1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Need advice on setting up a Nitro system

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by Shmota, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Shmota

Shmota Aficionado (125) Indiana Jun 16, 2008

I Have been running a Co2 Draft system for about 3 years. I am looking to throw a keg of Founders Breakfast Stout on for the fall and thought it was a good time to try Nitrogen. Looking on More Beer I found one option for a faucet one option "sold out" for a guage and one option for a 5 lb tank.

I would like to draw from experience and find out what the better brands of faucets and guages are for nitro. Do I need different type or different length line. What pressure should I be starting with. Anything you guys have to offer would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. I am not sure if the FBS runs on nitro or not, I do not think so - not to say you couldnt run it nitro. From my research the faucets seem to be only made by two primary manufactures, I went with the Micromatic.

For my 2 tap setup, I just purchased the following:

Recommended line regardless of nitro or co2 seems to be this Bev-Seal, I found it from Bird Man Brewing:
    Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra Barrier Tubing
    http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/accuflex-bev-seal-ultra-barrier-tubing-3-16-id-50ft-free-shipping/

From Amazon via Beverage Factory:
    Stainless Steel Premium Guinness Stout Beer Faucet
    http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Ste.../B003714DUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347711889

From Kegworks:

742N Premium Double Gauge Nitrogen Regulator

9100-NITROGEN Nitrogen Air Tank 10lb Aluminum

3. dfess1

dfess1 Initiate (0) Pennsylvania May 20, 2003

check into your local welding supply place. For the amount you'll actually be using this, a 5lb bottle is all you need. My local guy (who is also a homebrewer) said the 5lb bottle for beer gas (75% nitro, 25% co2) could be put into a bottle that has the same fittings as a normal 5lb co2 bottle. i.e., no need for a special one trick pony regulator. Different bottle, sure, but I can use a normal reg, and it works as a backup for my main if something happens to that.