1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Needed: List of Fake Craft Brews

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GaryGreen, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'll start asking around about this muscling. Regarding those middle-ground bars - these establishments have a business model and it does not necessarily focus on craft beer drinkers. As far as "converting" someone to craft, my favorite beer in college was Old Mil (1984). Not much craft around then, but I did not change over night and neither would someone who visited a middle ground bar. All of those places have something that is not BMC. If that convert is moving in the craft beer direction they will find the beers they like, but it will not happen overnight, because change takes time and as I think we agree, not all bars carry a wide range of craft beer.
  2. LOL @ people hating Goose Island Bourbon County ONLY BECAUSE THEY CAN'T GET ANY!!!!!

LOL Must suck not living in a GI distributed area...You have to go out of your way to make about 10 posts in one thread simply to hate.

But don't listen to me....Please just leave it on the shelf and never mention the name again(less hype)...That way; more for the rest of us!

And DOES IT MAKE YOUR POINT BETTERERER IF YOU USE BIG LETTERS?????
  3. I'd thank them, and then cater to a crowd that knows better than to drink Bud Light
  4. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (255) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

Wut?
  5. I could have gotten as much BCBS as I could drink. In one store it was mismarked and was $10.99 a 4 pack. I have had a half dozen BA's offer to send me some because they think it will change my mind. I have chosen not to support them.
    Zach136 likes this.
  6. jtg5678

The point is that BMC does it, and some people choose not to support companies like that.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  7. I would actually love to try the Cherry, you know, if anyone wants to send me some. Then maybe I can hate it with a valid opinion (I've never had it, so i cant say I hate it.).
    Horbar likes this.
  8. Drinking a beer, in and of itself, does not make you morally bankrupt.
    Having the attitude "I don't care where a product comes from and where my money goes" does indicate a moral defect.
  9. How does yer personal taste make you morally bankrupt? Just curious.
  10. Has nothing to do with personal taste.
    Having the attitude "I don't care where a product comes from and where my money goes" does indicate a moral defect.
  11. Repost :rolleyes:
  12. Jaxxxx you've made LOTS of posts in this one thread...All because you want to convey that you don't support AB-In Bev (or other large corporations).

By simply posting on the internet...YOU ARE supporting ENORMOUS corporations...Unless you are living 100% off the grid, everyone living in America is supporting enormous corporations.

....O wait...Clearly that is not your reason for posting WTM in this thread.....Its clear you are just a hater of GI(and like I said, most likely because you cant get any).
  13. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

I heard about that... but I heard that the stores had to put up the displays in order to be considered to get BCBS.
  14. What do you mean exactly by "strong armed?" Beer salesman sell things, displays and space are one of the things we try to gain as they directly affect our selling potential.

I have a hell of a hard time believing an AB distributor would "threaten to stop sending bud light" to an account because they wouldn't buy something else the person has to sell. This isn't the 1930's meat packing industry, social media is a pretty powerful tool and easily accessible to Joe Schmo bar owner. The salesperson may well have been pushy about getting said bar owner to buy something but the reason far more likely than anything else is because he wants his boss off his ass.
    Sludgeman likes this.
  15. jtg5678

Dude, just stop.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  16. Really? "moral defect" seems a little harsh. I wasn't aware that that is how it works or should work.
    I need a product, I find said product at the price I want to pay, product meets or exceeds expectations, I am happy. I didn't know that I was morally obligated to worry about everything else involved as a consumer.
  17. I never said I don't support large corporations. I have no problem with corporations. I own a couple of corporations. I purchase stock in corporations.

I simply refuse to support corporations whose business practices I do not agree with.
    This is quite easy to do when it comes to luxury goods such as beer.
    It is almost impossible to do when it comes to something like gas.
    It is not necessary for me to be "off the grid" to take a moral stand.
    Your position that it is all or nothing is either naive or ignorant.
    frazbri and Providence like this.
  18. Unfortunately Bud Light was the cash cow at this bar. Losing it would have meant certain doom for her business.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  19. That really sucks. I wish it was as easy to say, "fuck it" for that business owner
  20. It's disturbing (but wholly predictable), this sort of backlash to the backlash where the statement is "Who cares as long as it tastes good?"

I can assure you this is exactly what A-B etc. are counting on (and not in a boogeyman, all corporations are evil kind of way). In a world where we have true independent craft beer options, A-B acts to buy up brands, consolidate your choices as a consumer, and bully/bribe bars and retailers into carrying only their products. There is a direct correlation between this behavior, tolerance of this behavior, and a declining number of options for you as a consumer.

A-B has every right to buy up brands, to brew craft, and to try to sell high quality beers. They're only about a decade late in responding to this market, but they have, so good for them. As long as they feel like adhering to the same ethical business practices the rest of us do - no free kegs to bars if an A-B brand bumps another craft. No extortion where Bud Light or other staple brands are withheld if A-B niche brands are not featured. No tearing down competitors signage and throwing out marketing items (not at the bar manager's direction) to replace them with A-B merch.

