1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Beer Sunday - 8th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by malty, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malty

malty Savant (415) Michigan Dec 16, 2003

Good morning Nemo nightmare neutralizers and good beer aficionados everywhere else,

First I'd like to give a heartfelt 'sorry' to everyone affected by this badass blizzard and to everyone who had to miss the Extreme Beer Fest. I was reading some of the EBF threads and the impending storm, and was honestly sickened to see some people actually mentioning the possibility of legal action and what not. I'm sure some of it was in the heat of the moment, but to witness this amongst what I consider to be a fantastically chill and overall awesome family of beer brethren (& sistren), really boiled my blood. If it weren't for Jason, Todd and their crew, our craft beer world wouldn't be a rich as it is today. So please, have some respect and appreciation and don't be a prick.

NBS has been chugging now for 416 weeks. Again, I want to give a hearty thanks to mattcrill for his loyalty and unfettering determination these past few years to hoist this flag when I've been gone and/or gotten lazy. I've had the pleasure to meet up with him a few times for beers/trading when he's traveling frm his native Ohio to my beautiful state of Michigan's northern vacation spots on the Great Lakes. His wife and kids are very sweet, kind and patient when we've gotten together and shared beer and stories. If it weren't for this fantastic site, I sure as heck would have missed out on meeting and being friends with such an awesome dude. Thanks for being an awesome, Matt! Oh, and thank your parents for helping you become awesome too :)

8 years ago, NBS carved a niche in the forums (granted, there weren't nearly as many as now) by structuring a time/place for us beer geeks who wanted to dedicate some quality time to try a brand new beer and share our experiences. But, we wanted it to be more involved than the sporadic, 'What beer is currently in your hands?' threads. *Not that there's anything wrong with those threads. We highly encouraged participants to include the link to their formal review (yes, I guess we're proponents of actually taking some time and logging a quality, formal review), or at least give us a thoughtful summary of their new beer's qualities and characteristics, if the participants do not formally review their beers on this site. And through the years, BAs have come and gone, new sites have popped-up, and the craft beer industry is larger and more dynamic than ever. To see many of the original NBSers still chiming in (regularly or time-to-time) is a cool testament to the awesomeness of this community and site. And I'd like to give a gargantuan THANKS to Todd and Jason for having the insight/foresight/balls/dedication/passion/grit/care to put this entire show on the road, (I mean, web and paper)!!!

Hmmm...what new beer shall we drink to celebrate our 8th year today? As of yesterday, I've completely regained my sense of smell/taste after fighting a hella bad head cold for over 2 weeks. So, I didn't do any beer shopping for the month of Feb, but I do think I can do some digging in the garage beer fridge or cellar. I can't wait to see what gems ya'll pull out today! I bet someone's got a BA Bigfoot :) Whatever it is, I'm sure it won't be Grant's Perfect Porter, or a Watney's Red Barrel Ale :)

Thanks to everyone who participates on this thread and takes the time to chill and share new beer with us. Please, continue to make NBS fun, fresh and informative with all your colorful commentary and witty banter. Good day and good drinkin'!

In the undying spirit of craft beer,

malty

woemad, match1112, beertunes and 8 others like this.
  2. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

Always heart warming to hear stories like this from other BAs that have been in this a while. Cheers to you. Had I been more familiar with your efforts and had more lead time, I wouldve sent you a Stone 8th Anniversary to enjoy today. Yeah, theyre still drinking pretty well after 8+ years. I'll still send you one if interested, just drop me a note, I have plenty. Either way, I think I'll crack one today for you.

match1112 and beertunes like this.
  3. malty

Thanks! Although please don't post on this thread. Duplicate thread. My bad. Check the other one :)

4. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Unless I'm blind, I can't find the other one.:(

5. garymuchow

garymuchow Champion (760) Minnesota Aug 31, 2001

New Schwarzbier Sunday

Greetings NBSer's,
    And Happy 8th Anniversary to our esteemed hosts Malty and Mattcrill. This post has offered a nice diversion to Sunday's normal tasks and a great place to share.
    SCMN has some sort of winter storm going on with these parts getting an icy rain, but not very far away there is some heavy snow going on. Nothing like the Noreaster, but rain, snow and wind nonetheless, making it a good day to hang inside and watch the world pass by.
    Local today with a nice dark lager from MN oldest continuously family owned brewery. They have been on a roll with interesting and enjoyable beers lately. This one is no different. Kinda' rich but holding a nice smokey quality which makes it quite complementary with many foods. And it's a lager.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/417/87181/?ba=garymuchow

Best to all this week.

match1112, beertunes, GRPunk and 5 others like this.
  6. malty

Looks like the Bros deleted the * other * one * with the most replies. Oh we'll, at least this one is still here :) Cheers!!!

7. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Interesting take on a Belgian style Pale ale, Jolly Pumpkin The Firefly. Very earthy, with some funk. The oak is very present. It's a nice beer to try, but I won't buy it again because of the price, $15.
    [​IMG]

8. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Jeez, was it THAT hard to figure out which thread to delete? /me shaking my head and wondering if I'll post on BA again after this.

9. I love everything I've tried of theirs, but the price point does deter me as well. Sobrehumano is very good and worth a try at least once.

CHADMC3 likes this.
  10. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

New American Imp. Stout Sunday - 8th Anniversary

Greetings NBS'ers, from the less frigid and brightly beautiful ridge in Mid Hud Val NY. Snow covers all, we lucked out with just a bit more than a foot, some folks got 3 feet, this time not us.

A wonderful beer, done by the mysterious gypsy brewer brother who found a temp. home at Westbrook I have heard. This dark beauty is roasty and delectable, heavy and seductive, I am loving every sip. Hope you too have a glass of Great Beer in your hand. Cheers!

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24300/80291/?ba=cavedave

[​IMG]

woemad, match1112, CHADMC3 and 8 others like this.
  11. jwc215

jwc215 Advocate (685) Wisconsin Dec 6, 2005

NEW LOW ALCOHOL BEER SUNDAY!

Well, time does fly...I can't believe eight years have passed since the start of NBS. I admit that I don't contribute like I used to. Still, I'm enjoying good brews and "checking in" on occasion. Glad that I popped in on the anniversary, but not glad for this pitiful "beer" I had. Long story short, I have to drive later, but I wanted a beer. Well - I've reviewed other low alcohol beers, and while it's not a style I'm a fan of, a couple I've tried were "boring" but "inoffensive". This particular one - from Beck's - fits the first of these descriptions, but not the second. I thought a skunk died in the bottle. It was fresh according to the date, but tasted..."not good".
    I hope to be back with a better one next week....

Cheers!

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/32/11093/?ba=jwc215

12. mattcrill

mattcrill Advocate (710) Ohio Mar 16, 2004

No new commercial beer for me today but wanted to chime in and thank malty and all the other NBS faithful for allowing me to host now and again.

I would agree that BA has given me the opportunity to forge many new friendships that I would have not otherwise had. You are all good people and it's a pleasure to share a virtual pint with you each and every week. Thanks malty for getting us started and thanks to everyone for keeping it fresh, informative, and fun the past 416 weeks.

Need to get back to my final paper and I'll enjoy my homebrew American stout. It look great in my Duvel tulip. Pitch black with a nice batter-like tan head. It could use a little more age to let the chocolate mellow but it's great on a cloudy February day in Central OH. I'll spare you more details since it's not a commercial beer.

Heading out with the family to Mellow Mushroom tonight so if I happen to grab a new beer I'll post later.

If not, thanks everyone for bringing it strong every week.

Peace, love, and malty-ness,

Matt

woemad, match1112, CHADMC3 and 7 others like this.
  13. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Savant (460) New Jersey Nov 21, 2011

NEW SMOKED PORTER SUNDAY

It's a Rock Art Midnight Madness Smoked Porter for a lazy day here in sunny, snow-covered (several inches, thankfully, not much) Ocean County, NJ. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1805/9093/?ba=NiceTaps
    The aroma of the beer did not work for me, thus keeping the review in check. But it fit the bill for a one-beer, relax around the fire kind of day.

Cheers, all!

