1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Beer Sunday (week 413)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mattcrill, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattcrill

mattcrill Advocate (710) Ohio Mar 16, 2004

Good morning goalies of golden ales and left wingers of lagers! I hope this message finds you doing well and ready for another Sunday full of new brews in your snifters, goblets, and tulip glasses.

Weather in Central OH is pretty typical for January. Can’t complain as all the white stuff has melted but it’s still pretty darn cold.

Hoping to create a new beer today. Getting ready to fire up the brew kettle and make an American Stout. I’ll spare you the details as that is for another forum section.

This is the place to share a virtual new beer with all your BA friends! Please sample a new beer of your choosing and post your musings, thoughts, and banter about the beer. A linked review or a very good description is kindly requested. Pics are always fun and add to the enjoyment so feel free to share.

Thanks for keeping NBS fresh, informative, and fun. Good day and good drinkin’!

Peace, love, and malty-ness,

Matt

2. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (910) New York Aug 25, 2010

High noon (insert Clint Eastwood Western movie sound effect), Long Island, comfortable low 50's with blue skies and new beers...

Couldn't wait on one of my new beer purchases for the weekend, and I have to give it props before I move on: Marooned on Hog Island - an excellent beer (an oyster stout).

But anyway, that was Friday, and this is now:
    [​IMG]
    Whatta great looking label!
    And for the idiots who might strip the flesh from their fingers and then file suit:
    [​IMG]
    lol

Into one of my favorite glasses:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye IPA
    [​IMG]
    Look at that color:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lacing all the way down...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    *burp*

Great games on tap for the afternoon and evening (and a couple more new beers, too ;)) - I'm fairly impartial to the Championship game outcomes, but I imagine a Ravens-Niners/Harbaugh Superbowl would be pretty cool (I'm personally thinking it'll be the Pats and the Niners, tho)...

Swedish metal project Diztord's latest effort in my ears:

Reminds me of the old Linkin Park stuff - that 90's rap/metal fusion stuff (albeit better) - check out any of their videos, and you'll see that these guys (and girls) are having a great time making music videos - it's gotta put a smile on your face...

Hope you're all having a great New Beer Sunday!

Until the next cap pops: Cheers!

3. mattcrill

mattcrill Advocate (710) Ohio Mar 16, 2004

New American IPA Sunday

Revolution Brewing: new to me and I'm not sure why it's taken so long for me to discover them.

Anti-Hero was my first offering from them and based on my experience I'm looking forward to trying more of their portfolio.

Happy NBS to all!

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22072/55862/?ba=mattcrill

malty, CHADMC3, cavedave and 7 others like this.
  4. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

______/------- NEW BELGIAN WHITE -----\_______

[​IMG]

So another Deschutes beer for me to start my NBS... I enjoy trying a large number of different brews from a place within a short period of time-- it helps me get a feel for their style.
    This is probably the most accessible of the Deschutes beers I've tried-- this would certainly have mass appeal among BMC drinkers.... And to be fair, it has a vibe that makes me think it would be quite refreshing in the summer.

Here's a link to the full review:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/63/68942/?ba=AleWatcher

With no plans to go anywhere in this 12 degree cold spell here in Northcentral IL, I decided to attempt to make some sizzling rice soup... It is a favorite of mine (and of my wife, I suppose), so I figured I'd just look up a recipe and give it a go.
    The rice needs to bake, but everything else is ready.
    Here's what the soup looks like now-
    [​IMG]

CHADMC3, cavedave, mattcrill and 7 others like this.
  5. woemad

woemad Champion (795) Washington Jun 8, 2003

NEW IMPERIAL STOUT SUNDAY​
    21 degrees in downtown Spokane, with snow from around 10 days ago still on the ground. Am only just now recovering from a Friday night show at Jones Radiator that featured me drinking WAY too much beer and suffering through a dreadful Saturday. I'm also still suffering from a football hangover, as I'm just not getting into the games today (though I'm sorta hoping for a Harbaugh Bowl where the two hyper-competitive Bros go off the deep end and duke it out at halftime) after last week's last minute 'hawks defensive collapse (Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way to Jacksonville, Gus...).​
    Finally got my hands on some Narwhal on Friday, and just had my first one:​
    I wouldn't call it fantastic, but it's still very good. Can't believe how hidden the alcohol content is!​

CHADMC3, beertunes, cavedave and 7 others like this.
  6. garymuchow

garymuchow Champion (760) Minnesota Aug 31, 2001

New Old Ale Sunday

Hey Greetings NBSer's,

Cold, cold, cold here in SCMN. High of a couple degrees above 0 for today and won't make it past 0 tomorrow. Sunny and beautiful- enough sun for a big ol' sun dog, but minimal snow is a drag, although my eyes might like the lack of extra glare a little.
    For the old timers - songs that come to my mind today - Cold Rain and Snow (Grateful Dead) and Cold, Cold, Cold (Little Feat).
    Nothing local today, I'm going for a weather appropriate drink from Colorado with a name to fit the season - although I'll be out and about today and there is a cross-country skier on the label.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/158/1446/?ba=garymuchow
    Now that's a pretty fine drink.
    Best to all this week.

