1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Naughty Temple

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by mtrutlin, Feb 21, 2013.

1. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Savant (285) Colorado Apr 4, 2012

Had this for the first time this week and love it so much I had to start an appreciation thread. I gotta say, I wasn't sure whether I was going to like a BA IPA. That being said, I was kinda blown away at how much I liked it. Anyone else had the chance to try it and feel the same way?

Kudos to Toppling Goliath. You guys continue to impress me with every beer I try. Can't wait for you guys to start distributing. Bring on the Mornin' Delight!
    tgchief likes this.
  2. Roudy1

Roudy1 Savant (260) Iowa Sep 29, 2012

My bottle is sitting in the fridge. I'm waiting until after the snow storm to enjoy it!
    tgchief and BottleCaps80 like this.
  3. TomClem

TomClem Savant (260) Nebraska Mar 7, 2012

looking forward to trying my first TG beer in Omaha this weekend!
    tgchief likes this.
  4. pepsican

pepsican Savant (315) Iowa Nov 5, 2007

Definitely an interesting beer. I had it on tap awhile back and am looking forward to bottles being dropped off today.
    tgchief likes this.
  5. TG is just killing it. They brew good stuff and use quality control to make sure they never compromise for their customers. Really great people making world class beers.

Speaking of world class beers, I can;t wait to get some Naughty Temple. It's truly a work of art. And the fact that they are brewing more Morning Delight and Kentucky Brunch, and will have Assassin bottled soon and future Assassin in Pappy barrels....building a bigger brewery and bottling line...holy crap they are killing it.

And that isn;t even mentioning their IPAs which are ridiculously good. I can't wait for the day that I have PseudoSue in my fridge in bottles. Wow, just exciting times for TG and their fans.

20TG is shaping up to be a good year.
    redblacks75, tgchief and motorhed like this.
  6. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Same. Will probably crack my bottle Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon.

And I also agree that I am really psyched for TG to start bottling so I can have their beers in my fridge. Top notch brewery, with bigger and brighter future ahead! Can't wait to see what they come up with next.
    tgchief likes this.
  7. Roudy1

It seems like they are doing everything right to be successful in the future, though I don't know what goes on on the inside. All I can say is that everything I've ever had from them has been an above average beer. And then they pull something off like the Pompeii IPA that was just delicious...
    tgchief likes this.
  8. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

I picked up one of the last bottles available here in Des Moines. Waiting for a weekend when my drinking buddy from MN can get down here and share it with me.

I, too, cannot wait until I can walk into stores and buy TG brews like I did today! :)
  9. Well from what i know, they take great care in making sure their beer meets a quality standard before selling it under the name. For example, I believe only about 1/3 of the barrels for Naughty Temple actually met the standard to be bottled as Naughty temple.
  10. Roudy1

I also feel like there should be/have been a one or MAYBE two bottle limit on this so as many people as possible could enjoy it.
  11. BottleCaps80

The Valley West Hy-Vee in DSM had a 1 bottle/person limit on their Naughty Temple. Still went super fast from what I hear, but not sure how many bottles they got either?
  12. randjuke

randjuke Aficionado (195) Iowa Feb 13, 2010

Looking at the TG Facebook page some guy bought six bottles at HyVee in Iowa City and a guy on Twitter had four, so yeah I'd tend to agree with you. There is a reference to following around the TG truck in Iowa City which I don't know was in jest or not. Good on them I guess.
  13. Roudy1

That's what I was referring to. I'm always torn on whether there should be limits on beer or first come, first serve. It's kind of a bad situation because not everybody has the luxury of being able to not be at work until 4 or 5...

