1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Beer Sunday (week 412)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mattcrill, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattcrill

mattcrill Advocate (720) Ohio Mar 16, 2004

Good morning pioneers of pale ales and surveyors of surveyors of schwarzbier!

I hope this message finds you looking forward to another Sunday full of all things new and beer related.

Weather in Central OH is quite spring-like. Mid 60's and no trace of snow save for the ugly gray ice piles randomly around the city. Sure doesn't feel like winter but having the heat off and taking the Christmas lights down without a jacket was nice.

Had my first Anti-Hero IPA from Revolution Brewing this week thanks to my local bottle shop. Wow! What a lively hop punch. Immensely drinkable with lots of citrus, pine, and "danky" American hop character that so many of us love. Not sure why I haven't tried it before but I'll be looking into that brewery more and it might make an appearance today.

Speaking of which...this is the thread to share your virtual new pint with us today! Please try a NEW beer and post your linked review or a good description of what you sampled so we can share in your wonderful discoveries today. If you have a pic or pics that you want to share of your conquests please feel compelled to post those here as well.

I hate to be the "NBS police" but it seems like we've lost a little focus lately. Sharing reviews or providing descriptions, pics, etc is what separates this thread from others and it's that unique character that allows this long tradition to continue with many thanks to the Bros. for allowing us to keep it going. Please refrain from posting just a list of what you had or what you intend to have today. There are other threads for that and if we don't differentiate ourselves this thread will likely get locked or deleted altogether. The guidelines are simple and clear. If there is any doubt as to what this is about there are 411 threads you can review. I appreciate everyone's help and of course, virtual new beer sharing.

Thanks for keeping NBS fresh, informative, and fun. Good day and good drinkin'!

Peace, love, and malty-ness,

Matt

powz87, beertunes, cavedave and 7 others like this.
  2. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

Woohoo! I'm first baby!

It looks cold out there here in north-central IL... I wouldn't know personally as I have no intention to leave the house today!

The kids and I are gonna watch a movie, play some mariokart, and perhaps some guitar... I have at least 6 beers I want to get through today, so I need to focus!

_______/---------^ NEW PALE LAGER ^-------\_______
    [​IMG]

Starting off with a brewery that just began distro here: Kona Brewimg Co from Kona Hawaii.
    This is their Longboard Lager.

I wasn't expecting too much from this one, but I love NBS and being able to use my dimpled mug.
    This is not bad, but it isn't exactly 'good' either... As I state in my review, "it's like listening to a crappy record but hoping it will be better if you turn the volume up a lot." This beer has amped up the flavor on a usually bland style, but it fails in terms of making that flavor really tasty.

Here's my full review:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/579/5328/?ba=AleWatcher

Cheers all! I look forward to sharing a virtual pint with many of you today!

3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

***New American Wild Sunday!!!

Cheers, Matt!

When I got up this morning, it was a frigid -8F, now it's a balmy 0. Apologies to my pending trades, you can see where I'm coming from, eh?

My new beer for today, another brew from Cascade, that left me wanting a bit more but I wasn't really disappointed:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2391/77945/?ba=Bitterbill

And a pic:

[​IMG]

I chose that glass as it's probably the last time the GABF and I will ever meet. Cheers all!

woemad, beertunes, cavedave and 8 others like this.
  4. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

Had Oskar Blues G'Knight on Nitro for the first time(although yesterday) but taking the wife to try it today.

Best Imperial red I've had. So crazy drinkable with little booziness. I know nitro seems to subdue flavors sometimes but it really works with this. Very smooth with little carbonation for this style of beer. I could drink several of these in a sitting.

beertunes, woemad, cavedave and 3 others like this.
  5. AleWatcher

______/----- NEW AMERICAN GOLDEN ALE ----\______

[​IMG]

Sticking with Kona Brewing AND my dimpled mug, I've decided to try Big Wave Golden Ale as my next NBS offering.

So it seems this beer was actually brewed by Redhook in NJ-- it finally got Chicago distribution this month (along with Deschutes and Alesmith!). I tell ya, with all the new options out there, trading seems less and less necessary....

Anyway... I liked this one more than the Lager, but it still isn't one I plan on buying again (except perhaps in the situation where I'm throwing a party and non-craft drinkers will be attending).

This is nicely sweet with honey-touched malts, and very lightly bittered. This is actually a good "intro to craft" style beer to present people-- the flavor is mild yet pleasant, enticing yet accessible. Nice sweetness up front with a little malt and soft fruity bitterness. Light drinkable body with ample fizziness.
    This one is actually worth trying (if you like golden ales!).

