1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Beer Sunday (week 417)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by malty, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malty

malty Savant (415) Michigan Dec 16, 2003

Good morning good beer champions,

Mid-MI is starting off at 9F with ice blue sky. I'm sure that will turn to clouds, (80% of the time it does) and hit maybe 25F. Nothing exciting, but at least I'm looking at sunshine right now.

Thanks for everyone's participation last Sunday as we celebrated our 8th year of NBS. I was unable to clearly breathe because my stubborn head cold crept back in, thoroughly pissing me off. Today I've got to rep my company's booth at a local bridal show basically all day, then it's off to my father-in-law's birthday party. Doesn't look like I'll be formally reviewing my brand new Short's Goodnight Bodacious or Sam Adam's IPL I bought a few days ago :( I did, however enjoy a fresh Arbor Brewing Mr. Delicious DIPA and a 2011 Goose Island Lolita at Crunchy's (legendary MSU bar, turned craft beer haven) this past Friday night. Even had an ever-so-smooth and chewy Ayinger Celebrator. Got my hops, Belgian funk and hearty malt all in one fantastic sitting. Thanks Kirby, (our fantastic bar maiden). Also, thanks to the GM, Mike, for the VanDer Mill Totally Roasted cider taste!

What new brews are ya'll drinking for Michael Jordan's 50th b-day today? Maybe a Chicago-based Piece, Goose, Revolution, Half Acre...? What cool new stuff just hit your market? Short's Aorta Dbl. Red Ale just hit here - very tasty at that. Wait, that should have been my Valentine's Day ale, now that I just made the connection. Speaking of Valentine's Day, did anyone get some great beer from their sweetie? I got a bottle of Woodford bourbon and some crab legs/NY strip.

Grab a new beer and share your experiences (after you've drunk it) with us today. Please give us some colorful commentary of your experience/s with your new beer/s today, AFTER you've drunk it/them. I kinda don't care if you're thinking about opening a bottle of so-and-so, or maybe going out with a friend to what-and-where. We only wanna hear about all that AFTER you've done it - AND it included a NEW BEER. Drink your new beer, THEN holla back, ya hurr me mayne? Good day and good drinkin'!

In the undying spirit of crafty craft craft beer,

maltismo

woemad, mecummins, beertunes and 6 others like this.
  2. I had a Short's Pandemonium Pale Ale last night. They do not distribute to MA, but brought some in because they would be in the area for EBF. I'm not a huge hop head and just got over a cold myself. This was a nice copper color with a decent head and good lacing. The aroma was nice, not very hoppy. Nice, smooth body, full flavor and earthy tones. I really enjoyed this, and as a one time distribution, it was a nice treat.

woemad likes this.
  3. [​IMG]

Captain Lawerence is brewed one state over in New York but it just started really sh owing up in NJ the last couple of weeks.
    This DIPA is great. Lots of grapefruit pineapple and pine.
    It's $3.99 for a pint bottle so I will be getting this often.
    One downside, the bottles arent dated. The cases were so I knew it was fresh.

4. [​IMG]

Kane Head High IPA.

FINALLY got to try this. Got a growler of it. REALLY enjoying it. So floral and grapefruity. Not overly bitter, very sessionable. Beats Flower Power for me, and i love FP. If you are around in NJ, head over to the brewery or find this on tap somewhere. I hope they bottle soon!

I now need to try their Overhead!!!

5. garymuchow

garymuchow Champion (760) Minnesota Aug 31, 2001

New RIS Sunday

Greeting all you NBSer's out there,

Here in SCMN we are kinda' in our winter doldrums (can you have dog days of winter?). Semi-cloudy and seasonable cold. Snow not melting much and the snow lovers are getting in their last digs before the unpredictable weather of March arrives (which, let it be know, is not the start of spring in these here parts. March is just another month of winter).