CHADMC3, cavedave, AleWatcher and 7 others like this.
  7. woemad

woemad Champion (795) Washington Jun 8, 2003

I gotta give that one another try. I had a bottle of it several years ago that, looking back, had to have had something wrong with it.

8. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Savant (460) New Jersey Nov 21, 2011

Greetings from the state that we recognize by just its last name: JERSEY! Warm sunshine and 55 degrees with a stiff breeze here in Ocean County today, January 20.
    Today's new brew comes out of San Francisco: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/735/20781/?ba=NiceTaps.
    No surprise considering that I dig that San Fran music scene ( cue avatar), the beer scene measures up.

Cheers to all!

cavedave, GRPunk, garymuchow and 4 others like this.
  9. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

Good afternoon all!

I would like to wish our host, mattcrill, luck with his brewing experience today. I can also backup what AleWatcher said, it's friggin cold here. I have no plans on leaving the house, other than to let the dog out as needed.

This isn't my first beer of the day, but it is my first new one. Hope everyone has a safe warm Sunday Funday!

[​IMG]
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25053/72890/?ba=match1112

Cheers!

CHADMC3, cavedave, Douberd and 7 others like this.
  10. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

[​IMG] AMERICAN IPA [​IMG]

Happy NBS to all...

Sunny and windy on Long Island with temps in the upper 40's today but those winds are bringing frigid temps for the rest of the week.

I did my monthly Sunday OT day at work today. I stopped at the beer store on the way home for some Lukcy Basartd and ended up getting some other beers as well including this one from Two Brothers Brewing...

[​IMG]

CHADMC3, beertunes, cavedave and 9 others like this.
  11. garymuchow

garymuchow Champion (760) Minnesota Aug 31, 2001

Out of SF but probably brewed in good ol' MN ;)

12. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

_____-------/ NEW IMPERIAL STOUT-----\_______

[​IMG]

Just cuz...
    [​IMG]

And just to show that greywolf Isn't the only person able to take multiple pics:
    [​IMG]

;)
    I recently had the regular version and was less than impressed... Now I decided to crack open the Coffee Break Abduction from Pipeworks....
    Lots of bitter cocoa, some sweet malt, big roasty notes, and coffee. The beer is MUCH better than the regular version. The body has thinned out from the non-coffee version, and the coffee adds a great element to the flavor profile.

This is quite enjoyable. It is no where near a BCS Coffee, but what is?!
    Here's the full review:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28178/88608/?ba=AleWatcher

mattcrill, CHADMC3, cavedave and 4 others like this.
  13. JoeyBeerBelly

[​IMG] AMERICAN DOUBLE / IMPERIAL IPA [​IMG]

My 2nd new beer comes from Jersey!...

[​IMG]

GRPunk, beertunes, AleWatcher and 4 others like this.
  14. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Savant (460) New Jersey Nov 21, 2011

Why doesn't that surprise me? And it's ok by me as well. I wonder if the beer goes directly to NJ from MN or does it head west first???:);) There's a lot of farming out around here as well, much by facilities in PA. A catchy name and a P.O. box and we're on the way to a new crafter!!!

EDIT: "Good ol' MN"....home of The Replacements. Can we have a moment, please?:cool:

15. match1112

16. Douberd

Douberd Savant (320) Netherlands Jan 27, 2012

Ahh, finally, I was looking forward for this thread as I plan to be a regular.
    I made an inventory of my "cellar" a couple of days ago and the results are that I am sitting on too much beer. I had at that moment more than 80 different beers so I decided to use my four days off work, to try and reduce that number. My plan was to drink 5-6 per day but my "other half" needed some time together watching movies etc, so the reducing part didn't work that well. Especially since next day after counting how many beers need drinking I have, I went and ordered eight more bottles, pick up is due tomorrow.

Now as far as the new beer is concerned, this would be a Ter Dolen Tripel. Nice brew, with an impressive appearance. Huge thick head, nice deep orange colour, lots of lace around the glass. Very tasty too.
    [​IMG]

It's only almost midnight here so there is still time for another couple new beers. Cheers to all!

garymuchow, CHADMC3, GRPunk and 4 others like this.
  17. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

New American Brown Ale Sunday (week 413)

Ah, the joys of a Great American beer in your glass, on a beautiful Sunday of warm and coolnotcold weather. Got our Bourbon and Oak Barleywine into bottles, and gotta say it is tasting really well.

