1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Beer Sunday (week 409)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mattcrill, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattcrill

mattcrill Advocate (710) Ohio Mar 16, 2004

Good morning Yule lagers and misers of jube-ale-ation!

I hope this message finds you ready for another Sunday full of new and tasty beers to coat your snifters, goblets, and yard glasses.

Finally saw some of the white stuff here in Central OH this weekend. I'm not sure if it will last long enough for Santa but it definitely helped create a winter wonderland that could warm up the Scrooge-iest of souls.

I think I finally reached my limit of SN Celebration. I'm not complaining but I had a pint of Torpedo this week and it was just like a new beer to me. I realized that it had been a long time since I had a non-Celebration American IPA and my palate was most pleased. Just reminded me that even long-time beers can seem like new after some time away.

Whatever your plans and whatever the climate this is the forum to share a virtual new pint with us! Please try a new beer and post your linked review or a very good description of what you sampled on this fine Sunday. If there is any doubt about how to conduct yourself in this thread just search any post by Greywulfken to enlighten yourself to the magic and wonderment that NBS can bring.

Regardless of your holiday bent I hope you have a great NBS and a great week...hopefully with some time off and some new beers. May the "lump of coal" you receive this week come from Ridgeway Brewing or the Defiant Brewing Company and NOT from Jolly Ol' Saint Nick.

Good day and good drinkin'.

Peace, love, and malty-ness,

Matt
  2. morimech

morimech Advocate (665) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

Russian Imperial Stout

Things are moving a little slow on this holiday weekend for NBS. Not usually the first to post but will today. For Festivus I had a worthy adversary for the feats of strength after the airing of grievences: Fulton Worthy Adversary

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22167/57172/?ba=morimech
    Bitterbill, CHADMC3, GRPunk and 5 others like this.
  3. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

I usually don't get a chance to have an NBS before late afternoon/early evening when most of you guys have packed it in for the day...
    And today will be no exception. I just wanted to say hi before the thread fades into the background as it always seems to by the time I'm ready to contribute to it.

I wish you all the best in your beer adventures for this lovely day (it's currently 35 degrees and sunny here in north central IL as the wife and I prepare foodstuffs for the party tomorrow). Once my leash is loosened enough that I may drink and review, expect me to come at you fast and furiously. I'm gonna bring it on like a clear and present danger.

I always look forward to seeing what all of you are drinking-- it is like living vicariously through your collective mouths.
    Please include pics. I get so lonely sometimes.
    Cheers
  4. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

"Kentucky Common Beer"

I poured a new one last night in-between my usual torrent of industrial swill and barrel-aged* goodness. It paired well with cold pizza, but not as good as a bottle of EPA and *fresh* pizza, the night before:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/467/86524/?ba=Chaz

*Yet more barrel-aged weirdness from that brewery up in Cold Spring while I watch the Vikings lose... :cool:
    Bitterbill, morimech, GRPunk and 5 others like this.
  5. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Sam Noble was a little hoppy. Cool, Matt?
    denver10 likes this.
  6. mattcrill

Not really.
    beertunes likes this.
  7. mattcrill

New Double IPA Sunday

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23020/59514/?ba=mattcrill

Lovely wife picked this up in Cincinnati.

Never heard of this Belgian brewery and like many Belgian beers, this beer seems to occupy a lot of different stylistic categories. As I mentioned in my review...call it what you want but "delicious" is a good style for me.
    Bitterbill, morimech, GRPunk and 4 others like this.
  8. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (890) New York Aug 25, 2010

Hey, folks...

It's finally cold-ish this "winter" day here on LI. The meteorologists were predicting chances of snow on Xmas Eve a few days ago (lol), but the story's changed since then... we've been downgraded to rain. Yerp.
    Yo, I grew up here on LI, and I remember lotsa snowy Xmases when I was a kid. I miss our old climate. :(

Hope it's a not a day or too early, but since I didn't have any other new beers on hand to drink, I popped the cork on my very first Scaldis Noel (a.k.a., Bush de Noel): :D *attitude adjusted*
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is delicious. Totally great holiday drink. I actually rated it a little higher than other BSDAs like Trois Pistoles and Gulden Draak because of how great it is for the season.
    [​IMG]
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/604/2232/?ba=Greywulfken

Mmmm. You know this beer warms particularly well.

Hoping for some life from the Steelers and Giants! *braces for disappointment* o_O

Cheers, all!
  9. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Scaldis Noel is an old favorite of mine, and it's a fun one to cellar for a little while, even break it out for a night of sampling during the the heat of July. Cheers! :)
    Bitterbill likes this.
  10. jwc215

jwc215 Advocate (685) Wisconsin Dec 6, 2005

New "Witbier" uhhh...Saturday? (whoops)

Hello all!

Sunny but rather cold here in New Jersey today!

