1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Beer Sunday (week 399)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mattcrill, Oct 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattcrill

mattcrill Advocate (720) Ohio Mar 16, 2004

Good morning pundits and patriots of great American beer!

I hope this message finds you enjoying another fine Sunday with the promise of something new in your glass. I have to send out props to our local friends at Weasel Boy. They took home a Gold at GABF for their Anastasia Russian Imperial Stout. That is some fine stout and I'm glad it's getting the recognition it deserves. If you ever get the chance to head to Zanesville you'll be glad you stopped. Congrats to Jay and Lori!

If that stop should happen on a Sunday and Anastasia was new you could talk about it right here!

This is the place to share a virtual pint with hundreds of your best BA buddies. Try a new beer today, write about it (post the link or a good description), and share it here. If you have a pic of it, so much the better.

Get out there, get your "honey do" list done, and try a new beer! Thanks for keeping NBS fresh, informative, and fun. Good day and good drinkin'.

Peace, love, and malty-ness,

Matt

2. morimech

morimech Advocate (700) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

American Amber/Red Lager

Happy NBS everyone. Closing in on week 400 of NBS, not sure if I got anything special to try next week but we shall see. This week I am starting out on a beer that seemed to show up everywhere the last couple of weeks. A good lager if unexciting. It was cheap enough to take a chance at least. Hop City Barking Squirrrel Lager:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/21537/54155/?ba=morimech

garymuchow, JoeyBeerBelly and GRPunk like this.
  3. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (910) New York Aug 25, 2010

Good afternoon and good football to you. My new beer today (I held off on having it to post here) was Element Brewing's Special Aged Oak.

Here's how it went down...

The bottle and glass, ready for action:
    [​IMG]
    The always classy cork and cage (but crooked!):
    [​IMG]
    Ready to drink:
    [​IMG]
    Well over a half hour later, the empty glass:
    [​IMG]
    The review:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22202/58246/?ba=Greywulfken

This was an awesome beer. Really had a unique (to me) flavor and character that I found very attractive.

Epilogue: The second pour (yea!) and the big reveal: a naked bottle!
    [​IMG]

Have a great Sunday, folks!

4. New Hefeweizen Sunday

I grabbed an Erdinger Oktoberfest Weissebier the other day. Now nowhere on the label does it say wheat, weisse, or weizen on the label. I was kind of thinking it was an, oh I dont know, oktoberfest/marzen. Nope. For a hefe, its not bad. Needs some work. Its missing the characteristic German hefe mouthfeel, but its missing the spices and yeast esters. I want more clove and banana, not the minimal amount. Itll go down easy.

Im going to open my first ever Natty Bo later too.

garymuchow likes this.
  5. malty

malty Savant (415) Michigan Dec 16, 2003

Bohemian Pils

[​IMG]

Detroit Brewing Co (by Liquid Manufacturing - Brighton, MI).

So maybe that's why I couldn't find this beer in the database, thus no formal review could be entered. I'm making this my first new beer of the day in hopes of giving my DETROIT TIGERS some good mojo :)

Looks very proper, with a little chill haze, but nice clarity after sitting for 5 min. Smells grainy and fresh, but not much (if any) lemon crispness. Tastes clean, but a little musty and some nutty/vanilla notes - nothing like a German Pils. Mouthfeel is creamy, round and very ale-like. Starting to doubt if this is even a lager. Low carbonation but still 'alive' feeling. Drinkability is rough for me, due to the fact I feel this beer is def not true to style. Would work well as a pedestrian golden ale though. Maybe it's a good thing I couldn't find this beer in the database and give it a formal review.

I'm glad I was able to grab a couple FRESH sixers of Short's Kind Ale (wet hop IPA). I'm gonna pour one right now to get a proper taste in my mouth!

Hey mattcrill, do you mind if I host NBS next week? Can't resist the 400 milestone :)

Good day and good drinkin'!

6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

***New American Black Ale Sunday!!!

Greeting all.
    A pretty nice Autumn day here. I picked up a 4 pack of Widmer Pitch Black and here's my review:

http://beeradvocate.com/user/beers?ba=Bitterbill

Going in not expecting an enjoyable brew, I was surprised in a good way.

7. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

If you are going into a beer not expecting to care much for it, why buy it in the first place? Especially when you could have just as easily sampled it at Old Chicago. I know price point is better as the 4 pack but you wouldn't be left with 3 extra bottles if you found you didn't like it. Just curious.

8. Bitterbill

I *did* look at some of the reviews so I kind of fibbed, or did I, when I said I wasn't expecting much.:rolleyes: Anywho, it worked out fine for me and even if I didn't fancy it, it takes a LOT for me to dislike a beer enough to say, drain pour it. I can work my way through some real stinkers..

9. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Gotcha.

Unlike you, it doesn't take much for me to turn my attention elsewhere.