Anyway...I'm breaking my tradition of lighter and smaller early afternoon beers for NBS and I'm hitting the top 50 of Beers of Fame (#22 I believe). With a trip to Sconnie I was able to get a couple of beers in that category.
    This canned beer deserves all the attention it gets and it's a relative value too. Yum, yum, yum.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28907/34483/?ba=garymuchow

Well I've either finished the weekend on a high note or started the next one in grand fashion. Either way the best to all you NBSer's this coming week.

6. DIM

DIM Advocate (735) Pennsylvania Sep 28, 2006

NEW BARLEYWINE SUNDAY

Hi everyone it's been a long time. It's a cold blustery day here in south central Pennsylvania and my wife and I are enjoying 1 of our few remaining quiet Sundays. She's due April second. I decided I needed something warming today, so I opened a new barleywine.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/402/24395/?ba=DIM

Cheers everyone have a great day!

7. jwc215

jwc215 Advocate (710) Wisconsin Dec 6, 2005

Almost grabbed that one today - I will next time...Grabbed a Sam Adams variety pack instead. I'll be back shortly with a review from it.

8. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

New American Berliner Weissebier Sunday (week 417)

Greetings NBS'ers, crisp and cold day here on the ridge in Mid Hud Val NY. Went bowling with the kids earlier, and now have cracked this growler refilled y'day at Peekskill Brewery which has been knocking them out of the park since Jeff O'Neil took over as brewmaster. Sorry for the folks in Ithaca, but their loss is our gain, and we are so thankful to have him and Benz here. This one is his second attempt at this style, with some brett this time, it's refreshing and delicious. Hope you too have a Great American Beer in your glass. Cheers!

Simple Sour

[​IMG]

woemad, beertunes, match1112 and 6 others like this.
  9. jwc215

jwc215 Advocate (710) Wisconsin Dec 6, 2005

New Double IPA Sunday!

Hello all!

Cold, sunny day here in New Jersey. Wind is more bitter than the Double IPA I just had. Still, it's not a bad brew...Going to grab a second when I'm finished writing this. It's from Sam Adams - it's the THIRD VOYAGE DOUBLE IPA. Not "best of style" in my book, but nice enough to enjoy! (It came in a worthy variety pack.)

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/74548/?ba=jwc215

Cheers!

Joe

match1112, cavedave, NiceTaps and 5 others like this.
  10. GRPunk

GRPunk Advocate (600) Michigan Apr 5, 2007

New Michigan-made American Stout

Sunny day in West MI. If not for the snow and cold temps, I'd call it spring-like.

Got an early start to the day. Enjoying some quiet time with a fine brew from Right Brain. This experimental concoction really works for me.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16503/77222/?ba=GRPunk

I really hope this picture works. I wasted a ton of time trying to figure out how to do this from a mobile device.

[​IMG]

11. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

[​IMG] AMERICAN IPA [​IMG]

Happy NBS to all...

Sunny and windy here on Long Island, feels like 20's-teens with wind chill. The wife and I stayed inside and relaxed. I had this beer with lunch...

[​IMG]

12. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

---------/ NEW AMERICAN BARLEYWINE \---------

So I spent my morning cleaning up around the old homestead... including rearranging my of half the bookshelves to be in order of color--- it seems my wife liked the look of it from a pinterest photo. We are going to give it a tey for a few weeks before we do the rest of the shelves....
    Here's how mine looks now:
    [​IMG]

After that, plus some laundry, and cleaning up my mancave, I felt it was time for a beer...

Had to grab these new barrel aged brews from Arcadia because I was BLOWN AWAY by the BA Shipwreck Porter...
    I'm starting off my day with the BA Cereal Killer...

Heres some pics:
    About 10 seconds after an initial pour..
    [​IMG]
    Overhead view
    [​IMG]
    After 35 seconds the head is gone.
    [​IMG]
    Some spitty chunks of lacing
    [​IMG]
    The beer looks really dark, but held up to a little sunshine we see its natural beauty-
    [​IMG]

Overall-- nowhere NEAR the porter.
    This is ok. It isnt great, but it wasnt a drainpour.
    This beer is ok. It is worth trying, but not worth trading for.
    And here is the review--

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/454/89009/?ba=AleWatcher

13. JoeyBeerBelly

14. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Savant (470) New Jersey Nov 21, 2011

Greetings NBSers ! I hope that all is well. The wind is howling here in Ocean County, NJ today, and it's cold, too!
    That's ok... this new brew did the job: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13307/58359/?ba=NiceTaps .

