1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Beer Sunday (week 410)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mattcrill, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattcrill

mattcrill Advocate (710) Ohio Mar 16, 2004

Good morning Senators of sours and Congressmen of Kölsch!

Looking forward to another festive New Beer Sunday. Weather in Central OH is a winter wonderland. We've had about 6 inches of snow over the past few days. The back is a little sore from all the shoveling but it's been fun for my kids and their sleds.

Had a nice date with the wife last night at Pies and Pints. It's a chain with a lovely tap and bottle selection. My chipotle chicken pizza paired nicely with the Columbus Bodhi Double IPA and a lovely after dinner Founder's Breakfast stout. Good stuff.

Sorry for the early entry this AM but headed to lunch for more family festivities. This will be the last of the holiday silliness but the timetable is not NBS friendly. I'm confident that y'all can fly the flag in my absence.

Let's hear what Santa brought you that is new and beer related...please post a linked review or a good description of a new beer you had today. If you have pics please share. If not, please share your virtual pint with all your witty banter, musings, and nuances of the new beer you have consumed today.

Good day and good drinkin'.

Peace, love, and malty-ness,

Matt
  2. jwc215

jwc215 Advocate (685) Wisconsin Dec 6, 2005

New Euro Pale Lager Sunday

Hello all!

It's cold and windy but sunny here in New Jersey.

I bought a 12-pack variety pack of Belgian beers. Not a bad price - about sixteen bucks. I had already reviewed the other beers. Estaminet "Premium Pils" is a nice lager - nothing particularly special, but nice. The other beers are good too, so it was worth the buy.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/889/65218

Cheers!
  3. Lerxst

Lerxst Savant (415) Florida Jun 17, 2005

Sunny and 46 degrees currently in NE Florida. Later on I'll be sipping on a 2009 Old Stock Cellar Reserve and an Old Dubh 30. Maybe crack a Bruery Smoking Wood as well. Gonna be a good day.

Cheers!
    Scalzo and Deltoro like this.
  4. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Make sure you post your reviews/impressions of said beers here as that is what NBS is all aboot.;)
    beertunes likes this.
  5. AAG

AAG Aficionado (180) Texas Dec 29, 2012

Good morning from Texas-

For Christmas my in-laws bought me a craft beer-of-the-month club! This inspired me to setup an account on BeerAdvocate to start learning about (and reviewing) beers. First shipment of beers arrived - Mojo IPA, Saranac White IPA, and Buffalo Gold....reviews are in....looking forward to more...

Cheers!
  6. garymuchow

garymuchow Champion (750) Minnesota Aug 31, 2001

New American Stout Sunday,

Greetings to all NBSer's from a seasonable cold SCMN. Gorgeous looking day with a bright sunshine and snow glistening everything (need sunglasses, or so my opthamologist tells me) and a cold temp to keep it that way for awhile. Colder weather scheduled to bring in the new year.

Today I am following fellow NBSer's Morimech with a beer he reviewed a week or so ago (this probably won't be the last time I follow-up a review of his). Can probably keep busy with just reviewing new MN beers, with all the new breweries popping up in these here parts. I'll have to say I didn't go for the first beer I sampled from this brewery, but I do feel differently about this one. Hits the spot well on a cold winter day of football.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29442/87223/?ba=garymuchow

Best to all this week and Happy New Year.
  7. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

Welcome to the site and New Beer Sunday!
    It is helpful to us if you can copy and paste a link to your reviews in your comments above and posting a pic of the beer in a glass is a welcome addition. Wait a little bit and Greywulfken will come out of hiding and show you how it's done (he makes us all look bad).
    beertunes likes this.
  8. AAG

Thanks, match 1112!

Saranac White IPA - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/99/76375/?ba=AAG

Mojo IPA - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/130/12322/?ba=AAG

Buffalo Gold - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/130/5088/?ba=AAG

Pictures to follow later when I crack open a Saranac Big Moose Ale!

