1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Narragansett Imperial IPA to Commemorate 122 Years of 'Gansett

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Todd, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

We just got word that Narrangansett will be releasing 22oz bombers of their new Imperial IPA to commemorate 'Gansett's 122nd Anniversary. Target launch is the week of November 26. Here's more info on the beer and why.

The Beer
    • Brewed under the supervision of award-winning Brew Master Sean Larkin from Trinity to celebrate 'Gansett's 122nd anniversary
    • The Imperial IPA boasts a rich flavor driven by four different types of malts. They are accentuated by fruity aromas and a dry, hoped-up finish thanks to the blend of Summit, Northern Brewer, Hallertau, Sazz, & Tettnanger hops
    • Specialty German hops are a nod to our founding forefathers
    • 8.6% Alcohol by Volume & 122 IBUs
    [​IMG]

Why Narragansett Imperial IPA?
    • Made locally at Buzzard's Bay Brewing Co.
    • Retro appeal of packaging from the early 20th Century
    • Narragansett began brewing ales in the late 1800's and even brewed Ballantine's IPA in the 1960's
    • Celebrate 122 years of Narragansett tradition during the holiday season with this bold, delicious & hoppy 122 IBU offering
    • Consumers will want to try the biggest & craftiest beer that 'Gansett has ever made
    http://www.narragansettbeer.com/2012/10/first-look-gansetts-122nd-anniversary-imperial-ipa

http://www.narragansettbeer.com

###

Jwale73 and ILOVESTOUTS like this.
  2. emannths

emannths Savant (425) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Finally an answer my prayers for a IIPA driven by malt flavors! o_O

3. Nice, I'll try it. Too bad it's not in one of their cool-looking cans...

4. This is definitely cool. Hoping it tastes good and/or is cheap.

5. Have to get this. Gansett is the beer my Great Aunt & Uncle practically lived off of and still served at some Family get togethers.

Close - but a decade off. The Narragansett brewery - by then a subsidiary of Falstaff - brewed Ballantine India Pale Ale beginning in 1972 (when Falstaff bought the Ballantine brands after the brewery announced they were closing) until Falstaff closed the Rhode Island brewery in the early 1980's.

[​IMG]

Realizing that Gansett's Mark Hellendrung was an infant at the time ;)

6. Sean Larkin's big, hoppy beers at Trinity are very tasty. Count me in.

7. Everything about this thread is awesome. 'Gansett... Holiday release... DIPA. My prayers have been answered.

Hi Neighbor!

8. I actually would welcome an attention to malt on a DIPA after encountering numerous efforts where malt was forgotten in the race for MORE HOPS!!!!!! Additional hops need to be skillfully balanced by a nice malt backbone IMO...something a lot of new brewers forget about.

sjverla likes this.
  9. This looks pretty cool, will definitely give it a try.

10. I must say, 122 IBUs of largely low-AA Noble hops (unless they just went all-in on the Summit and Northern brewer for bittering, which would be disappointing) has me incredibly intrigued.

11. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I'd like to try this. Everything I've had from Narragansett has been tasty+.

12. Any idea when this comes out? Go Rhode Island!

13. A `Gansett that is not packaged in a tall boy can ? o_O