What? Me, drinking a Biere Brut, a sour-type beer? Well, I shared this with my wife and I'm glad that I did so, a very pleasant surprise. Maybe I'm on to something, but that's another story! Did you notice that the review begins and ends with the same word? That was not by chance.:)

Cheers, everyone!

15. Greetings NBS'ers & Happy Belated 8th Anniv ,
    from the Canadian side of the PNW , so far today is an overcast , cold and crisp with a chance of sun this afternoon ,
    the morning couldn't have started better thou as my Mom's team Liverpool put the game away early in the 2nd half , so I could start early with http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2675/90186/?ba=LampertLand ,
    sampled along side Hoyne's Voltage Espresso Stout , it's been a good start to the day

beertunes, GRPunk, AleWatcher and 2 others like this.
  16. JoeyBeerBelly

beertunes, GRPunk, AleWatcher and 2 others like this.
  17. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (935) New York Aug 25, 2010

As JoeyBB mentioned, its cold and windy here on LI - dust devils of snow crystals getting kicked up and sending sprays of sparkling snow into your face - real good stuff - on a basically sunny day. Went to my mother-in-law's for Sunday dinner - 2 pm Italian-style, pasta with homemade meatballs and sauce, bakery-fresh bread, and some salad on the side (I passed on the insalata ;)); followed by espresso, sfogliatelle and cannoli. No good beer to be had, so I had a half-glass of the obligatory red wine with the meal. Couldn't wait to get home for New Beer Sunday!

Great Divide Brewing has returned to LI, though I wasn't drinking craft beer whenever it used to be around, so I was pretty excited to see Yeti products in my local stores this past week.

Here's some of what I brought home:
    [​IMG]
    Already had an Espresso Oak (Friday?) - and man, was that good - also had their Titan IPA - spot-on, my friends - but I had to try 'em all.

And the winner for NBS is (*drumroll*)....

[​IMG]
    The Yeti, their standard Russian Imperial stout.

Into a tulip it goes with a confident center-pour:
    [​IMG]
    Nice thick head of dark brown mousse over a body so dark it almost absorbed the reflection of the camera (lol):
    [​IMG]
    A super fine RIS - worthy of the reputation it seems to have.
    [​IMG]
    Left sheets of lace down the glass as I drank:
    [​IMG]
    Great Divide's Yeti Imperial Stout
    I've become a tougher critic of styles with which I've become familiar, and having the .25 ranking increments available now has contributed to more conservative scoring from me as well. The RIS was one of my first interests (Old Raspy!), so I sometimes wince at the glowing reviews I've given to beers years ago that I now feel less enthusiasm about - but I don't have the time to go back and re-evaluate 300+ beer reviews...

That said, this is a standard-bearer for the Imperial stout - Russian and otherwise. It's one of those beers that an advocate should, given the opportunity, try. I'd put it as a peer to stouts from big name brewers like Founders (KBS/Breakfast/Imperial stout), AleSmith (IRS/Speedway), Goose Island's BCBS line, and the aforementioned Old Rasputin, among others.

It's a drink of great craftsmanship and refinement. I think that in the vast pool of Imperial stouts out there, a beer must have something to distinguish itself, and Yeti has that: a smoky, almost "meatiness" to it - I couldn't help but think of a smokehouse full of meat in some wintry wilderness, you know, smoke coming out of the chimney, a yeti lurking in the nearby woods (lol), drawn by the smells perhaps....
    I am super impressed with Great Divide so far, and looking forward to their Belgian Yeti, barleywine (Old Ruffian), and yeah, I can't wait to have that second bottle of Espresso Oak Aged Yeti...

