1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Beer Sunday (week 411)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mattcrill, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattcrill

mattcrill Advocate (720) Ohio Mar 16, 2004

Good morning quarterbacks of ale and linebackers of lager! I hope this message finds you ready for another great week of all things new and beer related. Weather in Central OH has been pretty typical for January. Not much snow this week but plenty of cold to keep you in the winter beer-type mood.

Managed to get my mitts on some SN Ruthless Rye IPA on tap this week. It seemed to have a “lighter” mouthfeel and better drinkability which helped the hop flavor and aroma in my opinion. Regardless, it was delicious and I’ll be looking forward to finding it in bottles. Also, picked up some Founders IS this week. THAT is a great winter beer. Neither beers were new to me but it’s been a year since I've had them.

Speaking of new beer…this is the thread to find a great new beer and share your virtual pint with us! Please try a new beer today, cut and paste your review, or give us a good description of what you sampled so we can share in your new beer adventure. Pics are always welcome if you have them.

MBA classes start up again today so I will be chained to my desktop. I’ll be checking regularly throughout the day as I can only handle so much International Business in one sitting. Good day and good drinkin’.

Peace, love, and malty-ness,

Matt

2. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (675) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

New Beers tried this weekend:

Hoppin' Frog Cleveland Crusher (BORIS brewed with Belgian Chocolate made for Cleveland Beer Week '12)
    Stone 12.12.12
    Stone 11.11.11
    Stone 09.09.09
    SN Southern Hemisphere Harvest
    Black Diamond Rampage DIPA
    Troubador Westkust

Regulars also consumed this weekend:

FFF Zombie Dust
    Fat Heads Head Hunter
    Columbus IPA
    Ballast Point Victory at Sea

Cheers !

Pecan likes this.
  3. mattcrill

Please post a review or good description of any of the new beers you've tried. Please review prior NBS threads if there is any questions.

Cheers,

beertunes likes this.
  4. my local liquor store has the option to pick your own six for $9.99

so yesterday i purchased

batch-19
    abita turbodog
    new beligum red hoptober
    third street lost trout ale
    dundee kolsch style
    lucky bucket oktoberfest

the batch-19 was absolutely outstanding....great aroma, very hoppy, great after taste...i will be purchasing a six pack of that for sure

today i will be trying the dundee kolsch style

5. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (935) New York Aug 25, 2010

Afternoon, gents...

Hazy blue skies here on LI, prolly close to 40, but comfortably humid. Been a new beer weekend for me - had three yesterday (Stone's collaborative Perfect Crime, Mad River's Serious Madness, and Straffe Hendrik's quadrupel) - all really good BTW - while watching the start of "Wildcard Weekend" - somewhat dull, but at least competitive meet between the Texans and the Bengals, and then a lost-my-interest game as it became apparent Minnesota was not going to get anywhere against the Packers.

I'm hoping today's games will be kinda fun. All my teams sucked this year, so they're out of it. I'm hoping for two road wins today. I like the Indy feel-good story (but I'm braced for Ray Lewis to demolish it), and I find Seattle a pleasant, unassuming team with a cool coach and QB (but again, the Skins have RG3 and evil genius Mike Shanahan).

But I don't care. That's what the beer is for.

[​IMG]
    Mission Brewery's Shipwrecked Double IPA
    [​IMG]
    Didn't get much head, but I noted a lot of yeast in the bottle, and deciding not to include it, I chose to measure my pour.
    [​IMG]
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16393/56172/?ba=Greywulfken

Later today: Spider Bite's Boris the Spider RIS

Have a good 'un! :D

6. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

now that is how it's done!

7. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

This one is really great!
    [​IMG]

8. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I see you gave it a 4.5 in your hads. Can you tell us what flavours you were getting. I've had it before and dig it but some haven't tried it yet and need some prompting to give it a go. ;)

beertunes, AleWatcher and cavedave like this.
  9. mattcrill

I'm not entirely sure where the disconnect is today but please follow the NBS guidelines. They aren't hard and they prevent us from getting locked down or deleted as just saying what are are drinking or "what's in your glass" does not distinguish this thread from other threads. If you can't follow the guidelines, don't post. Simple. Please share reviews or good descriptions. Thank you.

"Speaking of new beer…this is the thread to find a great new beer and share your virtual pint with us! Please try a new beer today, cut and paste your review, or give us a good description of what you sampled so we can share in your new beer adventure. Pics are always welcome if you have them. "

beertunes, AleWatcher and Bitterbill like this.
  10. Bitterbill

It's kind of frustrating, isn't it, but I "know" RiO will come through with a good description.

beertunes likes this.
  11. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Savant (470) New Jersey Nov 21, 2011

I was out last night and tried this on for size: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/94/270/?ba=nicetaps. Not Bad!
    I drank it after midnight to ensure that it qualified for NBS! The pub was decidedly non-craft in beer choice, but I was pleasantly surprised when the waitress' eyes widened when I asked for an IPA. She had just run down the list of their run-of-the-mill beer selection. She came back with this goody.:)

Cheers, all!

