1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Never traded before and looking to start

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by gratefuld, Jan 11, 2013.

1. gratefuld

gratefuld Aficionado (185) Indiana Feb 19, 2011

Like I said above, I have never traded before and I would like to start. I've skimmed a few of the threads on this and it seems I may need to be wary of not getting the beer in the trade. How often would you say this happens to you guys? Also any suggestions on packing methods?

Thanks

2. richardflyr

richardflyr Savant (340) Virginia Jul 28, 2009

http://alewatcher.blogspot.com/2010/11/new-trader-tips.html

Also search this forum - a lot of people have asked this before.

TL;DR: put out an ISO trade locals for locals to get your feet wet, go with an established trader to begin with. Pack the boxes like they are going to be used as crash test dummies, and include extras!

Hanzo, gpawned and JulianB like this.
  3. As a recent "new trader", you can check out this thread to get my personal experiences with it:

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/lets-all-play-nicely.58448/

TL;DR version: do things the right way (good communication, good packing, ship first, start small, trade cool local stuff for cool stuff from another market, don't go in trying to "win" trades, include extras, have fun) and you will find no shortage of people happy to trade with you.

DSlim71 likes this.
  4. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

Also, when you have a question about something, chances are other have had those questions in the past. There are many people here who are more than happy to help but the best place to start is to search the forums for old threads on these issues (top right corner). If you still can't find it, feel free to post (and say that you searched) and I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses. Good luck!

5. richardflyr

richardflyr Savant (340) Virginia Jul 28, 2009

I also forgot to add - welcome aboard!

gpawned likes this.
  6. gratefuld

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate them. I have quite a few Hopslams and access to most of FFF stuff so I'm hoping I can get some out of market IPAs. I also have to get a few posts under my belt to be able to post trades.

7. If I read your OP correctly you're asking how concerned you should be about not receiving your end of the trade, correct? I'm sure it says this in Alewatcher's blog (haven't read it in a while) but only set up trades with BA's who have been on the site for a while and have quite a few trade references. They'll ask you to ship first since you're new and this is the norm. You're never 100% guaranteed to receive your beer in any trade, but many BA's work hard to earn a good reputation on this site, and the longer they've been on here with positive trade references the better. Research any potential traders before sealing the deal by checking the bad traders list and searching their user name. If they come off as a dick in their comments, they very well may act like a dick during your trade - trust your gut. Also, be very careful about trading with other new traders. Several newer BA's will tell you they've had no trouble trading with fellow noobs and that's fine, as long as you're willing to accept the risk. Welcome to the madness and good luck!

libbey, Durb777 and gpawned like this.
  8. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

Try to win as many trades as possible.

9. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

This thread was going along with lots of great advice; why come along with this trolling? All the vets love to complain, but, especially in a (to-this-point) "good" thread like this, I have to imagine that such posts would be more likely to contribute to the "problems."

OP: Welcome! Some great advice so far, IMHO.

10. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

Sorry, I thought it was funnier than use the search button. I wasn't trying to be a dick, like now.

11. All the advice so far has been spot on, including try to win every trade (I define winning as sending the better box since I don't like to feel like I've cheated anyone or owe anyone anything). As far as packing advice the box in a box method from alewatcher's blog works well, but I would really suggest investing in a styro shipper for your first trade. Make sure to add a little extra padding so the bottles can't rattle around in their slot. These are some of the safest ways to ship and easiest to pack. It may seem a little expensive, but keep in mind you will most likely be shipping first and can always request that your trade partner uses the same shipper when they send beer back to you.

cavedave, Bluecane and Tkolar like this.
  12. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Savant (255) Texas Jul 12, 2012

welcome, and bm'd so you can get your feet wet.

13. gratefuld

Again thanks for all the advice. I should have done more research on here before posting my message and I will do better in the future. While I'm new to trading I'm not new to craft beer drinking. I was up way too early this morning and realized I had a case of Hopslam can get another and wondered if I could trade some for a couple of beers I have been wanting to try for awhile now. You guys have been great.

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  14. RC0032

RC0032 Aficionado (205) Illinois Mar 10, 2009

Requirements of Trading:
    1) Have deep pockets.
    2) Know when to say when
    3) Read Ale Watchers blog.

Durb777, atoulouk and gpawned like this.
  15. Hopslam and FFF stuff (such as Zombie Dust) should get you pretty much any regular distribution IPAs you might want, such as Heady Topper, Pliny the Elder, Flower Power, etc. Definitely a good way to get started.

16. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

As RC0032 already mentioned, watch your spending. Shipments don't seem that pricey, if you get in over your head and find yourself shipping 10-15 boxes in the first month that shit can really add up. We've seen far too many people come up trying to trade and send out more boxes then they could. They end up running out of money/overwhelmed and can't ship their ends of the trade. They get called out on BA, have their reputation ruined and then fall into obscurity only to brought up again when people mention bad traders.

(TL : DR) Make sure you have enough of finances if you want to take up trading and start out small.

17. Pay attention to the weather. If its too cold don't ship.
    Prepare to have your wallet hate you.
    Don't go after whales immediately, locals for locals is plenty fun.

18. Devi0us

Devi0us Advocate (555) California May 3, 2011

libbey, Auror and gpawned like this.
  19. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Fill out gots and wants realistically. Research the beers you seek out so you won't have a "man, the beer I sent is so much better than the beer got" moment. Don't have a Grateful Dead related avatar as nobody will trade with you ;) JK with that last one

MordorMongo likes this.
  20. 510a

510a Savant (345) Washington Jan 12, 2013

I too have not traded yet and would be interested in trading. Live in Seattle area. Great availabity for Ipa's. Lagunitas, deschutes, stone,FSW, etc..

21. Don't tape on the bubble wrap, use rubber bands. You will wish everyone did.

22. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

FYI, I POPPED HIS CHERRY, we did a L4L/$4$ and he sent me some nice stuff.
    Zombie Dust, Alpha King, GI (Belgians). He did a great job and it was packed like freaking fort knox.
    Would trade with him again.

23. TMI dude.

BigGene likes this.
  24. prdstmnky

prdstmnky Savant (420) Vermont Jan 8, 2010

[​IMG]

Gosox8787 and gpawned like this.
  25. That never gets less amusing.

Gosox8787 likes this.
  26. That was his real excuse? Damn that is pathetic, I heard of him(who hasn't) but didn't realize it was that lame.

27. Azrael

Azrael Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013

Maybe my eyes are bad but doesn't that username say Bitzy and not Blitzy?

28. It is Bitzy don't let th poster fool you

29. prdstmnky

prdstmnky Savant (420) Vermont Jan 8, 2010

It is, I didn't make it, just saved them when the whole fiasco went down...this is still my favorite:

[​IMG]

dachshunddude86, DaveHack and gpawned like this.
  30. This is fantastic.

31. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

People worry WAY too much about "Am I gonna get ripped off?!?! Oh noes!!"

Just Roll with it, roll it in honey so to speak. People say you 'have' to start small blah blah blah.... go in full steam ahead I say. I had a job trading bits for pieces; We'd make wrinkles, advertise them as creases. Trade hard son!