14. bump8628

bump8628 Savant (485) Oklahoma Feb 21, 2008

Sam Adams Double Agent IPL

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/88429

I dont get too excited these days about most of their offerings but this is challenging Noble Pils as my favorite from Sam Adams. Nice toasted malt body with a solid punch of American hops all wrapped in a 5% ABV package which makes it about perfect for an unseasonably warm Sunday afternoon. In general, I'm liking this relatively new trend of American hoppy lagers.

15. FanofHefe

FanofHefe Advocate (625) Illinois Feb 13, 2010

New American Red / Amber Ale

Greetings, NBSers. Glad to be able to participate on the 8th anniversary! Mostly mild, but rainy day in the greater STL area. Feeling sorry for our friends socked in by all the snow in the NE.

Picked up a bomber put out by a local brewery, 4 Hands, who are getting a reputation for brewing some great beers. This is their hoppy amber:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/27870/76562/?ba=FanofHefe

Quite a solid offering and would definitely have it again.

Cheers!

16. GRPunk

GRPunk Advocate (575) Michigan Apr 5, 2007

New Rye Beer from the Great Lakes State

Good afternoon everybody, and happy anniversary. I love having this thread as a some downtime over, what can be busy, weekends.

A weird week, weather wise, in West MI. Snow and ice is turning into rain and slush today. Kind of gloomy, really.

Taking some time to chill out after a lunch for a family birthday and before getting dinner started.

This tasty brew from a little brewery in Kalamazoo looked to hit the local shelves a few weeks back. I like it. A more delicate take on the style than I'm used to, it works.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/43223/?ba=GRPunk

match1112, NiceTaps, CHADMC3 and 3 others like this.
  17. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

[​IMG] AMERICAN BARLEYWINE [​IMG]

Happy 8th Anniversary NBS to all...

I toast malty, mattcrill and all the NBS contributors, past, present and future.

Cold and sunny with lots of snow on the ground here on Long Island. I did my monthly Sunday OT at work today and then came home to do a little more shoveling before cracking open my 1st "new" beer of the day.

Somebody had to do it...

[​IMG]

woemad, cavedave, mattcrill and 9 others like this.
  18. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (910) New York Aug 25, 2010

Happy Anniversary, NBS!

Getting dark here on blizzard-struck LI:
    [​IMG]
    I love the snow, but I didn't love the 3-1/2 hours it took me to drive ~30 miles home from work on Friday in the thick of it... :mad:.

My cat broke my tulip glass today, but it lead me to this great website for beer glasses:
    http://www.truebeer.com/
    Can't wait to finally pick up some chalices and an unadorned large snifter. Looks like they sell tulips that look just like the Duvel tulip (the best tulip, IMO), too, which is awesome.

Picked up three new beers from Dogfish Head:
    [​IMG]
    Had the Noble Rot last night (really good, BTW - imagine a blend of pinot grigio and Belgian pale ale).

Today, I popped the cap on the Rhizing Bines:
    [​IMG]
    Into a nonic pint:
    [​IMG]
    Here's what I got:
    [​IMG]
    Dense head:
    [​IMG]
    Levitation!
    [​IMG]
    Reviewed, 'natch: Rhizing Bines

I'm a big fan of DFH and Sierra Nevada (this was a collaborative effort), and this was a really good DIPA.
    DIPAs (in my experience) tend to lean toward either citrusy, piney, and/or malty flavors. This one's in the malty (hi, malty! ;)) and piney zone. The caramel malts were the most prominent flavor for me, and I liked it. My only caveat is that there are so many great DIPAs, it was hard for me to really say that this blew the others out of the water or anything. But definitely recommended - for fans of the brewers, the style, or just advocates in general.
    [​IMG]
    Listening to the new Hatebreed album while I sip and type. No vids online to share, but Hatebreed seems to be a love 'em or leave 'em kinda band anyway (I love 'em :p).

Alrighty then, afficionados - have a groovy night - maybe I'll see ya later if I have the energy and pop open the Birra Etrusca...

Peace!

woemad, cavedave, mattcrill and 7 others like this.
  19. Greetings NBS and happy anniversary,

Great to see so many tasty brews being enjoyed by the usual suspects. By far my favorite thread and the only one I try not to miss. I'm here in Hamden, CT which my family elsewhere tells me has made national news for our unprecedented snow fall during Nemo. My back and shoulders will not argue that.