12. match1112

Happy NBS to everyone! It's a warm 27* here in Central Illinois with a sky full of sunshine and just a little snow left on the ground. Good day to cook a pot of chili and sample some new to me beers. I saw this on the shelves yesterday and decided what the hay. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/21396/85472/?ba=match1112

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my photog skills are lacking compared to Greywulfken.:(

13. Bitterbill

He sure is a wonder at it but that last pic of yours makes me want to dive into the glass stark nak...err..makes me want to take a sip or 2.

woemad and match1112 like this.
  14. I just tried the first Waimea hoped commercial beer by epic brewing. It showcases them as a wonderful dry hopping addition to the Citra and cascade contingent.
    Aroma was filled with citrus and herbs wonderful pineapple.
    The appearance was a clear dark golden which was closer to a copper with a minimal head and low carbonation.
    The overall brew lacked a hop backbone and made it one note with a long light bitter aftertaste. Good showcase beer for the hop but not for an IPA.

JoeyBeerBelly likes this.
  15. match1112

Looks like I get to be the first repeat offender here today!
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10099/76781
    [​IMG]

I think it's held up well and the spices and cider have mellowed out together quite nicely. For full disclosure I should say that I had about two ounces of this a while back and dumped it because I didn't like it. Now it is kinda enjoyable.

16. philerman

philerman Savant (255) Pennsylvania Apr 14, 2009

Dock Street Rye IPA from a growler purchased at Devon Whole Foods.

17. match1112

Tell us more! Tell us more!
    Is it enjoyable? Does the Rye shine thru or is it more hidden? What's it look like? How's the nose, does it have some spicy rye on it or is it dominated by other ingredients of the beer?

Bitterbill likes this.
  18. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (305) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

DFH Immort Ale. Review to follow.

19. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (935) New York Aug 25, 2010

Thanks for the kindnesses, match and bill!

I'm onto my afternoon game beer now, Boris the Spider, from Spider Bite Brewing...
    [​IMG]
    I must be a wussy beer pourer today, 'cuz this is the second in a row that didn't kick up much head. This was from a center-pour, albeit a slow one:
    [​IMG]
    Not a beer I loved, but a good example (AFAIK) of a traditional RIS, and thereby, worthy of a buy and try for all fans of the style and beer advocates. I thought it most similar to the Wells & Young Courage RIS, by way of comparison.
    [​IMG]
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/27243/77485/?ba=Greywulfken

So the first game today went like this (by quarter): boring, competitive but slow-moving, competitive but slow-moving, I-could-see-its-basically-over (for the Colts) within-the-first-five-minutes. Yawn.

Alright, last game up; one more beer for later... but, it's not new - it's a personal fave: Allagash's Curieux; so I'm going to have to bid the thread adieu for the day.

Hope you all had a shiny New Beer Sunday!

20. garymuchow

garymuchow Champion (760) Minnesota Aug 31, 2001

New ESB Sunday,

Greetings my fellow NBSer's,

Seasonably cool and nicely sunny today in SCMN. I too, like Mattcrill has SN Ruthless Rye on tap yesterday, and it was delicious. Also had some Schell's Snowstorm on tap and there really was little to no difference from my experience in the bottle-which is fine as I am quite partial to this year's version.
    Today is a follow-up from last week's Badger Hill NBS adventure. Today trying this new brewery's regular light drinking offering - what they refer to as a MSB - or Minnesota Speical Bitter.
    It's gonna' be tough to make it if this is the standard bearer beer. Too bad, as I wish all the new breweries well (even just for guts.).

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29442/83974/?ba=garymuchow

My best to all this week.

21. *New American Stout Sunday*

First time trying trying Sixpoint's Diesel. I've stopped doing reviews, but I will provide some details.

Pours a very dark brown, almost black with a two inch tan head. (congested right now, so you will have to excuse me if I'm off on smells and taste) Smell is very hop forward with some chocolate and maltiness coming through. This is probably one of the hoppier stouts I've had. Definitely carries the typical Sixpoint flavor that I have seemed to notice in all of their beers. Roasty and bitter, more so than I was expecting. Mouthfeel is fairly light with a decent amount of carbonation. All around a decent stout, just not one of my favorites.

22. GRPunk

GRPunk Advocate (600) Michigan Apr 5, 2007

New Baltic Porter

Wrapping up the long Christmas Break here in West MI.

Temps rising and falling have made for periods alternating between slush and ice.

Finished up the chores, checked in on a Special Olympics clinic we help run, and made some time for a new brew. My Sunday jog just had to take a back seat this week. I felt I missed out last week by not making a little time to relax with a new selection.

With the New Year I decided it's time to try another run of new Michigan beers. Dark Horse has long been a favorite. This beer lived up to my expectations and then some.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1471/8532/?ba=GRPunk

23. FanofHefe

FanofHefe Advocate (700) Illinois Feb 13, 2010

New American Wild Ale Sunday

Greetings, NBSers!

Still cold with some snow on the ground in the metro St. Louis region today. Good day to stay inside and watch some playoff football and try a new brew.

Been sitting on this one for a while from a local brewery, Perennial Artisan Ales:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25888/80947/?ba=FanofHefe

A very solid wild one. Enjoyed it.

