1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Beer Sunday (week 415)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by malty, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malty

malty Savant (415) Michigan Dec 16, 2003

Good morning Super Beer Sunday swashbucklers,

How the heck has everybody been?! I want to say, first of all, it's awesome to be back! Mattcrill and I usually split the hosting duties pretty evenly, but I got busy/lazy and knew I could (and still can) depend on him to hoist the NBS flag every Sunday.

Mid-MI has been enjoying some fluffy white powder the past few days, with temps averaging in the low-20s. We did receive an inch of rain early in the week which made some beautiful puddles in my beer cellar. Nothing like a musty, dank beer cave. And to make things even more dank, the quick swing of temps (56F to now 20F) has left me with with a bitch of a head cold. Might have to break out the strong stuff to cut through my crud.

There's a new brewery that opened near Founders territory last fall that is def making some terrifically clean, balanced and straight forward beers; Perrin Brewing in Comstock,MI. I've been there 3 times since their early fall opening, and I must say I've been very impressed. Put it this way, I've never been a huge brown ale fan with all of the more vibrant, exciting styles that are out now. But...when I tried theirs in a sampler flight, I couldn't believe how incredibly soft, rich and layered (but not very sweet or one dimensional) it was. I even bought 2 growlers to go! Not to mention their Strong Pale was so crisp and vibrant, blowing most IPAs out of the worter. I'll stop with the accolades, but I can't wait to check out their heartier beers this month.

I'm certain most of you good people have feasts and parties planned today, and I'm guessing some special beers might be shared. If any of you wishes to share your new beer experiences (after you've drunk it) with us, please feel free and post your colorful commentary, and hopefully the link to your new beer's formal review. If you don't formally review your brews, just let us have a tidy summary of your new beer's attributes. PLEASE, this isn't the 'What beer are you drinking now?' thread. This geeky thread is for new beer and those who wish to share their new beer experience with (hopefully) a link to its formal review and/or some good descriptions of the beers highlights and characteristics.

Thanks as always for your cheerful participation, thus keeping NBS fresh, fun and informative. Good day and good drinkin'!

In the undying spirit of good beer,

malty

2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

***New Pale Lager Sunday!!!

Howdy to the master maltster!

My first new brew for today...an actual local local, Wyoming State Brewing Paleface Lager. I had a glass of it yesterday then bought a Growler. I just finished reviewing it:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13448/89672/?ba=Bitterbill

Short and to the point. The point being, a Pale Lager is no easy task to brew and WSB did good.

3. A joyous new brew Super Bowl Sunday to ye one and all! Today I shall be pouring a 3beans over a resin for some kind of really alcoholic six point Black and Tan abomination of an experiment. Cheers, and go celtics!

4. I hope this counts, even though I drank it last night, and sorry for no picture. I guess I could post a pic of my empty and stained Bell's pint glass. Anyway this is also my first New Beer Sunday post!

On Friday, Sams Quick Shop in Durham had a Bell's Tap Takeover event, featuring:
    This One Goes to 11
    Harry Magills Spiced Stout
    Sweet Potato Stout
    Roundhouse IRA
    and Bourbon Barrel Batch 9000.

So I didn't go on Friday, and of course the Batch 9000 was the first keg to kick. Thankfully, the guys there had a growler saved from the night before when I went in last night. I was really happy and thankful for the hookup, because that growler was for the employees to share.

In short, Batch 9000 was GD Amazing.
    In long, holy crap, it made me forget that I even wanted Hopslam (that is still unavailable in North Carolina)(the distributor has had it in their warehouse for 2 weeks now, and they're just effing sitting on it. bastards)

As the name implies, Bourbon Barrel Batch 9000 has a great bourbon aroma and taste. Perfectly balanced, it doesn't taste like its 14.9% ABV. It was so smooth with a really easy finish. Each sip was pure bliss. I wish I had my own growler of it. Its also the only beer on my "Hads" list to receive a Perfect 5. Even the 2006 Dark Lord someone shared with me last week didn't get a 5

cavedave and GRPunk like this.
  5. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (910) New York Aug 25, 2010

malty had me thinking about drinking real early today - but I held off til 10:30 - lol...

Good times, my brothers and sisters, as I have struck gold!
    On a cold and gray February morning on the island long, off the coast of the new (and improved?) York, snow has gifted the land o'er night...
    [​IMG]
    I find myself indulging in my latest guilty pleasure (no, not that :p - lol)...

Therion, live, featuring the epic Lori Lewis and Thomas Vikstrom on vocals...

