1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Beer Sunday (week 418)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by malty, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malty

malty Savant (415) Michigan Dec 16, 2003

Good morning wort wizards,

Mid-MI is coming out of a little snow burst that left about 6" altogether. NOTHING, compared to what the Midwest received. Overall this winter's snowfall has been below average which sucks mainly because our great lakes water level will most likely suffer. It snowed a little bit yesterday for the Michigan Brewers Guild Winter Beer Fest in Comstock Park yesterday, along with a bit of wind. I'm sure no one cared, as the fest's past slogan was 'Mock Winter'. I didn't attend, but will be reading all about it today as the beer line-ups were MEGA!

Michigan's Rochester Mills and Greenbush Brewing bottles and cans hit our market for the first time last week. It's been forever since I've tried anything from Rochester, but I visited Greenbush twice last year, thoroughly enjoying their 'Anger' black IPA and their pumpkin ale and Distorter porter were both solid. Glad to see more and more smaller MI breweries getting their wares into public distribution. I didn't get the chance to purchase any, but I did have a client bring me some Deshute's brews back from Bend, OR that I'm stoked to try...if it weren't for this stupid head cold!!! Damned thing has been lingering for a week now and is becoming more than annoying.

So, to all of you who have properly functioning olfactory, enjoy some new beers and tell us all about them AFTER you've drunk them. Post pics, links to their formal reviews, colorful commentary of your new beer's characteristics and attributes, etc. Delight in your new beer excursions and know I'll be with you in spirit and jealousy. Hot Tea is about it for me today. Maybe a dram of Glenmorangie finished in port cask if I really need to cut-through the fog :) Good day and good drinkin'!

In the undying spirt of craft beer,

malty

woemad, garymuchow, mecummins and 6 others like this.
  2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

***New Irish Dry Stout Sunday!!!

Cheers, Malty. I hope that head cold gets the hell out soon.

It's snowing again in Casper. Man, what a difference from last year's Spring like Winter.

My new beer turned out to be a surprisingly good brew, Killian's Irish Stout. Here's my review:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/306/88510/?ba=Bitterbill

beertunes, ESeab, GRPunk and 7 others like this.
  3. fvernon

fvernon Savant (370) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2010

Well, I had this yesterday at lunch, but it seems fitting for today... Upland has a new session ipa (4.7%... so really just a hoppy pale ale) on tap called Trogdor - my friend and i stuck around for lunch after their lambic & gilgamesh re-release and i tried it out before popping a Blackberry. i don't have pics or a review yet (i'll need to go back and have a more formal sit-down with it), but my thoughts were:

very light in color, body, and mouthfeel, but a very nice piney aroma and solid bitter on the back end - along with upland's harvest ale, the better hop characteristics i've gotten with upland (i find their dragonfly variations to be a little too malt-forward for my tastes). it's maybe a little early for this ale, but i can seriously see downing this during the summer.

i'll get a review up sometime soon, but in the meantime:

bluejacket74 likes this.
  4. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (935) New York Aug 25, 2010

Ain't cold at all, 44 and humid, LI, NY; cloudy gray skies and Fuller's 1845...
    [​IMG]
    A pint o' beer into a pint glass:
    [​IMG]
    And there ya have it...
    [​IMG]
    Their slogan should be: "Mistake-free beer."
    [​IMG]
    The 1845 was first brewed in 1995 to celebrate their 150th anniversary.
    [​IMG]
    You could eat the head with a spoon.
    [​IMG]
    But I opted for some pretzel shrapnel.

Class, quality, integrity. This is good beer. I can get all prosy and tell you about the fruit and biscuit flavors, the hints of licorice and so on, but let's leave that in the review. Really, this is a rugged, flavorful, blue collar beer that'll make ya beer muscles flex. Grrr....

Cheers, NBS devotees!