Cheers!

24. I got some beer male yesterday and instantly tore into this bad boy. Think I gave it a 4.13 rating.
    [​IMG]

AleWatcher and Deltoro like this.
  25. philerman

philerman Savant (255) Pennsylvania Apr 14, 2009

Not much on the nose, hop-forward taste, cloudy golden appearance. Not too much aftertaste. A solid 4 out of 5.

Bitterbill likes this.
  26. woemad

woemad Champion (845) Washington Jun 8, 2003

After I seemingly posted, my computer seemed to undergo a "hickup", so apologies if this turned up somewhere after all.

Currently low 30s in Spokane. Yesterday afternoon, after a bout of kitchen cleaning, I decided to hit up a couple of local breweries. First heading to Budge Brothers to buy a growler of their "eggnog milkstout," (got the absolute last of it) and a glass of their pale ale, I then headed to Iron Goat, where I had snifters of their Goatnik RIS (very well-done example of the style) and their "prototap" tripel, a recipe they are still R&D-ing (that nevertheless tasted awesome). Ending the evening at Jones, I had the good fortune to meet and hang out with BA and Belgian beer fan Teresa (BA name sadly forgotten), who was not only fun to talk to but also the first female BA I've ever met (making her, at least in this city, slightly less rare than a unicorn).

Today, after experimenting with my new coffee maker, my pre-Seahawk game warmups included a bomber of Hop Stoopid:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/220/35738/?ba=woemad
    Very tasty stuff, lots of hop flavor without too much boozy maltiness, unlike many beers of the style.

Now, I'm working on that growler.

27. Jsts tried a Heady Topper for the first time. It was pretty freakin good! Pliny is better though... ;)

28. RJLarse

RJLarse Advocate (730) Washington Dec 30, 2005

>>>>>> New American Pale Ale Sunday <<<<<<

Doom! The last of the 12 Beers of the Apocalypse series. Not a bad brew, but the bitterness was overdone.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/700/88218

In terms of the series I liked the Rapture (February) best. It was a heather ale and I gave it a 4.55.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/700/78802

Worst by far was the chocolate chili called Peste. (April). I gave it a 1.68. Can't believe the review average is 3.56.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/700/80421

Cold and foggy today in the Columbia Basin. We got just above freezing around mid-day, but now we are back into the mid-20's. Supposed to see 40's this week, which will make a mess of the ice and snow on the ground.

DISH and my local FOX affiliate are still fighting over $$$ so I am taking the Seahawk playoff game old school. Radio.

Happy Trails!

29. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

[​IMG] AMERICAN PORTER [​IMG]
    Happy NBS to all...​
    Sunny and crisp (right around 40) here on Long Island today.​
    I drove to New Jersey today to go to a wake for my former boss. He retired 10 years ago but he was a great man who will be missed.​
    Anyway, I did manage to hit a beer store in Jersey and stocked up on a few beers to get me through the next few New Beer Sundays.​
    I had this one in the fridge before my NJ haul so I decided to crack it open (click beer name for review)...​
    [​IMG]

30. New American Barleywine Style Sunday

Greetings NBS Sippers,

Much like the weather on the other side of the water for Beer Belly, it was Sunny and mild here in Southern, CT. Most of us took the opportunity to get the hell out of the house and take care of some needed business today. A good combo of work prep, chores, and family time for me today. Just polished off this beauty with dinner:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1416/3840

I seem to have liked this Uinta brew more than most, but damn, look out Bigfoot!. And at 10.99 per 4 pack (picked this up in RI on Friday) it's a good deal. I'm really impressed.

Lastly, WTF NBS? Instructions are simple. Read Matt Crill's post, follow instructions, repeat. Let's not destroy the greatness that is NBS. We have a really good core of NBS posters that get it right and all are welcome to join, but let's not miss the point here.

31. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (345) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

A home brewed Rye Pale Ale from a neighbor whose father home brews. He has apparently won some home brewing competitions. I can see why, this stuff was really good. You could have slapped on a label from any reputable brewery and I would have totally bought it at the store.
    Poured a dark, clear amber with an inch of off white head.
    Light roasted malt, rye and some apple in the nose.
    Bread/biscuit notes in front. Then the peppery rye comes in subtly and flows into the crisp bitter hop finish while still lingering after. A nice clean and refreshing glass of beer.
    [​IMG]

32. THEcorky

THEcorky Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 9, 2011

Paw Paw vanilla Jake's vanilla bean, Arcadia 16th Anniversary, Arbor Brewing Co. Mr. Delicious, and Bell's Red Nose ESB. Great day in Ann Arbor.

33. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (370) Florida Jan 7, 2010

Bitterbill, cavedave and AleWatcher like this.
  34. Seriously on the WTF NBS... And WTF took everyone so long to post a Barleywine? It's Winter people! Here's my review of Victory's crazy expensive Oak Horizontal...
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/345/88415/?ba=BeerImmediately

Loved it, despite my review being the lowest rating so far (c'mon peeps - where the Oak Ho reviews at?!?)

Bitterbill, cavedave and AleWatcher like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.