Yesterday, I did something ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! (I'm being sarcastic - and, yes, I was sober...lol) I reviewed my new beer for new beer Sunday - THEN realized that it was Saturday. Anyway, I'll post it here, as it was intended to be had today, and I'll review next week's beer in a little while and report back with it today.

Anyway, it was an "interesting" beer that I scored on the generous side. I didn't quite like it as much as the score shows, but I suppose it fit where the brewery was going with it. It's not really a witbier, but is in a more unique style (perhaps a wheatwine?? - or a fruit/beer, Pale Wheat Ale?) In any case, it was a bit pricey for what it was. It's from Blue Moon/Coors - Proximity - a wheat ale made with juice from grapes.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/306/87703/?ba=jwc215

Cheers!
    Bitterbill, morimech, GRPunk and 5 others like this.
  11. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

Bitterbill, morimech, GRPunk and 7 others like this.
  12. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

13. jwc215

jwc215 Advocate (685) Wisconsin Dec 6, 2005

New "Witbier" Sunday

I'm back with the review for today's new beer - Another from Blue Moon/Coors. Well - they "tried" something different... but, I don't care for it much. I have half of a bottle left, and I'll get through it. It's not "bad", but not "good" either. I prefered the white (Proximity) that I had yesterday over the red (Impulse) that I had today. It tries to be a blend of beer and wine, I suppose. Categorized as a wit here, it's not really (not intended to be). Anyway, they can't all be "winners".

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/306/87702

Merry Christmas all! I have a pilsener from Belgium lined up for next week. Hopefully, that will be better than this.

OH - wasn't the world supposed to end by now? LOL

Cheers!
  14. Bitterbill

My good friend. NBS is a thread that compels BAs to post about new beers they're trying. Review links are the best but very descriptive impressions also cut the cake. We want others to see what we really think of the new beers we are trying so that others can judge whether the beers are worthy of them trying it. Or not. Strict rules? Yes. But, I feel they are necessary in this thread.
    beertunes, GRPunk, AleWatcher and 4 others like this.
  15. Bitterbill

Joe, it's great to see you active again.(I meant to post this in your earlier NBS posts)
    I've seen the Blue Moon bottles in town but they are a bit pricey for what I'd expect you get. And your reviews proved it. Cheers!
  16. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Hello NBS'ers. a cold day, finally dry, less windy, and still bare ground here in Mid Hud Val NY. Am drinking a strange beer from Smuttynose, actually am reviewing it now, but have stopped to pour another glass, it is, redundantly, strange. Funny name too, Zinneke. Hope to tell y'all about it momentarily.
  17. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

[​IMG]
    Happy NBS to all...​
    Chilly and sunny here on Long Island today. We had heavy winds the past few days but today it was much calmer. It gave me a chance to fix the Christmas lights on the house that the wind loosened up. After that I drained the pool cover and helped my neighbor fix his gutters. Finally got the chance to sit down and have a new beer and I decided to go with this beer from Fat Head's...​
    [​IMG]
  18. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

New Belgian Strong Dark Wheat Stout Sunday (week 409)

Woahh, this beer has a multiple personality thing going on that hit me all wrong. YMMV, but I rate high, and this review was a -rdev of 35. I like Smuttynose usually. Supposed to be barrel aged. Really? Not that barrel notes would have helped this one. Sorry no pic today. Hope you have a Great American Beer in your glass. Cheers!

Strangebrew
  19. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Champion (755) Ohio Jul 4, 2005

*** New Herbed/Spiced Beer ***

Just drank a bottle of Dogfish Head's newest Ancient Ale, Birra Etrusca Bronze. I thought it was a good brew, and as with most DFH brews, interesting as well. Here's my review: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10099/87844/?ba=bluejacket74

On another note, I got a nice early Christmas present when the Bengals beat the Steelers earlier today. Who Dey!

This will be my only new beer of the day, but I'll keep checking back to see what others post on here. Happy NBS everyone!
  20. garymuchow

garymuchow Champion (750) Minnesota Aug 31, 2001

New American IPA Sunday

Hey, later in the day greetings to all you NBSer's,

Busy, busy, busy as I'm sure you all are. Very cool and Christmas like in these here parts of SCMN. Got enough snow to make the lights even more enjoyable and worth travelling around to see. It is scheduled to stay winter like for the foreseeable future and that is the way it should be.
    Hitting some Avery beers before they leave the MN market. Going for a solid Am. IPA and I found it and then some.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30/2729/?ba=garymuchow

Merry Christmas to all and until next week "here's to you".
  21. GRPunk

GRPunk Advocate (575) Michigan Apr 5, 2007

New Biere de Garde Sunday

Kind of a "blah" day in West MI. The dusting of snow has melted in my part of town, but it's stuck around as we traveled north for the day. A touch of the flu with our youngest has put a damper on some of the early Christmas celebrations. Cookie decorating is done, a last letter to Santa is coming up, then maybe a viewing of Christmas Story or Christmas Vacation after the boys are to bed.

