1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

New Albion Ale around Memphis?

Discussion in 'US - South' started by mcmeador, Jan 15, 2013.

1. mcmeador

mcmeador Member

Just curious if anyone has seen New Albion Ale around the Memphis area? I'd love to try it.
  2. MikeEhrmantraut

MikeEhrmantraut Acolyte

Said in another thread, I was in the Memphis area over Christmas and the selection in that town is pretty miserable.

To answer your question, I don't recall seeing any at the few shops I stopped in at. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure if any of the higher alcohol Sam Adams offerings are available in Memphis. I lived there for a few years and don't remember ever seeing any until I moved to Chattanooga.
  3. mcmeador

mcmeador Member

Yeah, Memphis does have a pretty lame beer selection. Now that Mississippi has upped the cap on alcohol percentage, I'm starting to see as good or better selection at random MS gas stations as I do at some of the best dedicated beer and/or liquor stores in Memphis. Nashville has a really good selection of beer, though (compared to here at least).
  4. Tilley4

Tilley4 Member

Just spotted some in Nashville... best bet in Memphis will be Raffes
  5. MikeEhrmantraut

MikeEhrmantraut Acolyte

It's in Chattanooga now too. Memphis may get some after all.
  6. CaptainPiret

CaptainPiret Member

Don't count on it. Nashville gets a lot of stuff that Memphis has never seen (Green Flash, Lagunitas, NB's Lips of Faith, Straight to Ale, Oskar Blues, most of Schlafly's seasonals ... I could go on). Can't speak for Chattanooga but I assume it's the same thing.
  7. MikeEhrmantraut

MikeEhrmantraut Acolyte

Chattanooga gets all of that, save for the Oskar Blues and the higher alcohol Lips of Faith offerings(which will change this year). We are just a step behind Nashville in that they usually get stuff first, then we follow suit shortly thereafter.

I don't really know what Memphis' deal is. Virtually nothing seems to have changed in that town in terms of craft beer since I lived there from 2008-2011.
  8. mcmeador

mcmeador Member

Good news, guys! I found it today at a Kroger in Memphis! Picked up the only two 6-packs they had. I've been using the beer locator on Sam Adams' web site fairly regularly looking for it, and I finally got a ton of search results in the area last night (all Krogers). I'll be trying this tonight!