Even better is this Smuttynose beer I am so glad to have found reasonably priced and close to home. Get this one if you see it folks, this one is just delicious. Glass 4 right now, this growler ain't long for this world. Hope you also have a Great American Beer in your glass. Cheers.

Durty

[​IMG]

18. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Champion (755) Ohio Jul 4, 2005

19. Hello again. Happy Sunday! It's warm (60ish) and sunny here in the NC foothills and I picked up quite a few new (to me) single 12oz beers to try this week.

Going with the Mad River Steelhead DIPA. Caught a single for 2.49$ with no date whatsoever. Cool, stubby bottle, with hardly anything on it.. I just love the trout. Unfortunately, it says nothing about being unfiltered and I didn't look it up before trying (I like going in with no expectations good or bad). So I poured it harder than I would normally into a pint glass. Only one finger very white head with hardly any lacing. Cloudy and yeast everywhere with nice bubbles rising from underneath. Looks tasty. 4.5ish.

Smells very sweet. Afraid I picked up an old bottle until I read more about it. Malt bomb, it is, with some piney hops and no alcohol for the abv. 4.

Tastes amazingly good. Nothing like I was expecting but in a different and good way. It kind of makes me think of a Yorkshire Stingo with a splash of Ruination in it. 4.5

Overall, a very good beer on the outer edge of the style, but I like that. Almost def will get the whole 6 pack this week at the store. I love that you can buy many singles to find the ones worth revisiting. This beer as an easy A-. Happy football! Go G-men!! Wait.. Damn.

20. I loved this beer! Best Crooked Line I've had yet.

21. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I was brewing here in Chicago too! It's cold, but since I have a Baby Q set up on my back porch, I'm grilling for the family tonight.

Today I opened a Dueschutes Black Butte Porter. We just started getting these in Chicago and I'm always up for trying a new porter or stout. A nice guy at a local grocery store opened a pack do I could mix 2 in to my make you own sixer.

It pours a dark brown, cola color with a generous 2 finger tan head. Really great lacing clinging to the sides of the glass. I can smell milk chocolate and coffee without even trying. A bit of caramel and roasted hops too. The taste was a bit of a let down. I was expecting "WOW" and just got "Eh". The chocolate flavor was present, but tasted sort of artificial to me. The coffee was there also, but not that freshly griund flavor that you would find in FBS, Revolution's Eugene or in Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgereld. The mouthfeel was lighter than I had hoped. It looked so creamy, but felt a bit watery, with a short finish. It's not a bad beer by any means. But with so many other options, I'm glad I only bought the 2 of them.
    [​IMG]

22. nice glass! I used to go to Cumbies once a week. Dont go as much anymore but still love a bison burger and a nitro porter when I do.

bluejacket74 likes this.
  23. bluejacket74

It's been a while since I've been there (since I live about 4 hours away), but a bison burger and their excellent nitro porter sounds pretty good right now!

24. bluejacket74

The only ones I've tried have been that and the Labyrinth, and they were both good. And now that I can get Uinta in Ohio, I'm sure I'll be trying more soon!

25. Douberd

Douberd Savant (320) Netherlands Jan 27, 2012

Here I am again with the second new beer for tonight. It's a Christoffel Blond, or Bier as it's written on the label, and it's just amazing. Probably the most bitter pilsner I have ever drunk, to the point that I think it shouldn't be on the pilsner category. 6% ABV, unpasteurized, unfiltered and with twice the hops.

[​IMG]

26. bluejacket74

27. RJLarse

RJLarse Advocate (720) Washington Dec 30, 2005

>>>>>> New American Stout Sunday <<<<<<

Checking in with an oatmeal stout from Alaskan Brewing.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/429/1305/?ba=RJLarse

A serviceable stout and I get it for a great price, under $6.50. I'll have it again.

@mattcrill brew day at my house as well. I missed most of the 2nd half of the ATL-SF game brewing a pale ale in anticipation of spring.

Spring feels like a long way off right now. Haven't been above freezing for a couple of weeks, and the frost never melted off the trees today. Cold, cloudy and now foggy says it from here.

Happy Trails!

28. Greywulfken

Okay, so coupla things:

First, how sad is it, that as a guy who grew up with no internet, no home computers, no cell phones, no microwave ovens, and no cable TV that I'm losing my mind this afternoon when my internet adapter craps out and I can't go online? Whatta loser I've become. Holy crap.

Second, the only folks worse off than that (me) are Atlanta Falcons' fans - that's gotta suck, huh? Whew. Roddy White, Julio Jones, Tony Gonzalez, and a QB that (almost) never loses at home, but you keep falling short of the big game? Damn. My condolences, folks.