This collaboration between New Belgium and Brewery Vivant hit the spot during some down time. Kind of a different take on the style. Enjoyable all the same.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/87113/?ba=GRPunk
  22. FanofHefe

FanofHefe Advocate (625) Illinois Feb 13, 2010

New American Barleywine Sunday

Greeting NBSers! Very nice day in the Metro St. Louis region. Sunny and seasonably warm. But, alas, too much on my plate to get outdoors.

Finally settling in for some football and brews. Very happy to have picked up Founders Bolt Cutter Barleywine. I think this one is superb for the style:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/86802/?ba=FanofHefe

Cheers and Merry Christmas!
  23. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

My apologies to MattCrilll and to Bitterbill. I wuz a dik, and I am sorry. Peace and luv, brothers.
    Bitterbill and match1112 like this.
  24. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

[​IMG] RUSSIAN IMPERIAL STOUT [​IMG]
    My 2nd new beer of the day was from local Blue Point Brewing...​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  25. match1112

I had a feeling it would be less than stellar when the beer guy at one store put it on the shelf with a sign that said it was super limited. When all the real super limited stuff he has a buddy list for. I will probably still pick it up just because Smutty is a solid brewery.
    AleWatcher, bluejacket74 and cavedave like this.
  26. This.is.awesome.

[​IMG]
    Bitterbill likes this.
  27. RJLarse

RJLarse Advocate (675) Washington Dec 30, 2005

>>>>>> New Winter Ale <<<<<<

I almost posted this under the American Stout category.
    Abominable Ale from Fremont Brewing.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20680/55271

A very drinkable ale. I make it as much a traditional coffee stout as a winter ale, but very good indeed.

40 degrees and partly sunny in eastern Washington. Chances of a white Christmas a dwindling, but it will be Christmas just the same.

Merry Christmas To All.
  28. Bitterbill, CHADMC3 and GRPunk like this.
  29. match1112

Bitterbill and GRPunk like this.
  30. Hey, that is actually the wrong beer you reviewed under. The bottle you have is Scaldis Noel Premium. Here is the correct beer:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/604/24693
    Bitterbill and AleWatcher like this.
  31. Im back home in NC Ohio, and its December for sure. Windy, and cold with highs somewhere near freezing and lows in the teens.

I had two new beers today, after completing an IP trade with dakkon54 yesterday (thanks jason!)

First up was Dark Horse Perkulator.

They were not kidding about the coffee part. Lots of hazelnut coffee up front with a sharp acidic bite from the coffee and possibly the base beer as well. it was like pure coffee.

The second was Dark Horse Thirsty Trout Porter. This is a complex baltic porter for sure. Its very smooth and sweet. The mouthfeel is super slick and drinkable, but the taste has alot of smoke, roast, and toast. Burnt wood and a hint of tobacco smoke as well. Its better than Duck Rabbit (which is hard to do).
  32. first narwhal, delicious!
  33. New American Barleywine Sunday

Greetings NBS and Merry Christmas Eve Eve as applicable out there.

We started our Christmas travels this weekend and just returned home this evening and now its time for a late NBS check in. Lots of good brews today it looks. I was really impressed by this massive Barleywine from Dogfish:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10099/6533

Enjoy the family, food, and brews the next few days (you pick the order).
  34. Just had my first Sofie from Goose Island. It was a nice beer, had lots of sediment in the bottom, but I would compare it to Ommegang Hennepin, but with a little less "yeasty" bite. I know this one is a Belgian Strong Ale and the Hennepin is a Saison, but they are still quite similar in taste. I ordered this bottle from Half Time, but apparently my area will be getting Goose Island in the coming months. I'll look forward to getting this one again.
  35. AleWatcher

________/---------* NEW BLACK IPA *--------\________

Hop Juice Black by Two Brothers
    [​IMG]

I've been meaning to tackle this one for an NBS, but I'm lazy and Sunday's are too short.
    Now I'm just watching some Simpsons on Hulu and decided it was time....

Non beer news: I got all my chores done and pre-made my hardest appetizers, so all I have to do tomorrow is heat them up... Highlights include: bacon-wrapped lil smokies, baked Brie with sautéed apples and onions in a pastry puff, and hot & spicy cocktail wieners.

Beers news:
    This is actually pretty good. I'm somewhat impressed-- which is saying something because I'm usually not a black ipa fan... And, like many of us, I love finding fault with 2bros stuff!

Here's another pic--
    [​IMG]

And here's the review:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/689/70158
  36. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (890) New York Aug 25, 2010

Ohh! Lookit that. Wow - thanks, man - I'll fix that (tomorrow :D) - thanks for pointing it out!
    mattcrill and UCLABrewN84 like this.
  37. Continuing my tasting of the Chicagoland brewscape with my first ever Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald. Such a big beer for such a low percentage. So glad I have five more where this came from.
    mattcrill likes this.
  38. AleWatcher

Is... Is that a... stock photo?
  39. It is, because I have no high quality pic options. If it is illegal I apologize and will take it down immediately.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.