1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Nearly 3 Years Waiting for this...

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by sprucetip, Sep 7, 2012.

1. sprucetip

sprucetip Advocate (510) Alaska Nov 13, 2007

Alaskan Brewing Co has released it's Baltic Porter for the first time since late in 2009. It should be available at finer grog shops along the west coast. At risk of making it so popular that it becomes harder for me to get close to where it is made, I hereby profess my deep fondness for this brew and suggest that committed beer geeks in its distribution range keep an eye peeled and give her a try if you are lucky enough to find her. Maybe Belmont Station will have a display pyramid made out of it, but it will likely be slim pickins in most places.
  2. JohnnyP3

JohnnyP3 Savant (330) Alaska Dec 13, 2009

Picked up a case last week. Plan to have a few this year, a few next and so on. Will be my first time trying Alaskan's Baltic Porter. Have read several good reviews of it lately. Looking forward to drinking my first when it gets a little colder out. Hope you enjoy drinking the bottles you pick up.
  3. aedeos

aedeos Aficionado (150) Washington Dec 15, 2007

shoot, had no idea it was out already. This is absolutely a case I want.
  4. julian

julian Savant (340) Washington May 31, 2008

Where is this available? I'd love to try this and haven't seen it myself yet...
  5. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Picked two up @ Beer Junction today.
  6. aedeos

Picked up a baker's dozen in Bellingham today. If it's as good as the last release, I'll be getting another case. This is one I can sit on forever.
  7. bstyle

bstyle Advocate (705) Indiana Apr 27, 2006

Is anybody kind enough to trade a few bottles? Let's work something out! Cheers!
  8. julian

T
    Thanks!
  9. bstyle

bstyle Advocate (705) Indiana Apr 27, 2006

Crickets....
  10. aedeos

This isn't the trade forum. There's a place to ask for that.
    Photekut likes this.
  11. According to a source in Portland, the distributor is waiting for the Raspberry Wheat to roll off the shelves before delivering the Porter.
  12. aedeos

Good luck seeing it within three years, then.
  13. Tacoma Boys has a shitload.
    libbey likes this.
  14. price?
  15. $8 If I recall.
    libbey likes this.
  16. julian

Just picked one up and cracked it open. So far, not impressed with it. It smelled overly alcoholic and solventy on the first pour. Taste seemed to follow: fusel alcohol/solventy. After a few sips it gets slightly better, but the cherry/vanilla seem to be muddled and squashed by the alcohol. I'm not getting any chocolate/roast, just this unpleasant harsh alcoholic solventy bite. I've brewed an imperial stout that had the exact SAME aroma/flavor and I did not like it. Ended up dumping the whole keg. Pretty bummed, I was stoked for this one.
  17. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (325) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

well that is a bit of a bummer, I hope they don't tack on an extra cellaring fee
  18. woemad

woemad Champion (770) Washington Jun 8, 2003

Damn, I just got used to the idea I wasn't going anywhere after work. Now, I suppose I have to trudge up the hill to get some.
    J/K!
    Loved that beer, and am pissed I haven't been on line enough lately to have seen this thread earlier!
  19. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Yup. They are still sitting on Raspberry Wheat and some of the Birch Bock that preceded it. I was told they wouldn't release the Baltic Porter until they're both flushed out of their warehouse. You'd think they would offer some sort of close-out pricing to keep things from backing up like that, but no.
  20. JohnnyP3

JohnnyP3 Savant (330) Alaska Dec 13, 2009

Had my first Baltic Porter this evening and was not disappointed in the slightest. Great sipping brew with notes of cherry, brown sugar, oak, and vanilla. Also some tobacco, charred malt, and some booze. Made the first snow fall all the more tolerable.
  21. Belmont Station has this now. Picked up a few and cracked one open last night. Boozy first few sips. I kept getting cherry/fig throughout the session. Worth the wait on this one!
  22. The Safeway on Roosevelt in Seattle has lots for $8 a bottle. Cracked one open with some friends while brewing and really enjoyed it.
  23. Yeah, this is really good. The vanilla and cherry flavors came through the strongest for me. Glad I bought 2 so I can age one bottle.
  24. woemad

woemad Champion (770) Washington Jun 8, 2003

I actually had to wait a couple of weeks to get it at Huckleberry's - my closest beer store option. JB's had it sooner, but I'm always leery of buying there due to stuff sitting out on shelves and getting zapped by flourscent lighting, so I tend to limit myself to what defionitely can't be found anywhere else.
  25. AdamU726

AdamU726 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 5, 2010

Anybody want some midwest goodies?