Not in the mood for a full review, but here's a link to the beer-- I gave it a 4/5 as a had;
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/579/22592/?show_hads=Y

6. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

7. GRPunk

GRPunk Advocate (600) Michigan Apr 5, 2007

New Made In Michigan, American IPA

Crazy weekend in West MI. Temps in the mid-upper 50s yesterday meant the golf courses were open. A 20 degree drop, and there's this cold rain going on today.

Cruddy weather meant my miles went on the treadmill today. Taking a little quiet time to treat myself to some new Michigan beers.

This is a new brewery to me as well. I'm glad somebody beat me to opening a brewery in Big Rapids. I always felt it was too much a college town to not have a brewery.

So-so beer. Not bad by any means. Wondering if there is still a bit of a learning curve going on.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29076/87948/?ba=GRPunk

8. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I had this for the first time last night. You're right on the money. Not bad, but not particularly good either. I found it pretty watery.

9. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

[​IMG] AMERICAN AMBER / RED ALE [​IMG]

Happy NBS to all...

Fog and clouds here on Long Island with temps in the upper 40's. The wife and I went food shopping earlier. Now we're home and I get to enjoy some playoff football and new beer(s).

1st up is a beer from Flying Fish...

[​IMG]

beertunes, woemad, cavedave and 7 others like this.
  10. JoeyBeerBelly

beertunes, AleWatcher, woemad and 5 others like this.
  11. GRPunk

GRPunk Advocate (600) Michigan Apr 5, 2007

New MI, Session Strength, American Pale Ale

As I said, I'm making time for some new beerS this week, contrary to my normal one and done.

The snow's rolled in. Huge flakes, nothing sticking around (unlike the lacing on this beauty).

Very solid pale ale weighing in at 4.9% ABV from Saugatuck. I'm a huge advocate for flavorful "smaller" beers. If only somebody could figure out how to make it happen AND drop the pricing point in accordance to the lower alcohol, they'd have a lifelong customer.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11814/88994/?ba=GRPunk

Have a wonderful evening, ladies and gentlemen. I'll check in on your new reviews later. GRPunk out!!!

12. FanofHefe

FanofHefe Advocate (625) Illinois Feb 13, 2010

New American Double/Imperial IPA

Greetings NBSers. Cold day in southern IL. Light sleet covered the ground this morning and made it look very wintery. Good day to stay indoors and drink some good beer!

Although the weather would make me want to reach for a stout, I finally picked up some Lagunitas Sucks for a try. Excellent brew!

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/220/74986/?ba=FanofHefe

This seems a little thin for a DIPA, but still is superb.

Cheers!

GRPunk, AleWatcher, match1112 and 4 others like this.
  13. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Savant (460) New Jersey Nov 21, 2011

Howdy from foggy, cloudy and damp Ocean County, NJ. Did it reach 50 degrees today? Maybe. Anyway, the weather held up well enough to dust off the sticks and play some golf...and what do you know, I played well, Yikes!
    Time now for the stuff that counts here at NBS: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24018/74714/?ba=NiceTaps. It made for enjoyable consumption.

Cheers to all NBSers. I'm going to get a fresh beer....

GRPunk, cavedave, beertunes and 4 others like this.
  14. mecummins

New to me. I won't bother to review it since I'm sure you've all tried this before. But I will say that THIS is how a stout should be.
    [​IMG]

15. mattcrill

mattcrill Advocate (720) Ohio Mar 16, 2004

" Please try a NEW beer and post your linked review or a good description of what you sampled so we can share in your wonderful discoveries today. If you have a pic or pics that you want to share of your conquests please feel compelled to post those here as well."

That's the point....on this thread, we don't care about the 5887 other reviews. We want YOUR review =)

Not to mention, someone might not have ever tried it so imagine sitting in a bar and sipping on this beauty and waxing poetically about all it's nuances. Looking forward to your next review.

GRPunk and beertunes like this.
  16. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Savant (460) New Jersey Nov 21, 2011

I agree, my favorite, go-to stout! I would read your review, that's why we're here in NBS.

mecummins and beertunes like this.
  17. garymuchow

garymuchow Champion (760) Minnesota Aug 31, 2001

New Am. IPA Sunday

Greetings all you NBSer's,

After a warm week last week, SCMN is now working through seasonable cold January temps with highs below or near 20. Wish most of the snow hadn't melted last week. It's deceiving looking out the window - looks like March, but feels like January.

