1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Nashville Trip

Discussion in 'US - South' started by oach, Feb 4, 2013.

1. oach

oach Aficionado (120) Illinois Jul 8, 2009

Hey All,

Going down to Nashville next weekend. Should have the day Friday and part of Saturday to visit breweries and bottle stores. Going to be with the kids; bars are out but brew pubs that serve solid food and are kid friendly are awesome.

What breweries might have tours and/or allow me to stop by if I contact them ahead? Which bottle stores would give the best selection of locals and beers I can't get in IL? Anything special happening that weekend (local bottle release)?

Cheers,
    Scot
  2. Yazoo does tours on Saturday at their brewery. Their website sells advance tickets if you want to have them in hand for a tour time: http://yazoobrew.storenvy.com/collections/151521-saturday-brewery-tours

For bottle shops, there is Midtown and Frugal McDoogal. Nothing special happening this weekend that I know of, but I'm usually behind the curve on events so other may chime in.
  3. Merkur

Merkur Aficionado (200) Tennessee Jan 3, 2011

Flying Saucer (before 7PM) and 12 South Taproom are all good bar/resteraunt options that allow kids and have the better draft lists in town.

Craft Brewed on Franklin Road is a good option for local beers. They are a bottleshop/taproom hybrid that has a good selection of local brews for growler fills.
  4. +1 for Flying Saucer! If you collect glassware, they usually have some nice randoms. Last time I stopped in, I asked one of the girls what the prices on the glassware was and no one knew, so they said everything was $3. So I got one of everything.

Midtown has an awesome selection of bottles.
  5. oach

Thank you all for your input so far.

Outside of Yazoo are there any breweries within a 60 minute drive of the area that a worth a visit for a pint or two?
  6. You must stop by Jackalope which is very close to Yazoo and Frugals. They have a great taproom which is open 4-8pm on Thurs-Sat and Sunday12-4pm A coffee business has recently opened in the taproom too. Bailey and Steve are making some great beers and have recently expanded and are getting a canning line soon. Have fun, wish we weren't 400+ miles away!

Sharon
  7. If your at Yazoo, then sure stop into Jackalope for a second to check it out since its a minute walk away, but to be completely honest (and brash) their beers just aren't good and I would otherwise advise against going. Turtle Anarchy is about 20ish minute drive south of Yazoo and is brewing some of the best stuff in Nashville, IMO. Check their Facebook page to see if they release any details about one of his special batches of the stout they experiment with. Cool Springs Brewery is very close to Turtle Anarchy also, and I think their beer is much better than Jackalope too...

Not trying to hate, but I gave Jackalope a 6 month grace period when they opened and i supported the shit out of them. At this point I've given up and won't touch anything other than Thunder Ann if its my only option
    harperman69 likes this.
  8. sommersb

sommersb Advocate (575) Tennessee May 25, 2010

Besides Cool Springs Brewery which has been mentioned, the brewpubs at Blackstone and Boscos have both good food and good beer. Blackstone brews for their pub and also sells bottles in the shops; Boscos is draft-only in their pubs. These places are more like a restaurant with beer, than a bar with a food option.
  9. oach

Just in case the kids aren't interested in any of the fantastic places you listed. What would you recommend for restaurants that kids would really like. More interested in non-chain types of places.
  10. Nashville is a foodie city with a ton of options, what age are your kids? Jacks BBQ downtown on Broadway is the tourist destination for BBQ, but it is honestly fantastic. Personally, I'm a huge fan of a place called The Pharmacy which is mainly a burger and German sausage joint, they have a nice beer list too and handmade phosphate sodas the kids would love- hands down the best burger I've ever had btw... A little more formal, but still affordable and unique is a place called Music City Flats in the Gulch area (kinda yuppie) which is practically a 30 second walk from Yazoo. There is a deli called West End Cafe that has a great selection of fresh sandwiches and salads, or even better is a place called Mitchell's Deli that has been featured on Food Network before, but its a bit farther outside of city. If pizza is your thing, check out Five Points Pizza or DeSano's (the latter being your more authentic Italian pie place). If you want to get adventurous and try Nashvilles own "hot chicken" the safest and least shady place to take the children would be Hattie B's, their sides are incredible also and they have a tender basket with no heat the kids would like. There really are so many more great options and if you are looking for anything specific, let us know! Hope that helps

Sorry that's a giant rambling paragraph...
  11. If your kids like pancakes (seriously, what kid doesn't?!) then the Pancake Pantry is a must and a Nashville staple. Again, they were featured on TV, but beware of super long lines if you go at a busy time. This place is right across from Bosco's brewpub if you need a point while you wait and a few doors down is Hot & Cold which features Jeni's ice cream out of Columbus, OH - consistently named best ice cream in America... Sorry, I'm done, I could go on and on
  12. oach

Thanks for the ramble. Great stuff! Kids are between 5 and 11.
  13. JonHoswin

JonHoswin Aspirant (40) Tennessee Jan 6, 2013

ML Rose does a great job of getting it done with a great selection of craft beer and solid burgers. If you got time without the kids, Craft Brewed has a great selection of craft beer and you can relax with a few pints right there (it's like a growler fill buffet with a taproom attached).
  14. I'll give my thumbs up on Cool springs Brewery. Brewing some great stuff and Fridays usually do a firkin or run something wild thru the randall.