1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Needed: List of Fake Craft Brews

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GaryGreen, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaryGreen

GaryGreen Aspirant (25) Indonesia Jan 3, 2013

I've run into a few of them and was disgusted. Is there anywhere that keeps a current list of corporate swill being passed off as craft? Thank you.
  2. phooky

phooky Savant (410) New York Jan 23, 2010

Not sure if there's a comprehensive list, but I'll start with some of the most prevalent:
    Blue Moon
    Shock Top
    Killian's
    Goose Island ;) (owned by AB but not 'fake' craft quality...yet)
  3. pghlee

pghlee Savant (255) Georgia Feb 24, 2006

Great Idea! A contract brewed list would be longer but useful as well
  4. Hawkharvs

Hawkharvs Aficionado (215) Iowa Sep 9, 2012

Leinenkugel (although I enjoy their vanilla porter)
  5. bum732

bum732 Advocate (630) Lesotho Feb 18, 2008

What were you disgusted by?
  6. Here's a list of all the brands, domestic and imported, from AB and MC (includes some ABI and SABMiller brands not exported to the US):

The Big Brewers Brands

Although it hasn't been kept up so neglects newer brands like Coors' Batch 19, Third Shift, that Colorado branded one, etc.
  7. Goose Island Bourbon County Stout and all its variations.
  8. manutdfan

manutdfan Initiate (0) Florida May 25, 2012

Grayton, awful beer
  9. what makes them fake? not being sarcastic at all, i genuinely don't know. is it their production numbers? more than regional distribution?
  10. My guess is their owner.
  11. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

This thread should be re-titled "Tell me what I like to drink based on your own misguided sense of authenticity"?
  12. how would a list of contract brewers be useful and/or comparable to macro brewers? Contract brewers produce some fantastic beer.
    Ranbot, JulianB, dennis3951 and 3 others like this.
  13. Hawkharvs

Hawkharvs Aficionado (215) Iowa Sep 9, 2012

I'm not extremely snobbish but they are owned by Miller/Coors.
  14. heh, i probably should have looked before i even asked. i just figured i can get their stuff here in PA, so that was enough to break the "micro" label.
  15. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

God, I love these threads....
    JohnB87, barleywinefiend and yamar68 like this.
  16. pghlee

pghlee Savant (255) Georgia Feb 24, 2006

Just printed the list and hung it up on the cork board under "Beers not to buy in 2013"
    acelin and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  17. If you're not going to buy GI or Widmer Bros, I'm ok with that. more for me.

A lot of these on the list, aren't Miller or InBev purely owners on a financial basis?
    Porkhustle and cnbrown313 like this.
  18. For the true faux brands (how's that for an oxymoron?) - those brewed by AB or MC at their own US facilities, usually using dba names for the brewery name on the label, looks for these cities:

Newark, NJ​
    Jacksonville, FL​
    Merrimack, NH​
    Fairfield, CA​
    Baldwinsville, NY​
    Cartersville, GA​
    Golden, CO​
    Shenandoah, VA​
    Eden, NC​
    Albany, GA​
    Trenton, OH​
    Irwindale, CA​
    Houston, TX​
    Ft. Worth, TX​
    Columbus, OH​
    Chippewa Falls, WI

And these cities should raise an eyebrow, at least, for "unknown" new beers and further research should probably be done before purchasing:

Williamsburg, VA​
    Fort Collins, CO​
    Milwaukee, WI​
    St. Louis, MO​
    Denver, CO​
    Los Angeles, CA​

And then a lot of "craftish" store brands (like those of Winery Exchange) and other "faux" craft are contract brewed at old line breweries like:

Genesee/NAB - Rochester, NY​
    F X Matt - Utica, NY​
    The Lion - Wilkes-Barre, PA​
    City - La Crosse, WI - Latrobe, PA - Memphis TN​
    Minhas - Monroe, WI​
    Stevens Point - Stevens Point, WI​
    Cold Spring, Cold Spring, MN​
    LiquidAmber and Lucidious like this.
  19. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

I hate what AB InBev did to Old Dominion. It used to be one of the best things about living in NoVA. Now, it's just a sad joke.
    dunix likes this.
  20. Yes, Goose Island is partially owned by InBev. But it doesn't taste like most InBev products, So who cares??

I got some "real" craft beer here if you want to trade your Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, Pepe Nero etc...
    ErikTheRedd likes this.
  21. codysjb

codysjb Savant (400) Florida Jun 16, 2010

I believe the answer is "kinda". InBev acquisition of Goose Island certainly didn't kill the amazingness of Bourbon County, if anyone thinks it did then feel free to send it to me for disposal, but they did a little more than just take over financial ownership. The barrel program exploded, the head brewmaster stepped down. The exact results of this may not be known at the moment but it could (and I say could not will) lead to lower quality. Its somewhat inevitable that when you get rid of the man who started a brand of beer and decide to make 10 times as much, especially given the necessary care for BA beers, the quality will be affected.