I saved this for today:
    [​IMG]
    Allagash has been win-win for me thus far, and their Four was no exception...
    Couldn't capture the pour - it was a two-handed operation - but here is the result:
    [​IMG]
    Holy cow. As noted in my review, I found a lot of qualities more typical (in my experience) of a strong English ale or old ale or barleywine. Categorizations aside, this was a magnificent beer, on par with (but very different from) their Curieux. Sooo glad I opted to pick this baby up.
    Color:
    [​IMG]
    Lacing was modest:
    [​IMG]

Their website...
    [​IMG]
    ...recommended a pairing with bacon-wrapped scallops, and whaaaaat?
    Yep, you guessed it:
    [​IMG]
    Hey, if I had a dime for every time I had bacon-wrapped scallops on-hand...,

...I'd only have a few dimes... lol

Look, if the beer matches the food, then the pairing is good:
    [​IMG]

Later today, I'm hoping for a quadruple (heh-heh) overtime Superbowl ending in a mutual forfeit with no winners and injuries to key players on both teams that impact their seasons next year... oh, alright, that last part was mean-spirited...

*redacts comments* ;)

Here's to a splendid New Beer Sunday: Superbowl Edition!
    [​IMG]

6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

7. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

Happy Sunday Funday all!

After missing last week due to a slipped disk in my lower back I'm back and feeling good as new again.The temps have fallen off a cliff around here the past couple of days or so but now the sun is peeking out and temps are back on the rise, warm enough to snow now. Anyway, hope everyone is doing well and as usual Greywulfken makes me feel inadequate about my contributions:(. Have to give a shout out to Ungertaker for my first beer from Indeed Brewing Co.!
    [​IMG]
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29223/84344/?ba=match1112

CHEERS!

8. Greywulfken

lol - dude, I have soooo much time on my hands, you have no idea...:D

Glad you're "back" (ugh, dammit - couldn't help myself) on your feet...

9. GRPunk

GRPunk Advocate (600) Michigan Apr 5, 2007

New Michigan Made Bock

Another snowy day in West MI. Wind and snow made for a shortened work week and a ton of snow blowing.

Things are pretty quite before we host a small gathering for the game tonight. Tried a new recipe for eggs in coccettes this morning, caught the Liverpool-Man City game with a friend, made a beer run, and came home to an empty house. Perfect time to slip in a review.

A solid offering from Frankenmuth this week. It may have suffered from heightened expectations when I saw it on the shelf. Good all the same...

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4861/64010/?ba=GRPunk

10. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Savant (460) New Jersey Nov 21, 2011

***** Happy New HOPSLAM Sunday *****

Greetings to the NBS crew!

That's right, my very first Hopslam today! I worked some friendly contacts to shuttle a case of this fine brew my way just yesterday. The fee to get it to Ocean County, NJ from Shangy's in PA? A mere two bottles from the case. Beer pals are the best pals!
    I am thoroughly enjoying this beer, as well as the opportunity to get it. My review came in a bit below the average rating and that's ok. I drink and review the beer, not the hype, not the buzz.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/17112/?ba=NiceTaps

Cheers, all!

11. Greywulfken

New Beer Superbowl Sunday continues!

Sucks! Yes, my first one...
    [​IMG]
    I'll probably get some disagreement with this, but I thought it was merely "good" - I think this is one of those beers with a lot of hype - I'm sure people just like that its called Sucks, y'know?

The snow's melting a bit (*sighs*) - yes, I love the snow and cold...
    [​IMG]
    Great lacing...
    [​IMG]
    Oh, yeah, the beer, too... ;)
    [​IMG]
    Mostly crappy pre-game nonsense on the tube, offset somewhat by Clay Matthews (and the ubiquitous Rachel Ray :rolleyes:) - and yes, I'm covering Boomer with the beer (*raspberry*)
    [​IMG]
    So far, a fun day - did a little work, addled somewhat by the Allagash Four, but who cares? Its Superbowl Sunday, which should be followed by a Superbowl Monday, a national holiday on which no one should have to go to work!
    Boycott work tomorrow! Are ya with me!?

Bah. I'm a wuss. Gonna get up at 5 for work whether I like it or not (*really long raspberry*).

Alrighty then, new beer fans - that does it for me (new beer-wise, at least) - hope y'all enjoy the game and the day, whatever your plans may be...

Cheers!

12. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

New Belgian Strong Pale Sunday (week 415)

Hello NBS'ers, a beautiful and cold day here on the ridge in MidHudVal, NY. Had to work early this morning breaking down an event, did some electrical work adding a new light to the kitchen ceiling, all while enjoying Great American Beer. Until now. Just a delicious Belgian genius brew, found in the near territories of my cellar's badlands.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/201/817/?ba=cavedave

[​IMG]

13. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

NBS [​IMG] CDXV

Happy NBS and SBS to all...

A light snow coated Long Island last night but temps a bit above freezing quickly melted it away today.

I grilled up a couple of racks of ribs for the "Big Game" and ended up eating half a rack.

Oh well, there's still plenty. I washed the ribs down with this beer...

[​IMG]

Bitterbill, cavedave, CHADMC3 and 6 others like this.
  14. Smoked BBQ ribs, finger sandwiches, hot chile glazed wings , popcorn and bells Hopslam, troegs nugget nectar and Nebraska black betty, cheers!

15. mattcrill

mattcrill Advocate (720) Ohio Mar 16, 2004

Re-review but totally different American IPA Sunday
    Greetings NBS brethren! Been banging out an International Business paper since 9am so I'm ready for a cold one.