And I just know from a personal standpoint, karma, if I couldn't get a bottle of something because somebody spent $150 on 6 bottles of beer I'd be upset kind of...
    BottleCaps80 likes this.
  14. pepsican

At nearly $25 you would assume the price would limit the amount purchased, but that doesn't seem to be the case. We sold out in a few minutes and had people waiting for in line for about an hour before they arrived. 1 bottle per person limit. This is one of the few times in the last 2 years that I bought a bottle of a small batch/limited release beer from the store. TG is just too good to pass up and I'm curious to A/B this verses my notes on the draft version.
    Roudy1 likes this.
  15. TomClem

I am against limits. I have a tasting group locally that watches out for each other on releases. If someone can't make it to a release and there aren't limits then we can cover them. When there are limits I think hoarders still find a way around them.
  16. Roudy1

I would say there's a difference between actually hoarding and buying for a few friends...just my thoughts.
  17. pepsican

A bomber is more than enough for most of the tastings I've attended. We've tried releases in all sorts of different ways and it is impossible to make everyone happy. At least with a limit of one, 24 people got to go home with a bomber. Hopefully they spread the love around if they have some people to share it with.
    bismarksays, Roudy1 and randjuke like this.
  18. TomClem

Roudy1 there is a difference, but the retailer can't tell. If I roll in wanting to buy 6, many think I'm a hoarder even though I may be buying 1-2 for 4 or 5 people...
  19. BottleCaps80

Agree 100%.

Tasting groups are great and something I support, but not everyone in the group needs their own bottle either. It is just really a huge bummer when you walk into a store on a day you know they are getting a special/limiited release and you see someone walking out with multiple bottles/six packs, etc. and when you ask the manager, you find out the person exiting the store with a huge grin on their face cleaned out the last of their shipment.

And as Roundy noted, not everyone can make it to stores or wait in lines on release days, as they have day-time jobs. Without limits, usually by the time they are able to get off work and make it to the shop, the supply is already gone. I think for super limited releases like this a 1 bottle or 1 six pack/person limit is only fair when stores are only getting 24 bottles or 20 six packs (5 cases) or something, for example.
    Roudy1 likes this.
  20. BottleCaps80

I feel this thread is getting steered a bit off course....

....so has anybody else had Naughty Temple yet. Thoughts and first impressions? :)
  21. TomClem

read the OP. he had it "loved it so much" he started a BA thread. I know one other guy that tried it and loved it. Are there reviews yet?
  22. pepsican

I had it on draft awhile ago and dug it. Loads of vanilla and toffee, some sweetness, very barrel forward with just enough hops left to back it up. Some new reviews of the batch over on ratebeer seems to confirm the same. I rarely like oaked IPA's but this one was nice. Hopefully the bottle is just as good.

Curious if this is a new base beer or just golden nugget since they are both 7.2%. Also, what sort of barrels were blended in on this? I've read templeton but really don't know.
    BottleCaps80 likes this.
  23. BottleCaps80

Looks like just the one review here on BA. Haven't checked Ratebeer yet. Untappd has some people over the last few days who have rated it, but not much for reviews.
  24. Roudy1

I think Templeton. And they're done using them for a while now. The Assassin is in Pappy barrels, I believe.
  25. BottleCaps80

I figured the base beer for this was Naughty 90? Is it indeed Golden Nugget?
  26. pepsican

I was just guessing since they were the same ABV%. Naughty 90 makes much more sense.
  27. bismarksays

bismarksays Savant (445) Iowa Dec 7, 2008

My feelings on the beer are exactly like I rated it long ago. It is a treat, something worth sharing with your friends. I was very glad to see this when it finally arrived in Cedar Falls last night. I would like to see a few more ratings on this as I always enjoy reading the flavors other people get and how a particular beer strikes their fancy.
  28. TgBC

TgBC Aficionado (210) Iowa Aug 28, 2011

The base beer is the base for Naughty 90, but instead of being oaked, it gets sent into barrels for extended aging.

Assassin was in Templeton barrels the first year, the 2013 release will be a blend of Old Fitzgerald and Elijah Craig 12 and 20 year barrels. The 2014 release of Assassin will be Pappy 20 year barrels.

