1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Needed: List of Fake Craft Brews

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GaryGreen, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (375) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

Moral Defect. Wow.

Excuse me while I go throw up. All the self-righteousness in this thread is making me ill.
  2. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I wonder how many of these "anti-corporation" BA's are tap tap tapping away on their iphones posting.....
    dennis3951 and ehammond1 like this.
  3. And Abinbev wins again.....
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  4. evilc

Same. It's freaking beer, not a damn political statement.
    jhartley likes this.
  5. I agree that it is damn near impossible to live 100% off the grid. But that doesn't mean it's not worth it to try to limit ones' support of large corporations. The, "well you can't live entirely corporate free" line is a way to not have to think critically about the issue in my opinion.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  6. If you're referring to Brookston's list, that dates from 2009 and AC Golden was just beginning at that time. The list was spurred on by the release of the Beer Wars documentary - notice the first "comment" is by filmmaker Anat Baron. It was supposed to be continually updated but apparently he dropped the idea.
  7. Funny, it's the ignorance in this thread that is making me sick to my stomach.....
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  8. evilc

Apple uses child slave labor in China to build iphones. Can you list some things ABInbev does that are similar?

If there are BA's against ABInbev - but use Apple products - they are full of shit.
    Horbar, Norica, BMitch and 1 other person like this.
  9. That's fine. I'd rather adhere to my personal tastes on my own terms. ;0)

Morality in "craft" beer BUSINESS? LOL
    HipsterBrewfus and evilc like this.
  10. I would never say that ABinbev does things like allow child labor. Nevertheless, just because a company is not doing the worst thing in the world, doesn't mean they should have a blind eye turned towards their actions. Do you think a thief shouldn't be arrested because he didn't kill anyone? I don't.

Also, to your last line, I see what you are getting at, but I disagree. There are clear options to support breweries that don't participate in questionable business practices, while with purchasing computers the options are far more limited.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  11. J2L

J2L Aficionado (140) Oct 14, 2012

The fact that ABInBev/MillerCoors own maybe 2 or 3 labels that I can picture myself drinking has little to do with my purchasing. It just so happens that I don't like the stuff they make, so I won't buy them. Generally speaking, I will never try something out brewed by one of those two giants either. As a for instance, though, I like Franziskaner and if that is the best choice I wiill probably buy it. I wouldn't mind speaking, as a consumer, to ABInBev and letting them know that I like good beers, even theirs. Nonetheless, I also speak with my dollar that I will take every opportunity to find something else if there is any doubt that a non-macro choice could be better.
  12. evilc

You are spinning things to suit your actions, and not standing up for what you believe. If you are firm anti-corporatism - you wouldn't use an Apple phone. You could easily buy a Korean made smartphone that doesn't use slave labor.

My real point is just to show how dumb this argument is, and what hypocrites people are here. This selective moral outrage is hilarious.
  13. This isn't entirely true.
    Apple disclosed that they discovered that several of their suppliers used child labor.
    I am no Apple fan but it seems they are trying to minimize this problem.
  14. evilc

They didn't disclose it, they went on PR damage control when exposed.
    Horbar, jhartley and HipsterBrewfus like this.
  15. crossovert

crossovert Champion (765) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

they stock them in the craft areas at retailers im sure plenty of people think they are craft.
  16. No one said they are anti corporations.
    We said that we don't agree with AB/InBevs practices and we won't purchase any of their products.
  17. evilc

Yes, people here are saying they are anti-corporation. Please read posts earlier in this thread.

Fine you said it. High fives. You are just making me want to buy MORE of it though by grandstanding.
  18. bum732

bum732 Advocate (630) Lesotho Feb 18, 2008

And you actually called those that disagreed with you "morally bankrupt."
    domtronzero and MarkIntihar like this.
  19. There is much to be said about the proces of learning of business practices, the time involved, and the response. For example, I bought an Apple lap top four years ago. I did not know of any negative business practices then. I becoming more aware of them now, although I have not researched it throughly myself yet. When I do, and if it seems like indeed their behavior does not fit with my value system, while I'd like to say I am going to through my lap top out the window and buy a new one, I don't have the money for that. This is a complex issue evilc and it is a constant struggle. I truly do try my very best to not support business that do things that I think to be wrong. I know I am far from perfect and I know I still have many adjustments to make. But this is a process that I believe there is a lot of value to. It shouldn't be simply overlooked or disregarded.
  20. Ignorance of what? or to what?
    If AB-InBev, MC, etc. want to try and buy out all the craft brewers they want, let them. If the craft brewer sells to them, then shame on them, no one is making them sell.
    HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  21. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

You are annoyed that he is making his buying decision based on a reason other than quality of the product so you are choosing to buy more of the beer based on something other than the quality of the product.