Cheers, new beer lovers!

woemad, beertunes, GRPunk and 7 others like this.
  18. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

woemad, beertunes, GRPunk and 5 others like this.
  19. New warm fermented lager Sunday here in snowy MA! Having a Private Rye with dinner, it is ridiculously fruity!

20. Good afternoon NBS'ers time for some chocolate too keep one warm here on the canadian side of PNW ,
    Spinnaker's Chocoholic
    this inaugural version of Chocoholic is a 7.8%% alc/vol; 17 IBU
    Tcho Milk Chocolate Porter brewed in a Baltic Porter style with a Canadian Pilsner malt base , English Munich , Cara and Chocolate malts , American de-husked chocolate malt and a touch of wheat malt,balanced with 2 pitchings of German Hallertaus hops and farmer empowering , sustainably cooperative produced TCHO source cocoa nibs from Ecudor via Pier 17 in SanFrancisco
    and my take http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3447/90185
    sampled alongside Rogue Double Chocolate Stout

21. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Got this a while ago. Very tasty. Also had Schlafly coffee for the first time, pretty good

[​IMG]

22. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

Tell us more about why you like them. That's what this thread is all about, there are no wrong answers, we all get something different out of the same beer. Cheers!

ehammond1 likes this.
  23. Kuhnhenn Braggot - fist time having anything from this brewery or this style. Thanks to Psykosis for the in person beer trade last night, and the good convo over a pint.

Alright here we go

Poured from the bottle right down the middle of a snifter, very murky brownish amber color with maybe a hint of purple? ahh probably not....

Smell - Is very sweet, a lot of caramel, sugar plums, a lot of candy like sweetness coming through. Smells kind of like a sweetened version of a Old Ale.

Taste - a lot of sweet rasin, plum, caramel a little toffee, all around really good stuff.

Mouthfeel is medium, thought it would be fuller based on the pour, Carbonation is there but you really have to look for it, somehow it works though.

Hard to believe that this is 16%.... Based on taste and mouthfeel I would have guessed right around 9%.

Well this is my first Braggot and it won't be my last (assuming I can actually find someone else who makes on, that I can get in my neck of the woods)

woemad, AleWatcher, beertunes and 4 others like this.
  24. NEW American Barleywine Sunday​
    [​IMG]
    This, and especially with the Espresso IRS on the horizon, I think Stone has redeem themselves from the Belgian MehFest back in 11'! ​
    Cheers!​

woemad, GRPunk, cavedave and 2 others like this.
  25. JoeyBeerBelly

woemad, AleWatcher, beertunes and 4 others like this.
  26. match1112

27. RJLarse

RJLarse Advocate (730) Washington Dec 30, 2005

NEW American Porter Sunday​

Yep, new American Porter Sunday for me as well. I am clearing out the porters and stouts in anticipation of spring.

Puget Sound Porter from Harmon Brewing.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1386/4372/?ba=RJLarse

A decent porter with a significant coffee aroma and flavor.

On a related new beer note, I sampled some of my home brewed pale ale today. It's about 4 weeks in now, and while mildly carbonated was quite tasty. Until now my home brewing has been the pre-hopped malt extract and no boil recipes. They were OK but not great. This one is my first foray into what I'll call "real brewing" and I was surprised at how good this pale ale turned out. It's bound to be better as the spring wears on.

Nice day here in eastern Washington, sunny with temps in the low 50's. But they say changes are on the way, so I'll keep my spring fever in check for now.

Happy Trails!

28. Good Evening everyone!

Ive had quite a few new beers today. I finally made my first visit to Natty Greene's in Raleigh on the way back from Fayetteville, and it was really a good trip.

First up was the Appalachia Honey Irish Red. It was a very earthy Irish Red with a ton of honey. Body was light in style, but made up for it with some viscosity from the honey. It got even more honey flavors when it warmed up. I liked it alot. Next was the Green Tea Gruit. I didnt really know what to do with it. It was like drinking fresh green iced tea. Light body, and nothing to it.

