1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Never a 5

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Huffaroma, Mar 26, 2013.

1. The only beer I've reviewed and scored a perfect 5 was Mo from Maine Beer Co. That's right - no improvement in any category was fathomable to me. But if there was a "value" score, it would not have a 5, I can tell you that.

If I actually reviewed some of Hill Farmstead's pale ales (not the just marked them as "had's") I would probably have a couple more perfect 5's under my reviews.
  2. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

King Henry is (was?) a 5.
  3. roroChp

roroChp Disciple (50) Texas Mar 24, 2013

Its hard to give anything a 5 unless your palate has been around and it can also be risky on some beers. Look at what happened with hopslam, it received rave reviews from many even a few 5's but this years batch was disappointing to many.
  4. kodt

kodt Advocate (500) Illinois Mar 6, 2013

BCBS Rare was the only one I think.
  5. Kyrojack

Kyrojack Savant (420) Indiana Oct 9, 2012

Prima Pils for a German Pilsner. Best you can get anywhere.
    1up likes this.
  6. IF I reviewed beer, The Bruery Fruet would get straights 5's.
    As I said in another thread, if you said I had to drink Fruet for the rest of my life, I'm ok with that.
    ThickNStout and 1up like this.
  7. My two "perfect 5's" are BB Plead the 5th and Heady Topper. I have no problem doing it, mostly if the beer leaves me daydreaming about it for the weeks and months between tastings.

Of course, I give very little consideration to style when I review- the perfect beer of a less-than-exciting style should not get a 5 in my opinion. Otherwise, I may have dished out a few more.
    1up likes this.
  8. loweball727

loweball727 Aficionado (215) Ohio Apr 26, 2010

Every "perfect beer" has some aspect to it that you can say "That's pretty damn good but ______ was better because ______. There isn't a perfect beer in the world but that's just my small opinion.
  9. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (870) Texas Aug 15, 2010

I actually approach particularly rare and hyped beers with heavy skepticism. I expected to be underwhelmed by Westvleteren 12 and the like. The best beers I've had have always exceeded expectations - even if they're high starting out.

So that's a non-issue.

And I also get really nitpicky with great beers. Could the carbonation be slightly better? Yes? Then it's not perfect.
  10. josephwa

josephwa Advocate (595) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

I have a lot of fives but I'm not too shy to give out a 2 once in a while :)

Here are my fives:
    CBS, KBS, Abner, Double Sunshine, BA Monster 29, Fifteen, BA Darkness, Heady, Furious, BB4D, Sucks, Parabola, BA Batch 9000, BCBS, BCBCS & Twisted Trace.
  11. hornsup

hornsup Savant (310) Virginia Nov 29, 2012

I would assume that everyone should have a 5...otherwise what's you're comparison to "flawless"
    seakayak likes this.
  12. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (910) New York Aug 25, 2010

Please let it be "is" :p
  13. See below:

14. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (770) Florida Feb 1, 2012

5s
    Black Tuesday
    Gumballhead
    Hunahpu

Close to 5
    Leon
    Imperial sweet stout
    Capricho batch 5
    Speedway
  15. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

I've had a few 5's...well at least to me they were. But it all depends on the mood I'm in and what I'm feeling. Recently I had a 2011 Eclipse Elijah Craig 18. That was sheer brilliance when it came out, but with a year on it, it was perfection (to me at least). Kuhnhenn BB4D is a 5 for me without a doubt. It doesn't come along often, but goddamn when it does...it's magical.
  16. My only 5 is Anchor Steam. I have not had another beer of the style that was anywhere near as good. It's balanced, readily available, and cheap - all of which factor into the rating.
    herrburgess likes this.
  17. zachary80

zachary80 Savant (325) Indiana Nov 29, 2009

I don't like reviewing from notes, and there are situations where I also don't want to pull out my computer. Most of the time I'm drinking something of that caliber it is with a one or two other people who also love great beer and we will talk it over. If something has few reviews I'm more inclined to review it just so that there is at least some reference for people looking it up. Overall I'm just not a heavy reviewer
  18. For me, Three Floyds Vanilla Bean Dark Lord on tap in 2009 was the best beer ever, and there is no way it could have been better! Boneyard Notorious was the most recent beer I've had that was so, so close to a 5.
  19. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (340) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

I'm not a beer rater. But if I was, the only 5 I've ever had was Black Note. Phenomenal beer.
  20. I've never given a beer all 5s but I've given a few 5s in certain categories.

My highest rated beer (La Trappe Quadrupel - Oak Aged) has two 5s and a 4.68 overall. Despite being a great beer I found the appearance wasn't a stand out for the style.
  21. If man is 5, and the devil is 6... but if the devil is six then God is 7!

