1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Never a 5

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Huffaroma, Mar 26, 2013.

1. hagbergl

hagbergl Savant (275) Maryland Aug 27, 2009

I have reviewed only one "5's-across-the-board" beer–Hill Farmstead Society & Solitude #4 DIPA. It was absolute hop perfection. The Bruery's Oude Tart Flanders Red Ale and Rochefort 8 came really close (4.98).
  2. hagbergl

Yes, but the flavor is impacted by the mouthfeel. If the beer lacks body or carbonation, then the flavor of beer isn't going to pop as much as it could.
  3. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I was being a little bit facetious with my post. Out of 623 beers reviewed I don't have any perfect 5s, but even if I did I'd still drink other beers just for variety.

For me, an all-5s beer represents an almost unattainable perfection, and I think most people who give a beer 5s across the board aren't always being completely honest with themselves. Just because a beer smells and/or tastes wonderful does not mean it automatically deserves a 5 in the appearance and mouthfeel categories as well. I've seen only a handful of beers that I was willing to give a 5 for appearance, and none of them matched that score in taste, aroma, and mouthfeel.

I'm convinced that, for whatever reason, some people just want to give certain beers a perfect score regardless of what they're objectively observing. There might be a perfect 5 beer out there for me somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.
    decimator and Reneejane like this.
  4. I've never reviewed. Instead of typing things out, I just try to decide on a scale of 1-5 how much overall enjoyment I've gotten from a beer, based on all of the important things. But, for my scores, I use it more as a ranking system in a way. I only have one 5, my favorite. I also have one 1, my least favorite. Of course, once I get to the middle numbers there are a lot of the beers with the same score, but that's because I enjoy them on about the same level. I'm not dissing reviewing on any levels, I've just never really thought writing them down.
  5. That's how I've always taken it. There are quite a few beers that have come close to perfection for me, but it's always just a hair shy from reaching nirvana. And unless you brew your own, I find it unlikely that some brewer is going to find that right combination that is most likely entirely unique to you. But, then again, I also think that human nature is a bit to blame for this one. It's our nature to never be entirely fulfilled.
    kojevergas likes this.
  6. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

I've given out three 5s, but only it my quick HAD ratings. Bigfoot, Westy 12, Zombie Dust.

I imagine if, when, I try them again and give them a full review they will be in the high 4 range. Except for Bigfoot, it's perfect, IMHO.

Abrasive is also perfect, but a full review on my part yields a high 4, so the HAD options might be deceiving. Westy 12 and ZD may not be 5s, but they are better than 4.75 to be sure.
  7. cmannes

cmannes Savant (380) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

I've always thought you should be allowed multiple reviews of any beer. And that you should be reviewing the experience of drinking that beer, at that time, rather than JUST the beer itself. I think it's nearly impossible to separate the experience and environment you drink the beer in, from the beer itself.

Then a beer could be a 5 today, and a 4 tomorrow, because the experience is different. Since right now I can only review a beer once, I tend to not go to the extremes, because my opinions may change. So my review is almost an 'average' of how I feel about a beer.

But hey, that's like, just my opinion man...
    Premo88 likes this.
  8. Premo88

Premo88 Savant (490) Texas Jun 6, 2010

I can't speak for others, but for me, it's not so much looking for flaws but more of a silly worry that if you give something a 5, then where can you go from there?

Like I say, it's silly. If something is awesome, then it's awesome. That's what the 5 is for.
  9. Back to the place that served it to you?
    Premo88, aasher and sergeantstogie like this.
  10. Two thoughts;
    Shouldn't reviewers be allowed (expected, encouraged) to have a "5" in every beer style? If you drink a great variety of beers, then each style should eventually get a 5 from you, the best beer you've had in that style.

Also I see nothing wrong with multiple 5's in a style you drink alot off (popular to you). If a reviewer's tasted a thousand plus imperial stouts, it's silly that you can't have a couple perfect scores in there.

I appreciate everyone's scores on here!
    SadMachine likes this.
  11. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Unless you've had all of the vintages and the Chocolate Rains, it really is hard to understand how amazing 2009 Black Tuesday is.
    2beerdogs likes this.
  12. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Bourbon County Coffee, any vintage.
  13. Premo88

Premo88 Savant (490) Texas Jun 6, 2010

hah ... after drinking that first Enjoy By, you can bet I went back to buy more ...
  14. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I agree. I should have pointed out that appearance is usually what skews a rating down. For example, many stronger and long aged beers with have beautiful flavor and divine mouthfeels, often have no or little head, with just a ring of foam. That will (or should) cause a beer to rate less than a five, but it really shouldn't have equal footing with the other categories.
    hagbergl likes this.
  15. hagbergl

Yeah, appearance sort of unfairly skews scores...