In terms of purely financial ownership, a brewery like Terrapin could be thrown in here since MillerCoors owns a minority interest in the company (I believe Terrapin took out a loan from MillerCoors in exchange for stock but don't quote me on that), but I drink Terrapin every week and will continue to since they make excellent beer and the big brewery owning some share didnt affect the quality.
  22. They are (well, in 2009, were) the brands owned, partially-owned or imported/distributed in the US by ABI, MolsonCoors and SABMiller.

See the "Key" at the end of the list which distinguishes those that are partially-owned or simply imported by those companies.
    Chaz likes this.
  23. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (325) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

I was also shocked by how much I enjoy that brew.
    creepinjeeper and Hawkharvs like this.
  24. crossovert

crossovert Champion (765) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Kilkenny (they claim it is craft-brewed)
    Newcastle (variants)
    Alexander Keiths (variants and flagship)
    Becks (variants and flagship)
    Primo
    McSorleys Ale (and variants)
    Ballantine XXX
    Schlitz Gusto
    RJ King Wingwalker
    Big Flats
    Barrel Trolley
    Cable Car
    Double Take
    Moes Backroom
    Horny Goat
    James Page
    Pigs Eye
    Windy City
    Chi Town
    Point
    Weinhards
    plenty of others...
  25. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (300) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

Yup. The equally illogical flip side of folks who will only drink name brand beer...

Drink what tastes good - period.
    albertq17, LeRose, JxExM and 3 others like this.
  26. Well, until I notice a trend of awfulness coming from GI, I'm still ok with it. I think a lot of people write it off just to be dicks, which is their loss IMO. It seems like it would be foolish for InBev to purchase something of great quality and a great fanbase, just to let it get worse. But hey, what the fuck do I know, you know?

And I've heard nothing but good things about terrapin, but Ive never had it.

Hoegaarden was a gateway beer for me, and I still think its good. granted, maybe not as good as it USED to be...
    cjoc83 likes this.
  27. Goose Island Brewing Co. (but not the brewpubs) is wholly owned by Anheuser-Busch, which is in turn the wholly-owned US subsidiary of ABInBev.
  28. This is all that really needs to be said on the matter.
    BigMike, albertq17, JxExM and 3 others like this.
  29. "Period?"

One can "drink what they like" and still want to know the origin, the brewer and the owner of the beer.

Not much different, in my mind, than reading the credits on a favorite CD or watching them roll by at the end of film.
    Tut, cjoc83, mcintire78 and 2 others like this.
  30. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Point?
    dennis3951 likes this.
  31. Yes, they sold the last of it last year. Thanks for pointing that out.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  32. Got to agree with that 100%. Taste is what will always win, let's see if I get beat up for this statement again.
    cmannes likes this.
  33. crossovert

crossovert Champion (765) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

point is some pretty poor stuff
  34. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (300) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

Agree, but I think the direction of this thread (calling them fake and disgusting) was to identify them in order to avoid them. Would you turn away from a great beer because it was made by a larger manufacturer? I don't understand the logic. Like a '60s "stick it to the man" thing I guess.
    psbaucom, cmannes and JxExM like this.
  35. I, and many others, care. There's some things that are more important to me than the taste of the beer in the bottle (blasphemy I know).
    pghlee, cjoc83, GeddyLeeRocks and 5 others like this.
  36. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

How'd you come up with this list and do you know each one's owner? For example, which macro owns Horny Goat?
  37. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I think part of it for people is that they disguise their ownership of these "craft beers". No mention of MillerCoors on the label of Blue Moon, for example. Otherwise I think most people are willing to let bygones be bygones- if its bad beer, screw it. If its bad beer ninja-made by BMC, screw it too with a cherry on top. If its good beer, regardless of who makes it, we'll drink it. Something like that.
  38. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Yah... But they aren't owned by a big conglomerate are they? I know they do a lot of contract brewing themselves.
  39. "Craft" beer and "Micro Breweries" are soooo 2012. My friends and I now only drink "Pico Brews" ie Beers whose annual production measures <2 quarts and serving type is by the teaspoon. If we find out they produced anything north of a gallon we burn them down.
    psbaucom, greg357, Horbar and 15 others like this.
  40. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (255) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

Though this not be the case for the OP, for some people, it's not merely about quality. Some people choose to withdraw from purchasing products from companies whose practices may be less than stellar. For instance, certain clothing companies and child labor. It may not be good enough for someone that they make a really slick pair of shoes that he or she ignores something they don't believe in. You may not agree and think, "hey, as long as I like the product, who cares who is behind it," but I find it hard to fault someone who does care.
    cjoc83, CowsandBeer, Mooglet and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.