22. mp19

mp19 Zealot (85) Virginia Feb 22, 2013

I haven't reviewed any beers on here yet. A couple hads just to do it. Haven't figured out my criterion yet. But honestly I try not to get caught up in the "perfect overall beer" or even best fitting to a style. I think the better thing to search for/strive for as a drinker,( different for a brewer obviously) is having the right beer at the right time. The style that you are in the mood for and the nuances or lack thereof that you are looking for in said style. Example: I've been drinking a bunch of IPA's lately and my palate had just had enough of the big IBU beers. I just wanted something simple, malty, but still a little bit of hop presence, and not too sweet. I found a perfect beer for that time. I would not have rather had anything else that I've ever tried. (500+) And in my opinion the ability to figure out what your palate craves at that time and finding the perfect beer for that time is way more useful. That's why I can't understand why people only like trying new beers. I love trying new beers but why wouldn't I come back to something that I know I love and I crave at that time.

Also can anyone guess my perfect beer for that time? Hint: Most on here have had it- National distribution
  23. Giving a beer would be like ending my search to find the perfect beer
  24. mnphish

mnphish Savant (365) Minnesota Aug 19, 2012

Westy 12 End/
  25. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (405) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

Heady Topper, bourbon county, CW BBBW. Maybe I'm too easy to please...
  26. JamesMN

JamesMN Savant (370) Minnesota Jul 12, 2012

A rating of 5/5 can only come from a perfect storm of circumstances. Right beer, right mood, right time of the night: first drink/second/third/etc, enough time to truly enjoy, and on and on.
  27. Like ........ perfect storm??? (Pelican Pub)
  28. Goose Island BCBCS. Seriously, I don't think there is any room for improvement on that beer, especially for what it is. Out of nearly 1200 reviews, it's the only 5 I've ever given.
  29. mp19

mp19 Zealot (85) Virginia Feb 22, 2013

Fat Tire. And by no means is it a five. A couples days later I had it and was like meh. But it was the perfect beer at the perfect time.
  30. If you have the best beer you've ever had, it's a 5. Even if you have a better beer down the road, you're 5 was justified at that time.
    Premo88 likes this.
  31. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (500) Texas Jun 6, 2010

Our palates change from day to day ...

... most spot-on thing I've read on BA in three months, and there's lots of well-made points on here (and in this thread alone).

Part of why I don't give out 5s left and right is exactly because a beer often changes how it tastes to me on a day-to-day basis. Most get better, but some don't (Old Peculier, Samuel Smith's Pure Brewed Lager Beer got worse by a little). So I'm careful giving out 5s because what tastes like a 5 one day might not live up to that the next.

As SadMachine also points out, though, why not give something a 5 if you feel in that moment it deserves a 5? Maybe those of us who fear the 5 like me shouldn't be so careful at times. It's a great point ...
  32. I think a lot of BAs must be masochists. To struggle and search for flaws seems contrary to the point of having a beer.
    Premo88, SadMachine and herrburgess like this.
  33. I think I've rated 2 beers a 5 out of the 390 that I've reviewed. One of them is decidedly well liked by the BA community, the other not so much.
  34. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

The beers I have at a 5 are CBS, FBS (2011 - for the record 2012 was still great but I'm not saying it sucked like a lot of people did) and Lagunitas Sucks.
  35. I've rated almost 2500 beers and I've never felt compelled to give a 5. Once I would've done that --game over. Why bother to continue the hunt?
    I've had a few that I would put up there though. My rating days are pretty much spent at this point and there are several outstanding ones not logged but the best few I've had recently were Hill Farmstead's Juicy, and The Bruery's White Chocolate. Those two would be in my upper tier right now.
  36. My mirrors are black for you.
    weeare138 likes this.
  37. So far, I gave out one 5 (had) for FW's 16th Anniversary. I wasn't reviewing then (2 weeks ago) and I had it at a bar, but I was just blown away. This was my first FW and thus my first of their Anniversary series. After smelling it, I cracked a huge grin because I knew it was going to be good. Then, I took a sip and I was blown away. It was just so complex and different. Every sip brought up different flavor profiles, and there were eddies of specific flavors within your mouth after each sip. I mean just reading the description of what went into that beer had me salivating. Not sure how you would improve that. Each of their Anniversary blends are different, but I mean it is not really a specific style to me since it is a blend of the most ridiculous things, but ends up tasting brilliant. Like how did they decide on that mixture. That one had some magic in it.
  38. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

Never had a 5, but one night, I drank 5 ones.
    SadMachine likes this.
  39. Do you deliberately avoid one-time brews, then? Because if one of them is a 5, you quit drinking altogether.
  40. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I don't review much, but for a quick rating, I'm rating based on "overall" how much I liked it. I'm looking pretty much at flavor for those ratings. If I gave them a full review I'm sure they'd come down to a lower number between 5 and 4.5, but does it really matter? Flavor is the most important.
    hagbergl likes this.