-Mike
  29. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

I got 2 bottles, 1 from each of 2 locations. 1 for me, one for a London trade. I'll drink mine in a few weeks.
    tgchief likes this.
  30. tgchief

tgchief Savant (295) Iowa Nov 30, 2010

Hey everyone your words of encouragement keep us motivated. I just got home from the brewery, both salesmen still in the field, brewers fatigue after 2 days of stoutfestkillabrewerathon, and your encouragement and honest really invigorate us to continue to push the envelope in what we do and grow with quality before quantity.

Thank you for every one of you that took a chance on our Naughty Temple. Brewed as an Old World Hoppy Bronze Ale combined with the best of our #1 select barrels, we spent so many hours on this project over the last year and half that we often wondered if it would be worth it.

For all of you, and what we learned, it was......Cheers All!
    mattafett and brkstoutfiend like this.
  31. tgchief

For the record, half the barrels (only 3) made the cut! Thanks for the mention because that is how we roll.
  32. tgchief

Sorry I missed that Mike or I would not have chimed in......I really take my hat off to you and your creations!!

See you tomorrow and thank you for releasing 1 growler of your Top Secret SR-71 BB Iowa Imperial Stout for the extreme beer fest in Omaha! I think this one is going to cause a sonic boom!
    BrettHead likes this.
  33. printer1

printer1 Aficionado (225) Iowa Aug 29, 2005

So, what would it take to get those barrels that didn't make the cut?
  34. Back off!!!! ;)
  35. tgchief

Probably $4.25 a pint in our taproom. Very solid, but not what we where looking for to match our original goals and profile for the Naughty Temple.
    youngac likes this.
  36. This stuff is ridiculous! Love it. The nose is awesome, that toffee/vanilla thing. Smooth as hell upfront with tons of the flavor (toffee/vanilla/barrel) in the finish. Really a great beer. As usual, TG killed it. It's crazy how talented that bunch of people are... I mean killer Ipas/pales with all different hops, their stout lineup is crazy good, and this barrel aged ale. I can't wait till they dominate the sour category as well!!!!
    tgchief likes this.
  37. TgBC

TgBC Aficionado (210) Iowa Aug 28, 2011

I think you'll be pleased with the sour cultures we're ready to start putting to work. Of course, the end product is a long ways off, but it will be coming.

A lot more fun is on the way, you can trust that!

Cheers,
    Mike
  38. BottleCaps80

I am crazy excited at the thought of some TG sours! Probably the one style that I am slowly breaking into that I can see becoming my favorite over IPAs.
  39. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm glad there were bottle limits in Des Moines. With only 6 (I think) cases delievered to Des Moines, I wouldn't have been able to get my hands on one without Hyvee limiting them. And the good beer managers (Blake at Pleasant Hill, Jon at Urbandale, Chris at 42nd) are very cool guys. I bet they would probably make exceptions if I had asked if I could buy an extra for a friend who couldn't leave work early to get his. I dunno. I just try to be a good Des Moines Beer Advocate and hope others return the favor (even though I know some don't, as evidenced by the Beer Crazy Hopslam fiasco). Cheers!
    Roudy1 and BottleCaps80 like this.
  40. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

So this is what I had on tap Sunday? In all honesty, I thought that was very good, it didn't meet your high expectations to go into the bottle? There is something to say about men that want nothing but the absolute best when their name is attached to something they craft. I'm proud to be supporting you guys(and gals) at TG!!

I was just out at a few of my local beer spots this a.m. talking you guys up, and saying that they need to get a distributor to pick you up when you bottle, because of these very reasons stated in this thread.

It goes without saying, but I hope that once the bottling line gets up and going, that you don't over extend your footprint. As quality is number 1, don't get pressured into sacrificing it just to churn out more beer. I can say with confidence that this will not happen. Just wanted to say it, since it was going through my mind.

Can't wait until Assassin, Mornin Delight, and Kentucky Brunch hit. I haven't had KB, and seeing the pics the past few days of brewing MD/KB has got my mouth watering.
    tgchief and BottleCaps80 like this.