Just saying.
    SammyJaxxxx and Providence like this.
  22. I should have clarified. I mean ignorance of hwo people think it's not worth it to even think critically about this issue. If you have thought about it and your above post is the conclusion you came to, great. I dsiagree with you, but I applaud you actually thinking about it. Seems to me like many are simply saying, "Who cares, the beer tastes good, move on" without putting much thought into it. That is disturbing to me.
  23. evilc

ABInbev isn't harming anyone by aggressively promoting their product. It's called competition. Maximizing your shelf space is part of the game. Craft brewers need to play it too. ABInbev employees are just as valuable and deserving of their jobs as a craft brewery employee.

I'd start with boycotting companies that harm people first.
  24. evilc

Yep - because of the selective morale outrage and flinging of labels like "morally bankrupt" on people who do not agree with him.

I personally couldn't care less why he does what he does - it's when he feels the need to berate others for not following his way of life that I got involved.
    jhartley likes this.
  25. evilc

There is no issue, hence nothing to think critically about. ABInbev is a business and does what business do - try to make money and I have no issues with them whatsoever.
  26. How much thought should someone put into their beer purchases? If you want to make a federal case out of it in your head while you ponder your beer purchase, be my guest. But if I like something, short of someone dying to make the product, I don't give a shit about much else, and I'm buying the goddamned product.
    evilc likes this.
  27. Hmm... interesting. Not the case around here.

Ballantine XXX Ale (which never left this market, of course) is typically stocked near the macros/pre-craft locals like Genesee and Yuengling/the malt liquors.

Schlitz Gusto came and went, but when it was here I'd see it with the rest of Pabst "cheap beer" portfolio we get (PBR, Piels, Schaefer, Old Milw.)

McSorley's is usually with the other Irish and faux Irish beers ( Guinness, Smithwicks for the former, Harp, Killians for the latter, etc).

No Primo, of course.
  28. evilc

That's what so funny. The naive here thinking most brewers are in it for the "passion". While that is part of it - any and all of them have a price and would sell in a heartbeat for it. They are in business for the money too.
  29. That's fine. I do care about it and I do think about these things before I buy. We're just different. I am not saying everyone has to do as I do.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  30. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Smaller breweries with private ownership employ more people per barrel of product than larger breweries and result in a more equitable distribution of earnings overall. That is indisputable.

Driving wealth into the pockets of the already wealthy and driving down the potential for job growth does in fact do harm to people.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  31. What are the chances that the larger craft brewers also do some underhanded dealings to get their product out. I'm sure they are not above it. its business. I don't care what InBev does, I don't buy their products, because the ones I like are still readily available to me.
  32. evilc

If ABInbev bought every brewery in the world - would you stop drinking beer?
  33. We are on a forum discussing beer, right?
    It seems we have a little off topic...maybe?
  34. I agree completely. Goose Island is the perfect example. It took two to tango, inbev made the offer but GI accepted. I get that. I get that businesses, even the small town breweries are out to make money for themselves as well. That's fine. I just think they should have a fair shot at making said money and that inbev is using their muscle to not allow that. Some may say, "hey that's business" which is the prevailing attitude on these boards and in capitalism in general, but I am not going to subscribe to that line of thinking.
  35. evilc

I'm a capitalist and see nothing wrong with wealth acquisition. Guess we're different.
    domtronzero likes this.
  36. Nope! I homebrew some solid stuff!
  37. I disagree and truly hope this thread doesn't get locked down. I think the question of supporting products made by breweries acquired by BMC is a very relative topic that all of us, on both sides of the issue, have much to learn in.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  38. The position "Drink what tastes great-Period." is morally bankrupt.
    Not because they disagree with me, but because they are not acknowledging that there is a moral component ot every purchase.
    If the Taliban releases a BBA Stout that is phenomonal are you going to purchase it?
    Providence likes this.
  39. crossovert

crossovert Champion (765) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Well that isn't the case everywhere.
  40. Probably.
    jhartley and evilc like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.