Needed: List of Fake Craft Brews

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GaryGreen, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Yes. Especially if they use PvW 23 barrels.

Oh - and there is no moral component to a beer purchase.

jhartley and HipsterBrewfus like this.
  2. evilc

Gotta love BA.

Aggressive marketing = Taliban.

3. Seems pretty black and white to you, huh? I'm curious how many products you have purchased and use daily that would be subject to your narrow line of thinking.

4. HITLER DIDN'T SEND ANY EXTRAS

5. I'm waiting for the InBev/Nazi comparisons.

6. bum732

bum732 Advocate (630) Lesotho Feb 18, 2008

I'm not going to speak for everyone, since their positions may be different than mine. But in the long run, i find BMC's strategies far less offensive than what other companies do. I think that's the point that is lost to you. In hindsight, compared to the child labor/slavery that occurs in many products that you may use, BMC tactics are just a small drop in the bucket. Using a blanket statement that we are all "morally corrupt" or a ridiculous strawman argument as "Taliban brewing" really shows your maturity level.

HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  7. I would hope they would be in business to make money.
    If they aren't, they are pretty foolish for sssspending all that time and money and taking such a big risk.
    I don't believe that making money is evil. I go to work everyday to make money.
    I have a duty to my family and my employees to make money.
    Thay duty doesn't trump my responsibility to act morally.

Kuemmelbrau likes this.
  8. Seriously though, who WOULDN'T want to try Taliban Severed Head Stout. Just to say you did.

9. juankzas

juankzas Aficionado (230) Mexico Jun 13, 2008

In México, Grupo Modelo has launched a new brand called Ideal with two pseudo craft beers

10. Look a little further at the Taliban argument. I can't speak for SammyJax, but I think he's trying to show that everyone, even those who are so passionate that it's the taste of the beer in the bottle that matters more than anything else, have their limits on what they will tolerate from a brewery. I have drawn similar comparisons, not because I think aggresive marketing means you are the Taliban (as someone suggested above) but to show that we all have our limits.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  11. Dude, its just beer, You're not doing anything charitable, life saving, or world changing. You're buying a fucking 6 pack. Relax.

jhartley and evilc like this.
  12. Very Funny

13. evilc

Craft breweries don't operate morally either. For example, to get a single 4 pack of Silva Stout, Green Flash wants $60 to go to a stupid event with worthless food I don't want. Should I boycott them? At least I can buy a 6 pack of Bud Lite Platinum without attending an event.

14. Too late, this thread has been hijacked into "Beer morality"

15. It's not black and white, it's complex. As I mentioned earlier in this thread: There is much to be said about the proces of learning of business practices, the time involved, and the response. For example, I bought an Apple lap top four years ago. I did not know of any negative business practices then. I am becoming more aware of them now, although I have not researched it throughly myself yet. When I do, and if it seems like indeed their behavior does not fit with my value system, while I'd like to say I am going to throw my lap top out the window and buy a new one, I don't have the money for that. This is a complex issue and it is a constant struggle. I truly do try my very best to not support business that do things that I think to be wrong. I know I am far from perfect and I know I still have many adjustments to make. But this is a process that I believe there is a lot of value to. It shouldn't be simply overlooked or disregarded.

Kuemmelbrau and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  16. What if your life is based on doing charitable and world changing things? Wouldn't it make sense that you would look at your beer purchasing through that lens?

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  17. bum732

bum732 Advocate (630) Lesotho Feb 18, 2008

We all have our limits of course. The point that others are making is BMC's marketing strategies aren't really that bothersome compared to how other products are marketed/made. I don't know why that is so hard to believe without being called "morally bankrupt."

evilc likes this.
  18. More power to you, I guess

19. evilc

Wait - now you're changing the world by not buying BCBS?

20. It is black and white that there is a moral component.
    Most of the time the moral issue is some shade of gray.

I have to buy gasoline. It is pretty hard to do that without supporting some corporation that is pretty horrible.
    However, I need to get to drive to work etc.

I will tell you that I think about what I am purchasing and where I am purchasing it every day.

Kuemmelbrau and Providence like this.
  21. But it's not. So I put that energy into more useful things, instead of what beer I'm buying.

22. Hardly. But it's part of a larger pattern of behaviors.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  23. Ha ha, yeah, but mine is about that. So you see, that's why I look at it through that lens.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  24. evilc

You sound like a load of fun :)

25. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Every purchase you make shifts the direction of beer culture a little.

26. This thread is what makes the "craft" beer world and the "hipster" world so close. Who cares if the brewery is "mainstream", just because its not made In a micro brewery doesn't mean it's not a good tasty beer.

Chaz and evilc like this.
  27. This post is a fantastic way to make sure everyone knows you don't understand the issues here.

SammyJaxxxx and leedorham like this.
  28. Must make grocery shopping an all day event.

29. evilc

I understand the non issue just fine thank you =)

30. evilc

Can you imagine that? He could just go the farmers market to make it a bit easier though if there is one in his city.

31. Well, I didn't say the morally bankrupt line, that was Sammy. Although in his explanation of why he said that I think he did a solid job of persenting why a person who buys items without any care whatsoever of where or how they are produced does have some questionable morals (again, the Taliban BBA Stout example, ha ha). But to answer your other point....the difference between the BMC behaviors and the behaviors of a huge oil company is we, as consumers, are more in control. So we can take issue with BMC, especially at a place dedicted to dicsussing beer related issues. I'd love to buy gas from the small mom and pop oil producer, but it doesn't exist.

Kuemmelbrau and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  32. Why not spend a week thinking about what you are buying and where you are buying it.
    Try and buy American.
    Think about the ramifications of shopping at Walmart and Home Depot instead of your local stores.
    Think about using your local merchants instead of national chain stores.
    Maybe you will decide that some battles are worth fighting.

33. You could really go so much further with this...where the ink on the labels is manufactured, how the bauxite for the aluminum is mined and by who, etc.

HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  34. I wonder why people think A-B acquired GI instead of, say, Stone or Dogfish. I've never heard GI mentioned as a brand with top of the line beers across their lineup, but they were the biggest, most popular brand available. And A-B distributors have conformed to me that it is a tool to attack their biggest weakness: popular local beers on draft.

35. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Actually, it sort of does.

http://www.frybrid.com/

36. HopHead84

HopHead84 Champion (915) California Nov 29, 2006

Are LLPs and LLCs okay with you? Also, are you comfortable drinking craft beer from an S corporation or is that also a bad corporation? I assume 101 shareholders would be abhorrent to you so that rules out C corporations.

37. Your smiley face indicates otherwise.

Read my post again, if you'd care to have an actual conversation. It's a hell of a lot more complicated then a reactionary, reductionist "All corporations are evil!"

SammyJaxxxx and Providence like this.
  38. Completely agree! Which is why this is such a difficult and complex issue that, to me, is worth looking into and being mindful of.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  39. It's business practice, not sheer size. I happily buy, New Belgium, Sam Adams, Stone etc.

40. Farmers market-most of those guys are posers.
    Go right to the farm

Providence likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.