1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Need help with structuring a beer tasting

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by raydogfresh, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Hey y'all,

So, a few friends and I have really gone pretty far down the beer snob road, but not so much that we care how the hell many fingers of head are present after a pour. But we might want to get there. We just had a fairly ridiculous tasting the other night (Heady Topper, BCBS, Older Viscosity, and about 12 of their friends), but it just seemed like a waste after a while. I usually love Gandhi-Bot, but it was just kind of eh after some of these other things.

So, if you could opine: Should we stick to one basic style? Should we go from lowest ABV to highest? Seriously, any opinions would be welcome.

Thanks!
  2. robhbest

robhbest Aficionado (195) Michigan Apr 16, 2012

My group will usually do it by style, sours, stouts, ipas, belgians, ect. for the night.
  3. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

We like to keep things mixed up,style wise, so two beers of the same style aren't following each other. We are also mostly sour heads so things mostly go in the something (ipa, stout, etc) - sour - something - sour - something - sour format until our tongues are fuzzy.

oh, and plenty of water in between, too.
  4. Oh yeah, meant to ask: Anything that can successfully cleanse a palate between Imperial styles would also be appreciated
  5. maximumu13

maximumu13 Aficionado (175) Ohio Aug 31, 2010

I personally think hoppy beers are a great palate cleanser between maltier beers, you could also try cheeses, cured meats and bread. and +1 to plenty of water.
  6. Cheese, popcorn, crackers, bread. Many options. Plenty of water. Have fun with it. Just don't go overboard. 14 different beers could mess with anybody.