1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Need some Indy feedback

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by aasher, Nov 14, 2012.

1. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

It's been a great year for Beer at Kahns. We've had almost a full year of our Beerocracy program, including our first ever Sour and Funk tasting and Barrel Aged Beer tasting, have sold more beer than ever, and have gotten a significant amount of our former BMC customers to turn to craft. We're moving more local beer than ever before and almost need two full Indiana doors at each location. While all of this is great for both our stores and our local breweries, I must ask a few questions.

What changes have you liked?
    What have you enjoyed the most?
    What would you like us to change, and why?
    What can Kahns improve upon?
    Etc.

All feedback is welcome.
    Cheers everyone and thanks for the support!
  2. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

You probably don't need my feedback, but what the hell! ;)

Even though I have missed the last couple due to conflicts with my kiddo's sports, I LOVE your Beerocracy tastings, each I attended has been a blast and have heard nothing but positive feedback from people in attendance. Of course I give the nod as best to the Sour tasting, but loved the Battle of Belgium 4 night event as well! (Sad I missed the BA one....who won the KH???)

So that would be what I have enjoyed most, and also the change I have liked the best.

As far as changes go I would say just keep doing what you are doing and try and get rid of some of the stale stock taking up shelf space (which I know you had nothing to do with!) Would love to see maybe a defined "Indiana" shelf space in addition to the way you have coolers. I know when people from out of the area come in it would make it easier on them to see some of our local highlights they may have not even heard of. Pretty sure they would see them in cooler due to way you have it set up and I know the shelves are kind of that way but not as clear.

Also, any way to have a separate "beer" newsletter? I know wine is probably still king but I always have to load entire doc when email comes to get to the beer part. Just wonder if some people discard it right away that are only in it for the beer?

Just want to say (not ass kissing at all), I am impressed with the progression in the time since you took over the job. It's cool to know you, both as a drinking partner and a friend, and keep up the good work!

Cheers!
    Mjmoser likes this.
  3. jwb06

jwb06 Aficionado (120) Indiana Dec 24, 2009

I agree with basically everything Mordor said above. Really enjoy the store and always have a good experience. The beerocracy events are pretty awesome and the barrel aged event was amazing

I agree on the beer newsletter. It would be a good opportunity to discuss new breweries being distributed in Indiana, upcoming releases and maybe even an "Al's corner" to recommend a particular beer or style that month. That's really all that I can think of.

Keep up the good work!
  4. aasher

I have done a Al's Beer of the Month a few times. I totally forgot this month. How about Urban Chestnut Daft Rye Whiskey BA barleywine?

Yesterday I did our first "Customer Picks Friday Twitter Sale". I posted that the first three people to pick a beer would make those beers 10% off all day.

Unfortunately, there isn't a way for us to just email "beer K Klub" members and I don't want to advertise anything limited to 2,000 people.

A few other people have sent me personal messages regarding this thread. Everyone please feel free to post your thoughts here, good or bad. Cheers!
  5. damngoode

damngoode Savant (305) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

Woah, holy late to the party, Batman. The holidays sorta crept up on me here. So here we go...

1) Love the Beerocracy Events idea - raffley stuff and tastings. All great way to get people into the store and new stuff into their mouths.

2) Love the real or perceived preference to Kahnniseurs. It's nice to be part of the group

3) Love the selection of imports. You guys do a great job finding the gems out there. I'm sure balancing the rotation isn't easy.

4) Like the tweeting - can you fit an abbreviated tasting note into a tweet? I dare you. 100 days, 100 tweets.

5) Improve-ey - Crazy idea alert... how about organizing your shelf differently? It seems like you go by country of origin on the shelf. That probably helps when someone's looking for a Radler or a specific Belgian, but why not organize it by type? Yes, what's one man's red is another's amber, blah blah blah, but I think if you're looking to advocate a rich sampling of beers from different producers, you organize as best as you can around the type of beer.

Hope this helps. Happy New Year's to all!

Dan
  6. Vav

Vav Savant (475) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

U should carry more beers like Ninkasi IPAs and Pliny the Elder and keep all your IPAs cold and have more THREE FLOYDS.

Also u should arrange by styles and have every single IPA cold and be better about rotating your stock and make sure no IPAs are more than 2 weeks old.

U should have a lottery for every limited release but hold some bottles back for your best customers like me sense i come there all the time.
    aasher, bauermj, gpawned and 4 others like this.
  7. emyers

emyers Savant (255) Illinois Jan 11, 2009

This made me spit Galaxy Unicorn all over my screen...
    aasher likes this.
  8. I'll chime in late as well. Love the Beerocracy events, even though I've only made it to one. I've almost made it to a couple of others. Which actually brings me to my biggest wish for Kahn's: a location that is more convenient for me. I'd love it if you opened a Fishers or Geist-area store. Selfish, I know, but the North Willow store is a pain to get to from Fishers on a weekday evening.

Other than that, some of the things already mentioned above, especially more beer-prominent communications. Even if you can't do something beer-specific, it would be nice if beer could be the headliner more often.
  9. Docrock

Docrock Savant (435) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

Just found Kahns this year. Drive through Indy at least once a month plus do business there at least 3-4 weeks a year. I will second MordorMongo's thought, having an area dedicated to "local/Indiana" breweries would be nice. I will try just about anything but enjoy supporting locals and not knowing who all of them are if they were together, it could improve their exposure.
  10. aasher

Oh I know about the distance, I live in Fishers too!
  11. aasher

We have an Indiana door at both Keystone and North Willow. We are close to needing two doors after bringing n Cutters this past week.
  12. Docrock

Docrock Savant (435) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

Excellent, I will be in Indy in a few weeks and will be sure to stop in!
  13. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

Sell Two Hearted for $8.99 all day every day.

I may have just slammed that 6er before voicing my suggestion
    aasher likes this.
  14. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (535) Indiana Mar 31, 2010

I'll second this as well. Unfortunately I don't make it to the Keystone store very often, but do hit downtown from time to time. I'm always amazed by what I can find there that I didn't realize we could get in Indiana. I wish some place in Bloomington had the import selection quality of Kahn's.
    MordorMongo likes this.