1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

NEBCo vs. Santa

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Timmush, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

NEBCo vs. Santa???
    I would pick New England Brewing company.
    I just wanted to share my experience on Friday at the brewery.
    I drove from NJ and stopped in on my usual route on my way to RI. I was hoping to pick up some Gandhi bot-, IST and was really wishing for some Barrel Aged IST,. When I got there. The Imperial Stout Trooper was kicked, there were no more bottles of IST and only growler fills of Gandhi. I asked the guy behind the taps if there was anymore IST considering I drove a while to get some. He said that they tapped a new keg this AM and it was already finished. I was bummed. So I asked for a growler of Gandhi bot (not a bad consolation prize). While I was getting the growler filled, one of the guys from the back walked over and put another full growler on the bar. I looked... It had IST written in the cap. I asked? "Is that for me?" He said that it was the last of the keg before he switched it out (maybe for the 668?) I said "wow, thanks". I went to pay for it... "What is that $20?"., and the guy who brought the growler said "Just charge him for the glass...4 bucks".
    What an awesome brewery and an amazing gesture.
    Needless to say, I stopped around the corner at Amity and bought about $200 worth of Gandhi, 668, Elm city and Sea Hag just to show my appreciation.

Those guys are great! Please support them!
    cheers55, seplo, DrEntropy and 14 others like this.
  2. RMoeNay

RMoeNay Advocate (505) Connecticut Sep 22, 2010

There are great people working at that brewery, and on top of that they make great tasty beers. We are lucky they are local to the New Haven area.
    Jwale73 and smutty33 like this.
  3. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Awesome story! Rob and Matt kickass!
  4. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

This is nothing new from the fine gents @NEBCo.
    Always a good time,great guys.

Next time you go back to the brewery bring Matt a bottle or two of Zima to thank him.He loves that stuff.:p

Enjoy the growler of IST!

Cheers
  5. Man this place sounds great! I can't wait to visit in about a month or so. Any word on if they are going to brew any fuzzy ducky IPA again? Any information would be great.

Thanks
    smutty33 likes this.
  6. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Yup. Soonish! I'd recommend watching this thread

Per Facebook

7. Their tap board says FBD is "soon". Didn't ask about a more specific time frame.
  8. Thanks for all the help guys. Hopefully it does not go on and kick, before I move to CT late January.
  9. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

yeah, that's the kind of brewery they are. i visited connecticut for a day before returning to NYC right before the hurricane, looking for the then-new barleywine. they were out of it, but when i mentioned that i only had a day (so wouldn't get it in stores a few days later), they produced a bottle from nowhere and gave it to me for free (i bought another growler of something, probably sea hag, after). being trapped in manhattan during that terrible storm was slightly easier with some top notch barleywine.

definitely worth supporting; great people, great beer.

edit: p.s. FBD = best beer i had in 2012. steep competition from hill farmstead and CBC's cerise cassee, but FBD was mindblowing. perfect IPA.
    Trevdawg, RMoeNay, smutty33 and 2 others like this.