Its been very fun though despite the extensive labor. enjoying time talking with neighbors, spending tons of time with my wife, daughter and dog, and of course enjoying my share of brews.

I picked up this gem on a recent excursion to Rhode Island as we don't get FW in CT.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2210/79286/?ba=CHADMC3

Since the plows haven't touched our street yet and work tomorrow appears to be out of the question perhaps I can check back.

20. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Greeting Fellow NBSers! A foggy, and yet oddly sunny, day here in the Fourth Corner. A big thank you to Malty for getting my favorite BA thread up and running, and a a thank you to MattCrill for carrying the flag when Malty can't. I had a couple new beers last night, and had I realized today was a NBS anniversary, I would have saved them for today. I'll probably sneak them in later. After walking my nephew earlier today (while his Mom is in Mexico, I've got him for a few hours, at least, every day) and this was the only new thing on tap at my regular Sunday local: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23904/70926/?ba=beertunes . A nice little Scottish Ale from a local-ish brewery. Here's hoping all my real life and on-line friends are recovering from the snow. Thanks for the reminder of why I moved. I only have to worry about volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamis, no shoveling! Cheers all!

woemad, cavedave, mattcrill and 4 others like this.
  21. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

woemad, match1112, GRPunk and 2 others like this.
  22. Doing a Rogue Ale's Chocolate Stout.

Also trying a cigar for the first time tonight to celebrate my promotion at work. New beer/cigar sunday. Enjoying it a lot!

23. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

Just had Butternuts Snapperhead IPA for the 1st (and last) time. Not good and would have been a waste of an extra minute to take the pic and upload.

edit: Did not like the strong malt presence or the tea on the nose. Not enough hops for an IPA IMO

24. RJLarse

RJLarse Advocate (720) Washington Dec 30, 2005

>>>>>> New Brown Ale Sunday <<<<<<

Happy Anniversary NBS. I happened upon the BA web site back on December 30, 2005 trying to figure out what the hell a Cranberry Lambic was. Yep, the Sam Adams Holiday Sampler brought me here, and here I have been ever since. I have made a point of participating in NBS when I can, because I think it is a good thing to take some time out and fully appreciate a good (and even a not so good) beer. Sunday afternoon seems like a very good time to do that, and I try to have a new beer on hand every weekend.

Today it's Nut Brown Ale from Full Sail.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/5316/88175/?ba=RJLarse
    A nice seasonable brown ale.

We are seeing more Full Sail brews here in eastern Washington lately, which is a good thing.

Sympathy goes out to those hit by the Nemo blizzard. That said we have some great February weather here in the Columbia Basin. Clear blue skies, with temps into the mid 40's.

So here's to another 8 years (or more) of NBS.

Happy Trails!

garymuchow, match1112, woemad and 4 others like this.
  25. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Nice, Rogue makes a pretty fine Chocolate Stout. Care to share what you found you liked and/or didn't like about it, maybe some of the tastes and smells that you experienced? What did you think overall? And why? Would you recommend it? Why?

match1112 and beertunes like this.
  26. For sure!

Love the milk chocolaty nose and the malty/chocolate taste! Not like a RIS where you get dark chocolate flavors. Different, in a good way. Upon warming its a really nice, easy drinking stout, that still has a great mouth feel and a ton a flavor. Me gusta mucho! I really want to try their double chocolate stout asap!

really nice with the cigar as well. will be pairing a lot more in the future :)

Obligatory picture: [​IMG]

match1112 and GRPunk like this.
  27. woemad

woemad Champion (795) Washington Jun 8, 2003

Just got back into town about 2 hours ago after spending the weekend with the parentals who live about 2 hours away. Although I drank several different wines, including an incredible merlot last night, this can of Deviant Dale's was my first beer since Wednesday night:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28907/65347/?ba=woemad

Not bad, but a little more hops and/or less malt would have increased my enjoyment.
    A big "Cheers" to Malty and Mattcrill founding and maintaining NBS! I can't believe it's been 8 years!

garymuchow, match1112 and beertunes like this.
  28. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

I've been buying new beers, just haven't been in the mood to drink much lately. Anyway, I just wanted to stop in and say congrats on the 8 years of fresh and informative fun. Cheers everyone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.