1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Need help researching a beer (Kaiser Gold)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bubseymour, Jan 15, 2013.

1. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (685) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

So I've been looking all over this website and also on Google and I can find any identical matches (some close ones perhaps but none that match...no Goggle images of the can or label either).

Bought a 6-pack of cans in Maryland of Kaiser Gold Premium Beer (sale of $3.99 so I couldn't pass up the temptation despite my low expectations). Says its brewed by Privatbrauerei Eichbaum in Mannheim, Germany. Listed at 4.8% ABV. So on BA I found 21 beers made by that brewer. There are 6 beers listed at 4.8%. This is either a pilsner or a Euro Lager. From that the match narrows to 4 beers but none of the details match to "Kaiser Gold" in title or even what appears to be a German translation. Can anyone help? I'd like to write a review or tick it but I want to either find the accurate match or the next closest option and at least in my review I can write "can beer called Kaiser Gold" just to let others know.

2. bubseymour

Definitely not the one from Brazil (I saw that one listed out there). Its from the German company I mentioned yet everything on the can is in English. Sort of looks like a Natty Bo can

3. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Nope...just discovered that and deleted post!

4. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

google images! whenever I have something that I can ID on sight, but don't know the name of, I do that, and 90% of the time I find it....

JxExM likes this.
  5. LeRose

That brewery certainly doesn't list anything even close. I cant read German to save my ass and even i can figure that out! Nice pictures, though....

6. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (465) Germany Jul 31, 2011

7. bubseymour

Nope not that guy...just a white, gold and red labeled can in English. Imported by Galeo Imports, LLC Halethorpe, MD (I've lived in Maryland my whole life and never heard of a town called Halethorpe. You guys work on the beer, and I'll research the mysterious Maryland town. Maybe its from alien origin? Or a gov't conspiracy beer?

8. bubseymour

Well Halethorpe, MD exists. Its a small area in Baltimore County. That's something I suppose.

9. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

Private label German import-brand? Packaging adapted for export to the US? In cases like this I'd contact the brewery directly to try and get an answer.

10. bubseymour

Never seen a German import at $3.99 a 6 pack, with no Euro macro-brew backing to make it this cheap or traceabilty of it anywhere on the web or breweries own website either. Despite the decent taste I'm kinda scared there is something wrong with this whole thing. Any have a geiger counter to wave over me! I think I'm starting to glow in the dark!

11. Wernesgruener Pils is $4.99 a 6 pack at the local Aldi. Perhaps there's something similar behind this. Personally I've never heard of it (though Kaiser Gold sounds similar to any number of cheap canned beers you find over there at discount grocery stores...my "local" version was Gold Krone).

12. LeRose

It has to be a private label kind of thing. Shouldn't be this difficult to backtrack.

13. bubseymour

No it is not Austian. It says on the can" product of Germany" and I gave the brewer name and its from Mannheim Germany. 4.8% abv as well. So strange that even the brewery website with 20 beers listed doesn't recognize this one.

14. Have you contacted the importer, Galeo Imports? They got a "Contact" form on their website as well as toll-free and local phone numbers, and an email address. They might be able to tell you which particular Eichbaum beer they import under that brand name or if it's an export-only beer with its own recipe.

(Note that often importers are not particularly "consumer-friendly" and often not set up for customer questions.)

15. I just did some research for a friend's son who is in Mannheim for his yr abroad. Eichbaum is the major brewer in the city and this is an export beer. Not uncommon for larger brewers to market a mediocre beer for foreign consumption.

16. mjtierney2

Yeah, Eichbaum is in Mannheim, not too far from me. I would not be surprised if it was an export-only beer. It's not listed on their Wikipedia page, for whatever that is worth. Could OP post a picture? As OP's other "question", I'm guessing it is a Helles and not a Pils. I've seen numerous Helles beers labeled as "Gold" (e.g.: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/6078/36565 ) but pilseners are always called pilseners.

17. It's on the Galeo Imports website - here's a pic of it "flattened" as it where:

[​IMG]

18. mjtierney2

I've never seen that beer, at least not to my recollection, and I'm in Heidelberg, a neighboring town that gets a lot of Eichbaum (although I don't know that I've ever tried any of their beers). Since the label is entirely in English I am assuming this doesn't get sold in Germany, at least not under this name. It occurred to me that maybe they sell an adjunct lager strictly for the US market (???) but the label above does not have ingredients listed. Nor does it proudly display the Eichbaum name, so I don't know, maybe I'm on to something?

19. djaeon

djaeon Champion (755) California Oct 2, 2006

Doesn't look like it's in BA. If you want to write a review anyway, why not add it as a new beer?

20. Crusader

From what I've read, the term Gold is often used by German breweries to indicate a milder beer, with an abv below an export lager but with a bitterness that is less than a pilsner. Whether this beer's name is any indication of belonging to this cross-breed beer-style I couldn't say though.

Case in point: Flensburger Gold
    http://www.flens.de/unternehmen/index.php?id=15

21. mjtierney2

Huh. I just read the Beck's description of Beck's Gold and it was very similar (I'll spare you the website). I've always thought of the word "Gold" strictly as a marketing label. The Flensburger you link to is listed on this site as an Export while the Beck's Gold is listed as a Pils. I would think that a beer of this style (i.e., German Pale Lager) with less alcohol than an Export and less bitterness as than a Pils would by process of elimination be a Helles, no?

22. Crusader

Well from what I've read the attenuation is supposed to be higher for one of these "gold" beers than what is typical for a helles, so that it's a beer with the body of a pilsner but with lower bitterness also, a modified pilsner basically. It was/is meant to provide a German alternative to the many import beers which are light in body and in bitterness.

23. bubseymour

Yes this is it! Good research help thanks! I had a picture of the can saved on my computer but couldn't figure out how to paste it into the forum post (URL code to enter or something I couldn't figure out).

So now I need to figure out which similar beer to use to tick it. I think I'll go with the Euro Lager 4.8% by the same brewer since that is probably those closest match to this one.

24. Um, you shouldn't do that. Just add this new beer to BA with a review.

25. bubseymour

Ok
    I'll do that! I only thought the administrators created a new beer to post but ill look into how to do it.

26. CoolWater

CoolWater Initiate (15) Feb 4, 2013

Hey Folks - So I emailed the distributor Galeo-Imports and got a call back within an hour from the owner / manager, "Lenny". The beer is made by Eichbaum, and is only made as an export, and exclusive to Galeo-Imports. Lenny told me that he will be looking to make some modifications to the recipe with Eichbaum to further improve the flavor (within the year). ABV is currently 4.8%. It's great to see a small distributor enter the market and compete with some good / economical options.

27. bubseymour

That's great! CoolWater you are a true Beer Patriot! Thanks for helping the cause.

28. finewinematt

finewinematt Initiate (5) Jan 11, 2014

Halethorpe is a suburb of south Baltimore. I work at a shop and I buy beer from Leonid (the proprietor of Galeo, and a good man).

Basically, he talks to the Eichbaum brewery, tells them what he wants them to brew. They brew it, and send a container to his warehouse in Halethorpe.

The beer is drinkable. We sell it for $3.99/six pack and $12.99/case.

It's been one of our top revenue producers within our beer department. Such velocity!