1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Nelson/Simcoe DIPA Recipe Critique

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by mattsander, Dec 21, 2012.

1. I'm brewing a DIPA on Saturday and I want to showcase Nelson sauvin and Simcoe hops. This is my first time brewing with nelson, so I'm looking for any advice the brewers here can offer. The grain bill is lifted from Citra DIPA (as given by Kyle from Kern River)

-----
    5.5 gallon batch
    82% Canadian 2-row
    4.6% Carapils
    4.7% Caramel 15L
    4.7% Munich
    2% Wheat malt
    2% Honey malt

Mash at 150F for 60 mins. Hard water.

1.5oz Columbus leaf 15.5% Mash Hop
    1oz Columbus leaf 15.5% @ 90 mins
    1oz Simcoe pellet 12.5% @ 20 mins
    1oz Nelson pellet 11.5% @ 20 mins
    1oz Simcoe pellet 12.5% @ 5 mins
    1oz Nelson pellet 11.5% @ 5 mins
    3oz Simcoe pellet 12.5% @ Flameout, hop stand 20 mins
    3oz Nelson pellet 11.5% @ Flameout, hop stand 20 mins
    1oz Cascade pellet 7% @ Flameout, hop stand 20 mins
    3oz Simcoe pellet 12.5% @ Dryhop, 5 days
    3oz Nelson pellet 11.5% @ Dryhop, 5 days
    2oz Cascade pellet 7% @ Dryhop, 5 days

WLP001, ferment and dryhop at 67F.
    OG 1.080
    FG 1.018
  2. pwrf12

pwrf12 Aficionado (125) Virginia Jan 26, 2008

In my personal experience, Nelson easily dominates other hops when used in equal proportion (or close to it), including Citra and Simcoe. I would be weary of that. However, I love the flavor of Nelson, so a few of my IPAs have been happy mistakes in that regard.
    psnydez86 and GreenKrusty101 like this.
  3. I would be weary and wary : )
  4. xpertskir

xpertskir Zealot (85) Illinois Feb 11, 2010

As PWRF said....I would back down the ratio of nelson to simcoe.

I actually just started drinking a RYEPA with a ratio of 2 parts simcoe to 1 part nelson and 1 part citra for all the hop additions. Its getting rave reviews. I would probably use half as much nelson as I would Simcoe If i were you and you will still get tons of nelson flavor.
  5. any DIPA, I would use a touch of cane sugar and mash really low to make sure it finishes dry. but that's just me.
  6. True, true....but what yeast are you going to nurture to complete the Trifecta?
  7. The last DIPA that I made and wanted a nice dry finish I added on a 5 gallon batch , 1/2 lb of brown sugar and 1/2 pound of table sugar at the last 15 minutes and used Safale 205 because I wanted a neutral yeast and I like the dry yeasts for that , it came out with a nice dry finish

8. My Nelson galaxy Dipa was very Nelson forward with equal parts Nelson and galaxy thru the boil and dry hop. It's got a berry and wine like aroma and flavor.... Not sure what the hell a gooseberry is but I imagine it tastes like my Nelson galaxy beer. I didn't find it very pleasant but I also used 1084 Irish ale yeast which may have added to the fruitiness. I really wanna try a commercial Nelson beer so I have something to compare to
  9. I brewed this about 11 days ago, will be dryhopping soon with Nelson/Simcoe/Cascade at 1:1:1. Will report back with tasting notes for sure.
    psnydez86 likes this.

10. Gooseberry was the original name for kiwis.
  11. Interesting... I don't get any kiwi from Nelson, more of like a plum/grape/wine thing going on.
  12. MrOH

MrOH Savant (440) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

The original English name for the kiwi fruit was Chinese gooseberry. There are several different types of gooseberries around the world, the ones you're most likely to find in the US are Cape gooseberries, originally from the Andes region of South America, and cousins to the European gooseberries. I think that Nelson does have a nice Cape gooseberry resemblance. Never had European gooseberries, so I can't say.
    mountsnow1010 likes this.
  13. I'm digging all this fruit knowledge you guys are dropping. I've never known as much about that mealy little green fruit as I do right now
  14. peter831

peter831 Zealot (95) California Dec 2, 2012

I had a single hop Nelson, and it had way too much wine flavor for me.....but then again i dont drink wine.

just curious about adding hops at flameout... how long do you let it sit before you chill your wort? is the 20 minutes common?
  15. Several ways to do it....chill it to ~170*F...then steep/whirlpool for 10-20 min OR steep/whirlpool at KO/FO and then chill when done...or (fill in your procedure here)