The highlight of trip came in the next two beers. First was Full Moon Pale Ale. It had to be fresh because it tasted like pure west coast hops. Lots of dank dry hops dominated the light bodied pale ale. It finished with a nice balance of bitterness and a good dose of resinous grapefruit. I loved the beer alot.

Next I had the Hessian Hefeweizen. Clove heavy with a hint a banana and bubble gum, but its definitely a clove bomb. The General Stout was a very roasty, bitter Irish Dry Stout, bordering on a bit too roasty. I didnt get enough of the nitrogen smoothness underneath the heavy coffee and roast.

The last beer was the biggest let down. Gunsmith Dunkel was just plain awful. It almost tasted like a Belgian Dark. not enough smoothness and roast. Too much yeast.

29. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

I frequently miss new beer sunday... it's more often new beer monday for me.

I just procured my first sucks! So, on tomorrow's "what are you drinking", you'll see my report :)
    I know it's silly that I haven't had a sucks yet, but I tend towards stouts and porters.... Can't wait to broaden my horizons w/ a heavily vetted BA fav.

30. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (935) New York Aug 25, 2010

Too much time on my hands to avoid having another beer.
    [​IMG]
    And since its a new one...
    Belgian Style Yeti
    [​IMG]
    Are you kidding me? This is fantastic!
    [​IMG]
    Seriously - these people at Great Divide have hit these nails on the head.

Let's review: their Titan IPA - a spot-on IPA; Yeti - a spot-on Russian Imperial stout; their Espresso Oak Aged Yeti - an amped up version of their Yeti, with a heavier dose of espresso flavors and an ethereal oakiness; and now this, their Belgian-style Yeti - I guess if you start with a great brew like Yeti, you can't really go wrong...

The Belgian version has fruity and molasses flavors woven into the mix. Just frickin' stunning. Lighter body and feel, a little slipperier on the tongue; the only aspect that suffered, for what its worth, is the head is totally MIA - which matters, sure, but is it a big deal? Nope. This is a delicious drink. Good lord...

I just know I'm gonna love their barleywine (tomorrow night, I'd wager ;))...

Cheers!

JoeyBeerBelly, GRPunk, woemad and 2 others like this.
  31. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Greetings fellow NBSers! A bit of a late entry for me today. I walked my nephew earlier this morning, had a few new brews at home, and then my friend Joey took me and her youngest daughter to a presentation at Mt. Baker Theatre.

There's a guy in town, who I've had beers with many times over the years, and we've talked about a lot of stuff, but never what we do. Turns that dude was the guy presenting the info today. His name is Chris Morgan. He's had shows on PBS, National Geographic, BBC and others. He's an expert on bears, and also knows a lot about wolves and Siberian Tigers. I never knew. I am truly humbled that one my local homies that I BS with over beers is this major, big deal in his world. He showed some stunning footage of bears, tigers and talked about his experiences.

My first entry for this NBS in honor of Chris is this brew from one Seattle's sneaky great breweries: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18353/90199

JoeyBeerBelly, GRPunk, woemad and 3 others like this.
  32. match1112

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/392/43217/?ba=match1112
    [​IMG]

don't want to say that it's another disappointment, because it was drinkable, it's just too one sided. tastes like juice and vodka. no sourness and very little tartness. too much alochol burn on the finish. don't know if it just fell apart in the past two years or if it's always like this. very drinkable and it was free! cheers and good night!

JoeyBeerBelly and GRPunk like this.
  33. woemad

woemad Champion (835) Washington Jun 8, 2003

NEW AMERICAN WILD ALE​
    Good evening, fellow NBSers,
    Had a late start to the day, plus I wasted a good hour or so by driving up to the north end of town to check out a beer bar that happens to be closed on Sundays...
    Oh, well, it was a nice day for a drive, although if I'd known how things would pan out I'd have gone somewhere more scenic than the north side of Spokane.
    Picked this up a couple of weeks ago on a similar trip north that was more of a beer fieldtrip:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30/86010/?ba=woemad
    Really interesting - found it an intriguing place between beer and wine - but I wouldn't want to drink it all night.

beertunes, JoeyBeerBelly and GRPunk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.