Cheers!
  9. match1112

10. jwc215

BILL! I meant to respond to you last week! Glad to see that you are still around! Hope you are doing well! If you are still trading, let me know!
    Bitterbill likes this.
  11. jwc215

New German Pilsener Sunday

Well, my second new beer was not as good as the first. I think I was generous in my review. I'll say "supportive". I went into it with an open mind, as the Michelob craft beer line wasn't too bad. This is from the same brewery, but they missed the mark. That's a shame. There was an "amateur ale" character to it. Hopefully, the other two brews in the variety pack will be better. I plan on holding on to them to have for the next to New Beer Sundays, so we shall see.

Have a good New Year's everyone!

Cheers!
    Joe
  12. match1112

13. woemad

woemad Champion (770) Washington Jun 8, 2003

NEW DRAINPOUR SUNDAY​
    25 degrees outside right now. I'm gearing up for the 'hawks game in a little more than an hour or so. Last night I filled in for someone at work and found myself driving home near midnight on icy roads as temperatures dropped down into the low to mid teens, coldest so far this winter​
    I ignored what others have told me about the current state of Rocky Coulee beers and purchased their winter ale at a new private liquor store in the Tri-Cities. I should have listened to them:​
    Epically awful. Usually I try to stick out a beer I don't like, but I just couldn't drink more than about 25% before I had to bail. Avoid this like the plague.​
    bluejacket74 and garymuchow like this.
  14. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Savant (460) New Jersey Nov 21, 2011

I was out for lunch and enjoyed a Kane Headhigh, a rock-solid locally brewded IPA, came home and popped this disappointment: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13884/66426/?ba=NiceTaps. Maybe my review is too harsh, but for a style that I normally enjoy, the beer was a letdown. So it goes.

36 degrees with a bitter wind that feels frigid here in the OC (Ocean County, NJ). Time now to head to buddy's house for, what else, more ( and new) beer.

Cheers!
    garymuchow and bluejacket74 like this.
  15. match1112

16. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Yeah, I'm still alive and kicking. And trading somewhat. If you're interested in some Deschutes and Odell stuff that's on the newer side, hit me up.;)
  17. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Champion (755) Ohio Jul 4, 2005

** New Winter Warmer **

Happy NBS everyone! I'm trying to get through the last of my stock of new Christmas beers/winter warmers, so I figured I might knock a couple of them out tonight. Here's my review of Hoppin' Frog Barrel Aged Frosted Frog Christmas Ale: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14879/64096/?ba=bluejacket74

Not my favorite of their brews, but on the bright side at least it was better than the regular Frosted Frog (that I really didn't care for). I should have another new beer review on here later. Cheers!
  18. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Champion (755) Ohio Jul 4, 2005

** Another New Winter Warmer **

I've always been a sucker for buying those Christmas themed beers that seem to pop up every year, so here's my review of Ridgeway's Pickled Santa: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/7944/45730/?ba=bluejacket74

This is my last new beer review for today, now I'm going to drink something that I know is pretty good. I'm thinking some Great Lakes Blackout Stout sounds good right about now! I'll check on here later to see everyone else's new brews.
    JoeyBeerBelly and match1112 like this.
  19. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Greetings fellow NBSers! It's a mostly cloudy day here in the Fourth Corner, temps aren't too chilly and it's not raining. I hope everyone had a good holiday and got lots of tasty brews into their bellies. I can't post a formal review today, because the brewery isn't listed here (I did just submit it though), it's a new-ish brewery located out in the San Juan Islands. I believe this may be the first time their brews have left the island.