10. Bitterbill

And if I lived in Ft Collins, it wouldn't take much for me either. Hell, I haven't been down there since forever.

denver10 likes this.
  11. [​IMG]

Got a lot of new ones in the fridge today but this one's first up. Gonna have to get a little buzz going with the grandma coming to visit tonight for a few days. Kill me...

sleuthdog and denver10 like this.
  12. Wasatch

Wasatch Advocate (695) Utah Jun 8, 2005

13. Just finished my first national Bohemian, and I like it less than Coors Light, Bud Light, Miller Lite, etc. It was light, but not so sweetness, no bite, no nothing. It was on the level of Keystone and Natty Light. Watered down water.

14. fvernon

fvernon Savant (370) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2010

Upland is pulling out 4 new brews this year (congrats to them for winning gold for Sour Reserve this weekend); first on the list is Lil' Sebastian E.S.B. (love the name)... very malt-forward, solid english hops with a nice bitter aftertaste - perfect combo with some fish and chips at the brewery.

garymuchow likes this.
  15. morimech

Am I missing something here?:)

mikeburd1128 and match1112 like this.
  16. Poorpatz

Poorpatz Savant (255) Massachusetts Apr 27, 2010

Not a new beer for me today. But I got my self set up for a three year vertical ( 10,11,12) of three philosophers. I have some nice pics of the bottles but I don't know how to add them.

17. FanofHefe

FanofHefe Advocate (625) Illinois Feb 13, 2010

New Flanders Oud Bruin Sunday

Greeting NBSers. Been a while since I posted here. Blustery day in So. IL, a little light rain. Good day to stay in and catch some football and try a new brew. Finally got around to popping by bottle of GI Madame Rose.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1549/51983/?ba=FanofHefe

Very good representation of the style and enjoyable.

Cheers!

18. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

garymuchow and JoeyBeerBelly like this.
  19. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

[​IMG] Herbed / Spiced Beer [​IMG]
    Happy NBS to all...​
    Beautiful day here on Long Island with temps in the mid 60's just a bit breezy. I helped the wife clean and decorate the house for halloween this morning. The she made me lunch and let me watch football.​
    Pizza for lunch with my 1st new beer of the day...​
    [​IMG]

Bitterbill, CHADMC3, woemad and 4 others like this.
  20. [​IMG]

New beer #2. Another strong offering from Kane.

xnicknj likes this.
  21. GRPunk

GRPunk Advocate (600) Michigan Apr 5, 2007

New Old Ale (always makes me chuckle)

Awesome weekend in West MI. Warm temps (at least upper 60's) and off and on rain.

Decent sports results and some time to relax this weekend. Life is good.

Great brew from Founders. Limited release to West MI. I understand they made a nice contribution to the local historical museum with the proceeds.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/86159

JoeyBeerBelly and garymuchow like this.
  22. kotayk

kotayk Aficionado (180) California Feb 22, 2011

Stone Enjoy by 11-9-12
    Thanks to the Stone tasting room in Pasadena for doing growler fills
    Doesn't any fresher !

23. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

All this talk about ESB's in the forums today had me craving one, and as luck would have it I just happened to have a fresh one laying around thanks to minnesotaryan! http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29442/83974/?ba=match1112 Might be back with more later. Till then then hope everyone had an enjoyable weekend and it's good to see Joey back at it. Cheers!

Edit: forgot the pic
    [​IMG]

JoeyBeerBelly, GRPunk and garymuchow like this.
  24. garymuchow

garymuchow Champion (760) Minnesota Aug 31, 2001

New Am IPA Sunday

Greetings NBSer's,

Sun came out mid-day that warmed up an otherwise cool and blustery day. Good day for yard work and spending time outside with the grandkid.

Semi local beer for SCMN. A beer contracted by a company in Nebraska for a grocery store chain out of IA, brewed in WI (Stevens Point) and the brewery named for a location in WI and the beer for MN/WI logging tradition. Available, allegedly, only in this upper mid-west grocery store chain.

Really fine aroma. Mouth feel could do better. All in all a perfectly drinkable brew.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29500/84779/?ba=garymuchow

Best to all this week.

JoeyBeerBelly, morimech and GRPunk like this.
  25. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,120) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Greetings fellow NBSers! Well, yesterday was the second Saturday of October and round these parts that means the rainy season has started. Just like clockwork. A week ago girls were wearing thin-strap tops, flowing skirts and cute shoes. Now it's fleece, Gore-tex and rubber boots. Sigh. My first new brew of the day was this nice little lager, brewed by a former Formula 1 driving champ, bonus points! http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18067/55200 . I had a couple other new brews earlier and I've got some other reviews to add, so I'll see y'all in a bit: .

26. morimech

Impressive considering I live less than 15 miles from the brewery and have yet to see a single offering from them.

garymuchow likes this.
  27. dhannes

dhannes Savant (385) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

Went with Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale for my new beer...of Black Sheep Brewery in Rochester, NY? Hmmm...sounds like a contracted beer. So far, not impressed.

Bitterbill likes this.
  28. woemad

woemad Champion (805) Washington Jun 8, 2003

New Double IPA
    Greetings, NBSers
    65 degrees in Spokane today, but the skies are gray and a breeze is blowing leaves down the street. First day where it actually looks like fall.