I totally forgot that I had this back in August when I picked it up today. I'm glad I did b/c I went to review it and I must have had a bad can back in August. This was a really nice beer. I'm only assuming the original was old.

This is a totally different beer so I'm approaching it as such.

Re-reviewed, cut, and pasted below:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/689/49814/?ba=mattcrill

Wish me luck on my paper!

Peace, love, and malty-ness,

Matt

Bitterbill, cavedave, GRPunk and 4 others like this.
  16. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

Enjoying my 2nd and probably final new beer today (I have 10 bottles of Nugget Nectar for the game)...

[​IMG]
    Enjoy the Game & Cheers!
    [​IMG]

Bitterbill, cavedave, GRPunk and 3 others like this.
  17. garymuchow

garymuchow Champion (760) Minnesota Aug 31, 2001

New Doppelbock Sunday

Super Bowl Sunday Greetings to all you NBSer's out there in TV land,
    Kinda' standard mid winter day in SCMN. High in the teens. Some light fluffy snow pending after an inch last last of the same. At least it is white around here again. It's just not right otherwise. The cardinals will start singing now in the morning sun and the hope for spring shows as some trees start to show some very early buds. Woo Hoo! But there is a lot of winter left in the old man and I'm sure he'll show his ugly face again before too long.

Normally Super Bowl Sunday is a new Belgian day for me, but there none in my cellar ready to go this year, so I'm going Germany and doppelbock.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/66/46999/?ba=garymuchow
    A solid example.
    I don't care who wins, just hoping for a good game and entertaining commercials.
    Best to all this week.

18. Greywulfken

Hey, I had another new beer after all - game is coming up soon, and so is some filet mignon with biscuits - and I figured, what the hell - I'll try this Allagash Tripel while I'm waiting:
    [​IMG]
    I was a little underwhelmed. I love tripels (Westmalle and Karmeliet are my standard-bearers), and Allagash has two amazing beers to their credit (Four (from earlier today) and Curieux (not surprisingly, a tripel as well, albeit barrel aged)), so maybe I'm a harsh critic?
    [​IMG]
    Allagash Tripel
    [​IMG]
    Rather slim head - and it got a confident center-pour - little retention and minimal lacing...
    [​IMG]
    For some reason, the taste reminded me of (*brace yourself*) a Luden's honey-lemon cough drop, which was unfortunate - and once I got that in my head, I couldn't shake it loose.

The bottle was a freebie from my local beer shop, so I can't complain, but unless I get another freebie, I doubt I'd return to it - not with Westmalles, Karmeliets, and even the much pricier Curieux all readily available for purchase.

Alright, that definitely wraps me up for this New Beer Superbowl Sunday. Perfect timing, too...:)

Peace!

Bitterbill, cavedave, GRPunk and 2 others like this.
  19. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,045) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Greetings Fellow NBSers! A rainy, 50-ish day here in the Fourth Corner. Apparently there is some game on today, but I'm sitting in bar without a TV, so I don't know for sure. All I know for sure is that tomorrow is Truck Day for our local AAAA baseball team, the Seattle Mariners. Truck Day is the day the equipment truck leaves for spring training, so there is hope on the horizon. As I've got a small cold, this may be my only entry today, and it was a bit of a surprise that I hadn't gotten to it before,, as it's from one of my favorite, under-the-radar local/regional breweries, Anacortes Brewing: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1066/3194/?ba=beertunes . A very fine example of the style.

20. RJLarse

RJLarse Advocate (720) Washington Dec 30, 2005

>>>>> New Double Red Ale Sunday <<<<<

I'm having Kingpin Double Red Ale in honor of the red jerseys worn by the 49ers.

A good brew. I'm not much on the style, but I'm going to stash a couple bottles of this for a sunny spring day.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/43/64798/?ba=RJLarse

Yesterday was glorious here in the Columbia Basin, clear blue skies and sun shine. Today, not so much. We never burned off the fog so it was a gray day start to finish.

Go 'Niners and Happy Trails!

Bitterbill, cavedave, GRPunk and 3 others like this.
  21. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,045) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Bitterbill, cavedave, GRPunk and 2 others like this.
  22. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Super Bowl Sunday with my brothers & their families. I brought us some New Glarus Winter Warmers just so I could post it here. Didn 't want to miss new beer Sunday .

It pours a light amber color with a 1 finger head. Smells heavily of the Scotch note. A little mealtimes there too and maybe some citrus fruit. It tastes basically the same as it tastes. Heavy on the scotch note with a sort of medicinal feel to it. There's a bit of citrus to it. The malt comes out as it warms a bit. Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation . Short to medium finish with the bitterness lingering slightly. Overall it wasn't 't bad, but it is not something I'd drink again . It really needed a better balance .

[​IMG]

23. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

madame rose.
    I'm here to admit I can't do it. :oops: This coffee stout lover cannot drink a sour beer. Even with cherries. Even when it's highly rated.
    bleh.
    ok, back to the chocolatey bourbony stuff I'm meant to drink.

24. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I've yet to find a sour I like yet either.

loafinaround likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.