And, I guess, a third item: shouldn't have put all my energy into the Ruthless Rye - once I got a new adapter (picked up a new router while I was at it), I finally got to my second new beer:

Sierra Nevada's Northern Hemisphere Harvest Ale
    [​IMG]
    Wow. Soooo gooood. I just inhaled the pint-and-change bottle. Waaaay better than the Rye (for my tastes, that is)...
    Again, great looking beer:
    [​IMG]
    Dense head with great retention:
    [​IMG]
    Mmmm. Boy, if I had another, I think I'd drink it in a heartbeat, too. As I said in my review, this is a seasonal must-have.
    [​IMG]
    I didn't pay much mind to Sierra Nevada when I first got into the craft beer scene, but I've gotta say, these guys are top-notch. Can't wait to get my hands on a Narwhal.

Later, if its not too late: Avery's Uncle Jacob's stout - a true finisher (some crazy double-digit abv, like 16%+ or something?).

Alright, back to the Pats-Ravens.

Cheers!

29. *** New Winter Ale Sunday ***

Greetings to an action packed NBS,

Tons of good beer being enjoyed today and some stuff I am going to have to watch for.

A mildly sunny day with mid 40's temps in Southern CT today. Most of the day was spent taking care of some work prep and chores. My wife made some great Maine corn chowder for dinner which prompted me to crack this Bestefar to enjoy with a fire and football.

Tis beer was fantastic. I a becoming a big fan of Haandbrygert.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/15711/63901/?ba=CHADMC3

30. match1112

31. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

[​IMG]

My first NBS on my first Sunday as a registered BA

Release #7(1800 bottles) in this Exponential series from Epic Brewing. A fantasic stout! A heavy roasted character to it with the trademark chocolate and coffee that balances very well!

GRPunk, CHADMC3, garymuchow and 2 others like this.
  32. sommersb

sommersb Advocate (580) Tennessee May 25, 2010

=== New ESB Sunday ===

Beautiful clear and chilly weather in Nashville today. I got to have a nice walk outside this afternoon ^_^

Pulled out this gem I picked up in Charlotte to taste while dinner was cooking - very pleased with it
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/779/4687/?ba=sommersb

[​IMG]

33. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

[​IMG]

This bottle has been sitting on the shelf of this shop for at least a year. They were finally down to their last bottle, so I picked it up. $11.99 for one-litter swingtop half growler. Not too bad, since I can re-use the growler.

A: Black with two finger mocha head. Good lacing.

S: I can't really smell much after I pour it into my snifter but when I first opened the bottle I got lots of chocolate, coffee, molasses.

T: It's tasting great! Dark chocolate, molasses, brown sugar, roasty malt. Small hop bite but not much.

M: It's not bad but it's a tad bit thin. Good amount of carbonation.

O: Very very good classic Imperial stout. Smooth, relatively easy drinking.

34. GRPunk

GRPunk Advocate (575) Michigan Apr 5, 2007

New Amber Ale Sunday (Made in Michigan Edition)

Late addition here.

Cold, cold, cold in West MI, and windy. Light dusting of snow. Calling for Lake Effect storms tonight, but I'm not buying it.

Stayed inside today. Treadmill miles at the Y, got a haircut, and went into work for a while. I feel today's beer was earned.

I tried to visit this Up North brewery this summer to find Right Brain had closed during their transition to a new site. Glad they're bottling.

This is a tasty brew. Everything I'd had from them previously has been something I'd call experimental (additions of mint, fruit, chocolate, etc) during festivals. They did some good things here while sticking to guidelines.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16503/89240/?ba=GRPunk

35. Greywulfken

My last bit of new beer advocacy for the day...

Glad to say this was the best beer of the day, too - what a treat - have y'all had this?
    [​IMG]
    Avery's Uncle Jacob's Stout

Leapt into my top 10 Imperial stouts easily - it's sitting right under the Speedway Stout for me at the moment, but I'm thinking I'm gonna have to get another Speedway Stout soon just to to make sure this isn't, dare I say, slightly better...? o_O

Fantastic finisher for the day in any event.

May your new beers be delightful, your internet connected, and your loved ones well - have a great night, all!

GRPunk, match1112 and JoeyBeerBelly like this.
  36. JoeyBeerBelly

GRPunk and match1112 like this.
  37. I must revisit this from yesterday. I did, in fact, pick up a 6 pack today I enjoyed it so much. But it's a completely different beer. It's hoppy, smooth, and good as hell. But nothing like I described yesterday. It does not seem to be unfiltered. I must have gotten an old bottle. There are no dates on the box or bottles which will lead to me not buying this again. In the IPA world, age counts too much to drop 12.99 on a six pack when you don't know what lies ahead. Good beer both times, but disappointed in the breweries practice.

38. malty

malty Savant (415) Michigan Dec 16, 2003

I visited there on my way AND back from The Great Taste of the Midwest (best beer fest in da USA) last August. Their Anti-Hero was exquisite and the Wit was so delish!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.