1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Need to know whether secondary/bottom fermentation is used in major irish beers

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by bobbiedobbs, Aug 6, 2012.

1. bobbiedobbs

bobbiedobbs Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2012

Hi - I am travelling from the US to Ireland and hope to enjoy the beer there. However, because of an allergy, I am not supposed to drink beer made with either bottom fermentation or a secondary fermentation process. It is something about the tyramine content that builds up during that process. is Any other beer is perfectly OK. Neither process occurs with bottled or canned beer from major US domestic breweries, but is most likely to occur with homebrew. Can you tell me whether Harp, Smithwick's, McCardle's, Murphy's Irish Red, or other common beers use either process? thanks.

2. On the whole ales are top fermented and lagers bottom fermented. There are exceptions but not with Irish beer or even.other normal beers on sale there.

3. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Hmmm. If it is a strong adverse reaction to tyramine I am not sure why you would want to chance it.
    That said, a little translation makes it seem as if it is the conditioning process, the practice of leaving live yeast in the vessel to carbonate the beer, which is your culprit. Most homebrewed beers are bottle-conditioned. All cask ales are cask-conditioned. Some bottled beers from small, mid-size, and even large breweries are likewise bottle-conditioned (even in the US). These all you should carefully stay away from.
    The majority of beer from major US breweries would be filtered and then force-carbonated, eliminating the bottle-conditioning process. But I am confused because lagers are also quite often treated this way, yet you say that bottom-fermented brews (traditionally lagers, as marquis says) are also off-limits.
    My suggestion would be to go straight to the source as opposed to relying on uninformed interpretations (like mine!). Make up a list of 5 or 6 common breweries that you know you will be able to find there and write to them directly, asking whether their brews are filtered or bottle-conditioned. Good luck.

Fair warning: this forum does not usually tolerate folks looking for 'medical' advice. This thread will most likely be locked down soon with the advice to seek medical direction from more appropriate channels. That said, this is probably a better place to gain this knowledge than in a doctor's office.