1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Batch Sierra Nevada Estate?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Sneers, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

I was at my local store today and I saw that there were a bunch of bottles of SN Estate for sale. I didn't grab any because it was a little more than I felt like spending, but I looked it up when I got home, and it's listed as retired.

Does anyone know if they brewed it again? Or are these likely old bottles just finding their way to the shelves?
  2. I'm guessing old bottles just making its way to the shelves.
  3. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Sierra Nevada dates. Look for a number starting with 1, 2, or 3. This is the year code 1=2011. 2=2012, etc. Next numbers are the day of the year, 001= Jan. 1, 365= Dec. 31. If there is no date code you know for sure it is old stock.
    Acforster2 and Kikodamian like this.
  4. As a "wet hop" beer it's seasonal and would certainly be well out of season, but it's not "retired" according to the Sierra Nevada Estate Ale webpage.
  5. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (260) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

It's not retired, but it came out in September/October.
  6. As stated above, not retired. Brewed once a year with fresh hops. Still tastes pretty damn good though
    sdonegan likes this.
  7. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

Eh, $9 for a 5 month old bomber. Guess I'll pass.
  8. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (290) Florida May 16, 2011

Isn't this beer brewed twice a year? Once with northern hemisphere hops and another time with Southern Hemisphere hops? I thought I read that when researching this but don't know when the exact time it is released each year.
  9. Estate is organic with hops grown on site in Chico, the Northern/Southern Hemisphere beers are different.
  10. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (290) Florida May 16, 2011

Thanks for the information! Someone misinformed me lol
  11. Wowzers- that's a bit much. I saw a pretty new display at a Bottle King in NNJ last week, but they were priced significantly lower ($5-ish). I just figured that the distributor offered up incentives recently in order to clear out the stock.
  12. Great beer. I picked up a bottle in December because it was $4 at my local Total Wine (I assume someone screwed the pooch on that one); either way, I went back for many more.
    El_Zilcho likes this.
  13. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Savant (495) California Mar 28, 2009

I grabbed two bottles at total wine in December too for $4. They were trying to get rid of them since they were old. Drank more earthy and had a honey sweetness to it. As opposed to a more hoppy version fresh.
  14. They should add a section to reviews. the "would you buy it again" section haha. I read reviews on this a few weeks back because a local store of mine still has some available and I thought about trying it. Sure I could just buy it and give it a whirl, but I'd rather see if it will even be worth it before spending money.

So what do you guys say... would you buy it again?
  15. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

Steep! I splurged for one bottle. I'd say worth it, sure! One bottle!
  16. I would, even at a couple months old. I've had them as old as 6 months & still enjoyed them. Obviously much better fresh though. It was the 2010 SN Estate that I consider the best beer i've ever had. Plus its certified organic & as far as I know the only beer SN seals w/ wax.
  17. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (915) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Fresh the 2012 had a big grapefruit flavor. Is it still there now?
  18. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (520) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

While I agree with the consensus that this beer is best fresh, if it is around $4-5 I would buy it. It may have lost its' hop lushness, but it is still a great beer after a few months. I recently picked one up that was around 3-4 months old and it tasted great, just not really hoppy.
  19. At $9.99 a bottle i'm not surpised there are still some around. I know I am in the minority here but I did not care for this year's Estate at all and I usually love the stuff. At $5.99 a bottle I would much rather have Northern Hemisphere. Actually it is here on Beer Advocate when you look up Sierra Nevada Estate that it says it is retired. Maybe they just mean this year's addition.
  20. "Old" - in December? The beer only comes out late Sept./early Oct and while many hopheads might consider a 2 month old beer "old", I doubt a retailer or Sierra Nevada or their wholesalers would. SN gives SNPA a 150 day shelf life- I'd guess they'd think the same for Estate.
    sierranevadabill likes this.
  21. GetMeAnIPA

Why else would they be marking it down to $4 from from $10? Maybe it was just a dream?
  22. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Maybe they were trying to sell them before they got old?
  23. GetMeAnIPA

It was probably a few reasons. I didn't think it was old, and I was using the word loosely. They probably wanted to move the product and it wasn't moving too fast at $10.

Whatever the reason I don't care as long as I got it for $4. I was just confirming with another post that I too got it for $4.
  24. Very funny.
  25. It might have been marked down to clear the stock so the distributer could bring in the next seasonal release (Bigfoot?). Seems I've heard complaints that some areas didn't have a new release because the distributer still had the last release in the warehouse. I think the example someone mentioned that their local distributer hadn't received Celebration because they had not sold through their stock of Tumbler.
  26. HarryHood

HarryHood Aficionado (195) Ohio Dec 10, 2012

I had one just the other night. Fresh, that stuff is as good as it gets. Just the other night it was very good. It wasn't as hoppy clearly but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. $5? I'd buy it all day. $9 might be a stretch but I'm a sucker for this beer.
    badb_rad likes this.
  27. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Savant (470) Arizona Dec 20, 2011

These seemed to be delayed when coming to AZ because they didn't starting popping up on shelves until about 5-6 weeks ago, and either found bottles for $4 or $11. Didn't really understand the price difference but VERY glad I didn't pay $11 for this back in the end of January.