The brewery name is Island Hoppin' Brewery and I'm starting out with a pint of their Island Hoppin' IPA. It poured a semi-hazy gold-yellow color with about a half inch of white head that had decent retention and lacing- 3.5. The aroma was bit more malt forward than a lot of other local IPA's but still had nice citrus and floral notes- 3.0. There was more of a piney hop presence on the tongue, with the smooth malts playing against a nice citrusy finish- 3.5. The body was nicely smooth, with a crisp dry finish- 3.5 (maybe 4). Drinkability was very good, my pint went down quickly and I might have another later (after I try the other brews that are on tap here). Overall, a nice little IPA, not really worth seeking out, but certainly worth having if you see it- 3.5/4.
  20. Hello. It is my first time but I'm drinking a new beer to me so I will chime in.

The weather is beautiful here in the NC foothills. Sunny upper 40's. I'm out grilling salmon.

DFH Palo Santo Marron. Wow. 12% into my open end Duvel.

It is huge. And great. I don't taste the vanilla I read about but the woody flavor is dominating with huge sweet malt character.

A simple review here.. 4.5 across the board. The alchohol is beautifully covered with flavor in this beer and it is absolutely beautiful. This is the highest I will give til I find a game over beer. I will buy this many more times even though the 12oz was 4.99 at total wine. Absolutely worth it!
  21. woemad

woemad Champion (770) Washington Jun 8, 2003

22. I
    I've heard really good things about that beer.. Hope to see one around!
  23. I had an exit 16 DIPA at lunch and was not particularly impressed even though it is my favorite style.
  24. sandbergandy

sandbergandy Zealot (85) Minnesota Nov 21, 2012

I had Pliny the Elder and Deschutes Hop Henge both for the first time in a blind testing that included a number of other things I have had before. I had Abrasive #1 and Pliny #2, although I am probably conditioned for this bias as I drink lots of Abrasive.
  25. beertunes

Finishing up an Old Madrona, also by Island Hoppin'. Seems like an ImpIPA to me, but the bartender didn't have any info, and the breweries website was useless. A clean, clear medium-dark amber with an inch of just off-white head that had good retention and lacing-3.5. A very hop-forward aroma featured mostly citrus, with some lightly earthy malts in the background-3.5. Citrus hops dominated the taste, with a lingering bitter finish. The malts had somewhat of a balancing effect-3.5 The body was fuller that typical the (presumed) style (this might be an Imperial Red, like OD's G'Knight), which is a positive in my eyes-4.0. Drinkability was good, but the bitter finish was a bit much for me, I probably wouldn't have more than one at a time. Overall, a nice enough brew, worth a shot if you see it-3.5.
    JoeyBeerBelly and bluejacket74 like this.
  26. beertunes

How's your day going? What did you think of those beers that were new to you? Here on NBS, we discuss what we think about the brews we try. This isn't the thread for old favorites, or just telling folks what's in your glass, there's another thread for that. We kind of know each other here, and new folks are always welcome. Please just follow Malty and MattCrill's simple rule of telling us about your NEW beer on New Beer Sunday. Cheers!
    mattcrill likes this.
  27. RJLarse

RJLarse Advocate (675) Washington Dec 30, 2005

New American Stout Sunday,

I have an American Stout this Sunday as well. Oatis, an oatmeal stout from Ninkasi.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14400/39296

A very good stout with robust coffee, chocolate and charcoal flavors. Another solid offering from Ninkasi, I do love their IPA's.

Clear and cold here in the Columbia Basin. Didn't get above freezing today and we are headed for the mid-teens tonight. Could be worse.