Today I went with a beer I've long wanted to try from Silver City:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/959/14119/?ba=woemad

Very tasty. An excellent accompaniment to a Seahawk game.

29. RJLarse

RJLarse Advocate (720) Washington Dec 30, 2005

>>>>>> New Witbier Sunday <<<<<<

Having a bomber of Redhook Wit. A nice light fruity brew. This might have been better in the heat of summer.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18134/68941

The label says "made with Ginger but still digs MaryAnn." Can't argue with that. I was a MaryAnn guy myself. Ginger was high maintenance.

Cloudy and breezy here in the Columbia Basin, with temps in the mid-60's.. The first real fall like weekend of the season, and we have yet to have a serious frost, so it's hard to complain about our weather.

Wow! Week 400 coming up next Sunday. I came in around week 50, and I recognize a lot of participants who have been here over the years. Who would have thought a goofy little beer thread would have that kind of persistence? It's truly an Internet curiosity.

Happy Trails!

30. beertunes

A new beer I had last night listed ESB malts on the label, so I entered it as one, albeit a fresh hop take. Good to see a FH brew that's not a Pale/IPA: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18081/86160/?ba=beertunes

JoeyBeerBelly, match1112 and GRPunk like this.
  31. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (910) New York Aug 25, 2010

I'm back with another.

Confession: I had this beer when it first came out, but I never reviewed it (I also forgot I didn't reviewed it). I had the good fortune to spot a couple this week, and here I am - hope this still counts as a "new" beer since, a) I never reviewed it before, and b) it isn't the same beer in the bottle it was 10 months ago...?

I love Old Rasputin. It was my first OMG stout of any kind once I got into craft beer. It's a "go to" stout, like Stone's Imperial Russian, when there's nothing new or limited to buy and I want an Imperial stout (throw Speedway and Founders in there, too, since we're not just talking about Russian Imperials).

Anyway, there was no reason I deserved to buy this for myself (IIRC it was more than $30... I have a poor impulse control mechanism and faulty memory that allows me to keep buying good beers no matter what the expense)...

Barrel-Aged Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout XIV
    [​IMG]

Poured:
    [​IMG]

Reviewed: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/112/75978/?ba=Greywulfken
    Notice I gave it a 5 for appearance - I mean, lookit that ^ !

Here's the lacing I referenced:
    [​IMG]

I'm no expert on anything beer, but (lol) Old Rasputin is as good as it gets. When I had the XIV last year, it was good, but I wasn't sure it was worth what I had spent. I still question that (I figure if I'm keeping it on the DL from the wife, I'm spending more than I should (lol)), but I can recognize the excellence of craftsmanship and the aging effects more clearly now. This is a tight beer. If you respect the style, and can afford the frickin' thing, a must buy. 'Specially if you spot one now, since they've aged and must be getting some re-distribution (it just popped up randomly in my area this week).

I'm finishing the bottle now...
    My final pour
    [​IMG]
    Absolutely better as it warmed, BTW - it got classier. This was a "spirit" among beers. The bourbon barrel effect and warming perfected this brew as I drank it.

The dreaded last sips...
    [​IMG]

Cheers! To Rasputin! To you, new beer drinkers!

GRPunk, CHADMC3, denver10 and 3 others like this.
  32. gestyr

gestyr Savant (325) Pennsylvania Dec 5, 2005

Tonight I am enjoying an Elysian Bete Blanche which my non-beer drinking wyfe chose for me. :)

33. beertunes

Like Greywulfken above,I'm currently having a stout I've had before, but hadn't reviewed. A nice Dry stout from a local brewery, I can't believe I hadn't reviewed it before today. However, this is NBS and here's a review of a nice Festbier I had at home earlier today: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/423/3321

GRPunk and JoeyBeerBelly like this.
  34. beertunes

As I drink my last beer (a Black Raven Totem Pale, yeah!) before heading into work, here's my last new beer for this NBS. I'll see if I can find a special brew for next weeks milestone NBS. I hope all y'all have a fun and beery week, Viva El Birdos! (although I'm not really looking forward to facing Verlander 2, or maybe even 3, times in the World Series) Go Cards and bite it Yankees! http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3818/13637

JoeyBeerBelly likes this.
  35. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

Bitterbill and mattcrill like this.
  36. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

when my girlfriend got home, i popped open another new beer with her that i was excited to try (Surly SYX). perhaps it was the BA4D i had before OR the delicious schezuan food she brought home with her, but the results were less than stellar:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13014/83384/?ba=xnicknj

37. *** New American Strong Ale Sunday***

Greetings NBS,

A late check in from Southern, CT where the weather is now unseasonably warm after being pretty darn chilly and rainy for a few days. Taking care of the wife and baby who both are fighting colds and taking care of chores while checking in on football scores and baseball playoffs all day.

Some family from PA came up this weekend and brought this gem:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/73/1792

38. mixed_master7

mixed_master7 Initiate (0) Florida May 16, 2012

Watching the premiere of Walking Dead drinking the first of my case of CCB imperial sweet stout, and it is AMAZING!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.