1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

NC Local Sours and Smokes

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by dvmin98, Mar 15, 2013.

1. So I am a true novice when it comes to sours and I am not a big smoke fan. I am trading with someone and I know he likes sours and smoked beers. Are there any local beers of both genres that I could send him? Preferably 12 or 22oz bottles. Please help!

2. Handle

Handle Savant (395) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

I'm a big fan of smoked beers, but I'm struggling to think of one that is brewed and bottled here in NC.

3. The only notable bottled sour I can think of from NC is the Natty Greene's American Sour, but that disappeared a long time ago.

Common Good from Fullsteam was pretty good, but it was a small batch that never hit bottles.

4. Our Hogwash hickory-smoked brown porter is available in growlers.

Common Good is on tap at a few places still in Charlotte. It's not an aged (Brett) sour; it's a sour mash Kentucky Common that's less, say, challenging than some sours out there.

5. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

A guy I works with has one available, he bought two, and didn't like it.

6. Handle

Really? I thought that beer was fantastic. The only reason I didn't recommend it is because I don't think he'll be able to easily find a bottle.

CarolinaKevin likes this.
  7. I keep forgetting that growlers hit distro.

8. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Green Man has bottled a couple sours, maybe more, but really small batches, maybe a couple dozen cases. I bet there will be more in the future, but NC is seriously lacking in sour beers.

9. Dralzz

Dralzz Disciple (55) North Carolina Oct 17, 2010

Aside from a few one-time pilot batches from NoDa, I can't think of any sour beers in NC.
    Triple C in Charlotte does a Smoked Amber. I can't really speak to its quality, as I've only had it once. Additionally, Olde Mecklenburg did a Rauchbier for the month of February. I think it's all gone by now, though.

10. Mystery has a beer called Ballantrae that is a smoked scottish ale. (maybe in growlers)

Mystery also has batch #1 which is rather expensive (about $28) and is a sour and bottled.

Haw River bottled a Flander's Red I believe if you want to buy into the $495 barnraiser premium package.

Big Boss makes hells bizness which is a pretty great sour. (doubtful in any bottle form)

Olde Hickory's Southern Bell is bottles and is nicely tart, but not really sour.

Local breweries in NC are not really yet at the stage where bottling anything other than popular styles like IPA, pale, porters and stouts. Several of the new breweries are ready to start changing it up, but I don't see much in bottles in the foreseeable future.

RedneckBeerz likes this.
  11. Head-high

Head-high Aficionado (150) Virginia Jun 15, 2012

OBX Brewing Station puts out sours.

ASUBeer likes this.
  12. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Forgot about them. Expensive and the reviews aren't great, so I've never tried.

13. I heard that Wicked Weed has a nice sour (sours?) but sadly I can't confirm this first-hand.

14. Yet another reason to go to Asheville to confirm.

15. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

They do, though I don't know if they're willing to put them in growlers since they're much smaller batches.

16. abb610

abb610 Savant (290) North Carolina Oct 14, 2010

I've had their sour ale (Flanders) a few times and like it

17. That was true when I was there a couple of months ago. Let's hope that policy changes.

18. A couple of years ago in VERY limited quantity (maybe a keg or two) they had a sour First Frost that Sean will eventually grow tired of me bringing up, but what can I say... it was awesome and was the beer that first turned me on to the style. I keep dreaming that someday it will make its way back.

peetoteeto likes this.
  19. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

Intentionally?

20. ewright

Yeah, all of 230 bottles. I still have one (#10). Need to find a good time to open it sometime soon.

21. Handle

Both great beers, but unfortunately neither were bottled. You can get Smoked Amber in growlers, but those can be costly to ship.

22. We need to get more NC brewers on board with the 32oz growler, at least it would be less weight and less liquid if someone didn't wind up liking it

Handle likes this.
  23. ewright

The recently opened Trophy Brewing in Raleigh seems to be going this route.
    [​IMG]

24. You can "bug" (har har, like yeast) me as much as you'd like on Sour First Frost. I can't wait to get it back someday.

The main thing for us is to ensure that we separate our main brewing area from the sour beers, which takes a lot more money and time than I thought it would. But hopefully we're at a point where we can develop our wood-aged beer initiative in earnest.

tlh1005 and Handle like this.
  25. Wicked Weed does the 32oz growlers. Bottom filled too!

26. Trophy does a gose which is a sour salted beer, haven't had it yet, but not many breweries are making this style anymore. More of a dead german style of olde. A total of 67 beers under this style!

27. Yes...and it was very tasty. An oak-barrel aged Weiss and an oak-barrel aged "sour ale" (flanders).
    I had the weiss (thanks to ASUbeer) and wish I had more...GREAT beach beer. I plan to visit the brewpub during my outerbanks trip in May...maybe they'll have some bottles then.