Finally, if there's a craft brand you love that is distributed by the local Bud house, ask them how they feel about Goose Island.
    jacksback, SammyJaxxxx and Providence like this.
  21. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (445) New York Jun 7, 2005

Anyone have a list of fake BeerAdvocates?
  22. I agree that it is near impossible to live completely off the grid. Nevertheless, I think it's still worth it to try to limit my corporate support. I know I am typing on a computer that was made by a huge corportation, I know I am wearing some articles of clothing that were made by a huge corporation, I know that the gas I put in my car was sold to me by a huge corporation. Awareness of it, and an attempt to limit it is a step in the right direction in my book. Simply recognizing that it's difficult to live 100% corporate-free shouldn't be an invitation to not try at all.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  23. jtg5678

Your moral obligation is self-imposed. If you find that a product in and of itself should be good and it does not matter how it was produced or the tactics of the company producing it, then really you have no moral obligation to anything you buy.

I'm sure plenty here aren't happy with practices with certain food companies and how they treat animals, why is it that ludicrous for someone to have convictions towards brewery conglomerates?
  24. I didn't say it was ludicrous, just was a little confused by the blanket statement of a moral defect as a consumer.
    Dave1999 likes this.
  25. Good points all around.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  26. jtg5678

He qualified his statement, though, so it's not a blanket.

As consumers, our choices matter, even with beer. It's not for everyone to make conscious decisions about what they buy that extend beyond the product in and of itself, but for those that do, I applaud them. Consumer ignorance plays a big role in corporate corruption and bad practices. It does not hurt to educate ourselves and make decisions based on that.
    SammyJaxxxx and Providence like this.
  27. I have been walking right by it on shelves once a week, at least.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  28. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Waah corporations. Seems like some people believe too much of what they read on the Internet about all the EBIL cORPORATIONS.
  29. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

I've yet to have a leini beer that I even considered "beer" at all.

I'd have to say Guinness- I like the foreign extra but not the regular. Just bland and boring. I'd like to try it when it was still real Guinness.
  30. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  31. Imagine a craft beer world where AB/InBev acquires:
    1) Founders,
    2.) Stone,
    3.) Troegs &
    4.) Dogfish Head. (feel free to substitute any other brewer(s) of your choice)

AB/InBev could demand and get the vast majority of shelf space and taps. The small independent craft brewers would all be left to fight over the scraps. Most of the independents would not be able to survive and would disppear.

This is AB/InBev's game plan.
    Uwftke26, crossovert and Providence like this.
  32. I don't believe it would happen. First, if I had a tap line with a good variety of all those brewers (at current quality) I would be pretty happy, but I would ultimately get bored and look for addiitonal brews. As would most of you. And so you would demand more variety. Second, if the first bar does not meet your needs some other establishment will. The beer distribution supply chain may not be the most free market place in the world, but it is not so constrained that you/we would not be able to obtain other quality craft beers.
  33. Those first 4 are all "heritage" brands that long pre-date the craft era - are they really marketed as "craft" by Pabst?

Henry Weinhard is a bit of an outlier- but it still originated as a "super-premium" by an old line brewery (Blitz Weinhard) at the very beginning of the US beer awakening in the mid-70's. And it has been "macro-owned" since 1979 when Pabst bought B-W and then the company pinballed through the Big Six by being owned by Heileman, Stroh and finally winding up in Miller's basket in '99. They are sort of trying to duplicate the success they have had turning Leinenkugel into a "craft-ish" national brand.
    Chaz likes this.
  34. MattSweatshirt

MattSweatshirt Advocate (525) Texas Jun 29, 2011

Makes sense that all the lightly flavored lagers that I had in Central/Eastern Europe were owned by these guys.
  35. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

It's a conspiracy!

Most craft breweries should disappear as they are "me too" breweries putting out crap product. The good ones will remain.
  36. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I was surprised not to see a/c golden on the millercoors list. I emplore all BA's to stop buying their products....

and leave it all for me.....
  37. Getting worn out on the whole craft/non craft discussion. I just want tasty, fresh beer available to me locally at a reasonable price.

I have my wallet ready for whomever can satisfy my criteria - regardless of whatever contrived back-story or ownership.
  38. YOU HAVE NO MORALS
    J2L likes this.
  39. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

Sam Adams, only because they got too big to be considered a 'craft beer' so they had the rules changed!
    "Though it may not be a big deal to consumers, the Brewers Association saved itself some headaches with a recent decision to modify its bylaws. The association announced today that it has increased the production ceiling in which a brewery may produce beer and still qualify as a “craft brewery.” The number, set to two million barrels annually for the past three decades, has been increased to six million barrels.
    The only brewery that is currently impacted by the change is Boston Beer Co. (Samuel Adams). The next closest craft brewery is Sierra Nevada Brewing and, at fewer than 800,000 barrels, it would likely not have been impacted by the limit for at least another ten years. Even with the number tripling, the Brewers Association may need to re-visit the rule again by 2025 should current Boston Beer growth trends continue through the next decade and beyond."
    http://beerpulse.com/2011/01/brewer...m-adams-provision-as-brewery-nears-threshold/
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.