Okay, so today I'm staying semi-local (meaning a state MN borders, or occasionally, but not today, one state away from our fair border). All three IL NSBer's should have easy access to this beer with a provacative name referring to the male kind of a very popular game bird in these here parts. And for a further clue, to any Johnny Cash/Grateful Dead NSBer's, it's brewed in a city in which one might go cavortin'.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23052/74423/?ba=garymuchow

Best to all this week.

GRPunk, mattcrill, cavedave and 6 others like this.
  18. woemad

woemad Champion (795) Washington Jun 8, 2003

New Old Bottle of an Imperial Stout

Greetings, fellow NBSers,
    Partly sunny and 23 degrees in snow-covered Spokane. I'm currently reeling from what can only be described as the Seahawks yanking defeat from the jaws of victory. Other than the superbowl, which I always watch, for me, football is now done. As a Sonics fan, as far as I'm concerned there is no NBA, and the Mariners have spent approx $1.50 to fix their woes, so I'm pretty much ready for football to start back up!
    Fortunately, there is good beer to be had all year round, enough for me to forget about bottles I have from time to time. This Impy Stout from Midnight Sun was probably brewed in late 2010, yet it has held up very well while sitting in my coat closet - I mean, cellar:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/385/62647/?ba=woemad

beertunes, GRPunk, garymuchow and 7 others like this.
  19. RJLarse

RJLarse Advocate (720) Washington Dec 30, 2005

>>>>> New American Wit <<<<<<

Still cleaning up after the holidays, this is near the last of the Sam Adams Holiday Sampler. I guess it repplaced the cranberry lambic, and it only slightly better. Not a great wit. I'd rather have a Blue Moon.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/86393/?ba=RJLarse

Got to go thumbs up with Woemad, my day took a serious turn for the worse around 1 PM PST, when the Seahawks let the Falcons off the hook. I need to find something stronger than this wit to drown my sorrows.

Clear and cold here in dryland wheat country. Lows in the mid-teens highs in the mid 20's.

Happy Trails!

20. RJLarse

RJLarse Advocate (720) Washington Dec 30, 2005

>I'm currently reeling from what can only be described as the Seahawks yanking defeat from the jaws of victory.

Yep 'twas a winnable game indeed DAMMIT! The ATL are choke artists, and I'm sure Harbaugh likes his chances.

cavedave and woemad like this.
  21. match1112

22. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,045) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Greetings fellow NBSers! A cold, for us, last few days here in the Fourth Corner, but with the days getting longer, football winding down, NASCAR having preseason testing, and with Spring Training within sight, there is once again hope in the world. I wasn't able to join in last weeks NBS because one of my local breweries had their company holiday party, and I was fortunate enough to work it. I helped with food prep and general set-up, then took tickets at the door. It was a lot of fun to be able to give something back to the staff that treats me so very well over the course of the year.

I've got a bit a theme for NBS this time, it's international day. I'm fortunate to have a lot of friends that travel, and remember to bring me back beer from their journey's. My friend Paige (bar manager at the above mentioned brewery) was kind enough to bring me a sixer of this from her recent trip to Barbados. All I had to do was talk care of her Mastiff/Rottweiller mix. 130 pounds of loving snuggle bunny that guy is. I suspect these would be excellent on a warm beach: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/581/7585/?ba=beertunes. I've got a couple more to report on as well.

23. JoeyBeerBelly

New Beer #3 (my final new beer of the day)...

[​IMG]

GRPunk, AleWatcher, mattcrill and 4 others like this.

24. Good Evening NBS-

A fairly dreary day here in Southern, CT and an all around dreary weekend. The whole fam is sick and I'm stuck studying for some work related exams. Not so much fun.

At least I have a chance to try something new (also a double IPA), but this beer kind of resembled the weather:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23459/61130/?ba=CHADMC3

25. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

New American Adjunct Lager Sunday (week 412)

A foggy day, to say the least, and BA doomXsaloon and I brewed a Pale Ale in the ground cloud as best we could, his first all grain, and with his system we ended up only getting about 60% efficiency. Well, that is how you dial things in, right, next time we should be gold. Enjoyed many beers during the course of the day, but now I am enjoying a beer I never thought I would be able to say 'enjoy' about, as it is an offering from the dreaded BMC. Hope you have a Great American Beer in your glass. Cheers!

