ and change.
  18. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Picked up a bottle in New Haven,CT. yesterday for $6.99
    Haven't tried it yet....(2morrow night)

Cheers All........
  19. $4.99 Hop Stoopid / Something Wild still reigns supreme
  20. Picked on up at Wines & More in Mansfield last night and was pleasantly suprised by it, bitter but very tastey. Nice job Gansett now make it available in tallboy 4 packs year round.
  21. ellis860

ellis860 Zealot (90) Connecticut Mar 28, 2011

$5.99 at Table and Vine
  22. Within the parameters of a DIPA, i thought it was a decent interpretation of the style. Would have liked more hops (not really breaking new ground here). Nice price, as well.
  23. $6.99 at Marty's Big Buys in Allston, MA. Plenty on the shelf earlier this evening.
  24. Enjoying a bottle of this at the moment. Very impressive. Very fresh-tasting. Super bitter, with just enough malty balance. Not overly thick and sweet like some west-coast style DIPAs I've tried. Brewed at Buzzard's Bay in Westport.
  25. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

Not bad, but not very memorable either. Too bitter for me, I really wanted to love this one. There are too many imperial IPAs that are better than this one.
    Still love Narragansett, keep trying.
    Cheers!
  26. dennho

dennho Savant (335) Massachusetts Oct 29, 2006

I'm trying to think of a better DIPA for six bucks. Wachusett Larry is good too. Anybody?
  27. Lagunitas Hop Stoopid.

Tho in the past year or so this hophead (me) has been seeking out more well-made, balanced hop foward single IPAs that fit the bill like Ithaca Flower Power, FW Union Jack, Uinta Hop Notch, SN Celebration & Torpedo, Widmer rotating IPA 's, & Racer 5...with the caveat they are reasonably fresh.

Look forward to trying the Gansett DIPA this weekend. Love their seasonals & even the lager on occasion.
  28. bitter as #*$&(#$ without that sweet floral stuff that all the IPAs these days have.

Unique, and tasty.
  29. Tried a bomber but just tasted too one dimensional, not bad but average score for the style.
  30. Will be hitting Brookline Liquor Mart today, price TBD
  31. Are you talking about bombers only or other formats as well? Although $6 is at the low end of the spectrum for bombers there are a decent amount of bottled/canned DIPAs that are around the same price or even cheaper. $6 bombers equates for about a $13 4 pack which I don't think many would consider cheap, probably about average for the style. It just perplexes me when people say any type of bomber is cheap.
  32. AdamP

AdamP Savant (395) Pennsylvania Mar 26, 2012

Should try Night Shift's Citranation that they released tonight. The single-hop addition through bittering and dry-hopping leads to a super crisp and pure aroma and taste. Big fan... drinks much light than the 9.2% too.
  33. Oh yeah! I totally want to get some of that. Merry Christmas to me!
  34. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

The only part of that beer that keeps me from purchasing some is that it is a Belgian DIPA.
    jamvt likes this.
  35. jamvt

jamvt Savant (490) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

same here. i like my ipa's with a clean yeast strain.
  36. I wanted to like this. But God, the bitterness is just overwhelming.
  37. 122 IBU's
  38. The Narragansett bomber was $6.49 at Julio's last week. I only wish I had purchased more than 1 bottle as the store is 60 miles from my NH home. I was surprised to see rhat Buzzards Bay was the brewer rather than Genesee or Cottrell - I don't recall any of their other products coming from BB. In any event, I thought it was an excellent product and can only hope they'll can it rather than relying solely on bombers.
  39. I grabbed a bottle of this straight out of the box before they shelved em. Gansett's Imperial IPA has to be the bitterest beer I've ever had in my life. Quite the experience. I followed it up by drinking a Jolly Pumpkin La Parcela No. 1 Pumpkin ale, which just so happened to be the sourest beer I've ever had. Crazy stuff.
  40. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (555) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

I really wanted to like it....:( Bitter, and not the good kind of bitter.