Happy New Year and Happy Trails!
  28. beertunes

And the last of the Island Hoppin' brews on tap, Riptide Porter. Poured a lightly translucent black, with about 3/4 inch of tan head that had moderate retention and light lacing- 3.5. Very nice, but not overpowering, roast aroma greet the nose, with a bit of grain in the background- 3.5. The flavor profile was pretty much the same, moderate roast, very gentle hops, pretty much what you expect from the style-3.5. The body was also fairly typical, smooth, even, medium, and with a slightly surprising dry finish- 3.5. Drinkability was pretty good, I'd have a couple on a rainy Fourth Corner day. Overall, a nice little brew, certainly worth a shot if you see it-4.0.
  29. beertunes

Great avatar, long live Allen Woody! I had the privilege of meeting Allen, Matt and Warren about 3 weeks before Allen died, in one of my favorite bar/restaurants, Dinosaur BBQ, in Rochester, NY, before gig. I was in Dino when when I found out about Allen's passing. Here's the Mule covering Sabbath:
  30. sandbergandy

Hey there Beertunes, thought I kinda did tell you which were the new beers (to me) that I hadn't tried before. "I had Pliny the Elder and Deschutes Hop Henge both for the first time". Those may be your old favorites, but I hadn't had them before today. I guess I was offering a bit of what I thought of them by mentioning how I ranked them amongst other brews that are more familiar to me in a blind taste test today. Sorry if I have somehow offended the club here.

Cheers, and Skol Vikings
    beertunes likes this.
  31. sandbergandy

I will expand on what I thought of my two new beers of Sunday beyond relative rank:

Hop Henge - The aroma was decent, and the hop characteristics were nice. However, I thought it was little too sweet/syrupy for my taste. It would be hard for me to have multiple.

Pliny the Elder - I think this beer is perfectly balanced. The aroma was nice, if not overpowering. It was pretty fresh (12/6/12), which I know many Pliny purists insist upon. I thought it had a lighter mouthfeel than the others sampled, and seemed pretty session-able as well. Since I previously mentioned that I ranked Abrasive higher in the blind test I know that is simply because the the flavors are more understated on a relative basis (more balanced). In a nutshell, I would rather have an ounce of Abrasive, but I am sure I would rather have a pint of Pliny. If I only it were more widely available.
  32. NEW RUSSIAN IMPERIAL STOUT SUNDAY

Good Evening NBS,

Wow, an action packed day in this thread - good to see. Southern, CT is darn cold and windy as we dig out from the snow. Looks like my wife finally got that 8" the weatherman promised her last night o_O. It's been a great holiday season so far relaxing with the various friends and family visited. Sitting down with the dog by the fire now.

It's good to have friends that think of you in their travels. To my recollection I have never seen this beer in CT and my buddy really did a great job picking this gem. This RIS was a great way to finish the NBS year:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/664/12873

If you can find it, try it! Happy New Year to all.
  33. beertunes

No worries bud, there's no club to join, ya already like good brew, that's good enough for us. I guess I'm just used to us long-timers being a bit more wordy:). Look forward to seeing ya back here in the future. Cheers, and Viva El Birdos! (only 42 days until pitchers and catchers report:cool:!)
  34. AAG

Enjoying a Saranac Big Moose Ale on this New Beer Sunday!

[​IMG]
  35. AAG

36. Awesome. I will participate more, if you all don't mind. Wheresmymule?
    beertunes likes this.
  37. beertunes

38. beertunes

More participation in NBS is always welcome. BTW, your Mule is here (I loved the bass run starting just after the 4m mark):
    Ivegotmule likes this.
  39. New Winter Warmer Sunday

I know Im late, but i was driving back from Ohio yesterday (where I hoped to meet up with mattcrill, but it didnt happen). I left the cold up north. It was about 20 degrees in Ohio with snow predicted. Now im back home in Central NC, and its a bit warmer. High 20s last night, with the high in the low 50s.

Last night I opened one of the beers from my Ohio haul (Fatheads Holly Jolly Ale). To me it tasted like Ginger Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Upfront sweet cinnamon and ginger with a touch of nutmeg to balance out what would be a cloyingly sweet beer. Slight grain to back it up. Not so bad.
  40. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

Happy New Year to all...

I'm sorry I'm a day late but I lost my internet connection most of Sunday due to high winds on Long Island (I guess a wire came down somewhere along the line?).
    I only had 1 new beer yesterday and it was quite good...

[​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.