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/306/58017/?ba=cavedave

[​IMG]

NiceTaps, GRPunk, AleWatcher and 6 others like this.
  26. beertunes

27. Douberd

Douberd Savant (320) Netherlands Jan 27, 2012

Interesting this thread. First time I post in one of those, so I will start with the weather as almost everyone. Well, it's freezing here in the Netherlands, after a mostly mild December, winter starts showing its teeth again. It's almost 2:00 now but I don't feel like going to bed just yet, so I opened my last bottle of a Leffe Royale 6 pack, partly to make room in my fridge for some new brews.
    It's recently come out and I had it on my to-get list for some time. I can't say I was very satisfied by this one, yes it was nice and tasty, but certainly not something you would call "royale".
    I hope you had better luck with your new beers.
    Cheers![​IMG]

28. beertunes

GRPunk likes this.
  29. JoeyBeerBelly

beertunes likes this.
  30. beertunes

My friend Tom is a mechanic for a pro cycling team. Late last year he was Rwanda for a race (nope, no Rwandian beer for me), and a few weeks ago was in Southern Spain for training camp. Yeah, Southern Spain in December. He's such an asshole. Anyway, he did bring back this one from China last year. The only English word on the can was"Stoutbeer". Yeah China dudes! http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25383/68473/?ba=beertunes

GRPunk, AleWatcher and JoeyBeerBelly like this.
  31. beertunes

I fully believe that both of those brews, consumed in their natural settings, would be absolutely magnificent

JoeyBeerBelly likes this.
  32. AleWatcher

fredmugs and match1112 like this.
  33. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010

Beautiful day in JAX, but 80+ degrees? In January? I know it's Florida, but WTF? Good day for a hoppy ale. I won a bottle of 2011 DFH Squall IPA as a raffle prize at my homebrew club's annual banquet last night! A bit cloying, I suspect I would have liked this one fresher.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10099/49838/?ba=CASK1

match1112, GRPunk and AleWatcher like this.
  34. AleWatcher

Ok... I'm back for round 3 today... Though this one is kind of cheating;

_____/------ NEW (to my distro) PALE ALE \-----______

[​IMG]

Kids are now asleep and in relaxing with a pint and my copy of "A Memory of Light," the 15th and final book from The Wheel of Time series. I'm about 260 pages into the 915 page behemoth, so I won't be finishing it tonight!

I had this one a couple times but never thought much about it. My review from 2010 was a 3.3, which given standard rate of rating deflation means that beer now would have gotten a 2.6 (I have become a much tougher critic as time has passed, especially of styles I love most).
    Today, I'm proud to say that this beer has VASTLY improved its score in my book-- all the way up to a 3.7 (and by today's standards, that's pretty good! It is comparable to a 4.35 from 2010!!).

Anyway, like I said, Deschutes is new to our distro so I felt it was necessary to revisit this one to give it another chance.
    I actually urge you all to revisit some of those beers you had 2 or 3 years ago and give them another shot! It is interesting how our taste evolves.

Here's a link to the full review (new review first, original still in tact and immediately following the new);
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/63/195/?ba=AleWatcher

I might be back for one more after sexy time with my wife...

match1112 and GRPunk like this.
  35. GRPunk and AleWatcher like this.
  36. mecummins

OK. I'm still pretty new here and just didn't want to bore people with a review of something that was already pretty popular. But I'm game if you are! Luckily I took notes for my blog.

Breakfast Stout was just about everything a great stout should be. The beer poured a rich, dark, brown black color with a beige 2 finger head. Just from looking at it I could tell that it was going to be everything people said it would be. The lacing was amazing, clinging to the sides of the pint for the whole drink. I could smell the milk chocolate and coffee right away, with a bit of sweet malt mixed in there as well. As I tasted it, I could differentiate between the creaminess of the milk chocolate and the bitterness of the dark. The coffee flavor worked in balance with both the chocolate and roasted malt. It had a full, lush, creamy mouthfeel. The finish was tricky. At first it seemed medium, tapering off with the dominate flavors, but then it snuck up on you at the very end with the pine hops coming out to play . It was the perfect choice for a cold January night in Chicago.

37. match1112

That is better than any review I've ever done. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and welcome to NBS!

mecummins and beertunes like this.
  38. beertunes

Welcome to NBS mecummins! We just get together and chat on Sundays, and given your capsule review above, I would like to suggest you start adding reviews, you'll do great. BTW, what's your blog addy, give us a link please. So for my next entry, I've got another from a new-ish brewery out in the gorgeous San Juan Islands. I liked this beer a lot, but the numerical score suffered from (what I consider) miscategorization: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30589/89010

GRPunk and AleWatcher like this.
  39. match1112

GRPunk, AleWatcher and beertunes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.