Willbfun, woemad, GRPunk and 9 others like this.
  5. CHADMC3, beertunes, GRPunk and 7 others like this.
  6. DIM

DIM Advocate (735) Pennsylvania Sep 28, 2006

NEW SAISON SUNDAY

Warmer today but still depressingly overcast. I'm sitting in the sunroom still trying to get through the Sunday paper. I'm distracted by a piece of Humboldt Fog and nice new saison.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24300/74273/?ba=DIM

Its a very active at the bird feeders which is also drawing my attention away from the paper. Plenty of woodpeckers, chickadees, sparrows, juncos, and titmice, all chattering away.

And of course there is my radiant wife, rubbing her 8 months worth of baby belling with a soft, expectant smile. Hard to keep my eyes off of that. All in all a perfect Sunday afternoon.

Cheers guys have a great Sunday.

7. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

It's a mild (comparatively) sunny day here in Chicago. We're supposed to get socked by winter weather again later in the week, so I'm enjoying it while I can!

I've had this New Glarus Hometown Blonde sitting in my beer fridge for awhile. I'm not big on pilsners, but after trying this one, I may change my tune. It was crisp and dry and very well balanced. Great carbonation and very easy to drink. New Glarus should consider making this a year round offering.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/590/3149/?ba=mecummins

[​IMG]

CHADMC3, beertunes, GRPunk and 6 others like this.
  8. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

TWO new ones this sunday.
    backwoods bastard (yeah, I got a pack this late!) Everyone knows my BCBS bias... gotta say, I can summarize backwoods as BCBS lite. Just a smidge less intense/sryupy than bourbon county, which depending upon my mood, can be a good thing, once in a while.
    Then captain lawrence reserve:
    as you know, I've been recently exploring hoppy non-brown beers. sucks is currently at the top of my list. I tried captain lawrence reserve today. Very nice, but light. almost lager-light. I would drink it again, but would always choose sucks over it. the piny citrus sucky intensity wins out.

woemad and garymuchow like this.
  9. mattcrill

mattcrill Advocate (720) Ohio Mar 16, 2004

New American IPA Sunday

Greetings hop wallopers and malt marauders!

Hope this message finds you all doing well on this fine NBS.

Weather in Central OH is still cold but no snow. Just a typical gray Feb day.

Taking a break from my Operations Management class to review this one: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/57252/?ba=mattcrill

I usually like most of the Sam Adams stuff but this one was lost on me. When the best part of the beer is the appearance you've got trouble my friends...right here in River City.

Hope you all have something tasty and crafty in your hands today!

Peace, love, and malty-ness,

Matt

woemad, GRPunk, NiceTaps and 5 others like this.
  10. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Savant (470) New Jersey Nov 21, 2011

It's New American Pale Lager Sunday here at the Jersey Shore where the temps are hovering around 50 degrees, cloudy and a stiff breeze. Not great weather, but better than the last few weekends, that's for sure.

After a drive along the beach with my wife, our first since Sandy laid the hammer down on our community, I went for an easy drinker with lunch: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26520/71820/?ba=NiceTaps. Hoponius Union was good, but I seem to miss the factor that makes this a much higher ratings earner. I've moved on and will check in later.

And speaking of 'moving on' ... There's is no describing what I witnessed today. It certainly puts perspective on things; as serious as I like beer, I'll never take it too seriously.

CHADMC3, woemad, garymuchow and 6 others like this.
  11. GRPunk

GRPunk Advocate (600) Michigan Apr 5, 2007

New Imperial Black IPA from the Great Lakes State

Currently blue skies and warmer temps allowing for a little thaw before more snow predicted later in the week.

What an awesome weekend.

Lots of family time Friday night.

The MBG Winter Beer Fest was everything and more yesterday. Pouring for my friend at Jaden James put me right between the Dark Horse and Kuhnhenn tables. That meant...

Jaden James
    Cream Ale
    Tri-power Imperial IPA
    Imperial Russian Stout
    IPA
    Black IPA

Dark Horse
    Sour Plead the Fifth
    Sour flavored with Dragon Fruit

Khunhenn
    BA 4th Dementia
    Raspberry Eisbock

Bell's
    Raspberry wild One
    Black Note

And many other great MI brews and full access to a stepped up hospitality area compared to years past. Top notch.

On to today's review from Short's

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9629/82298/?ba=GRPunk

[​IMG]

12. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

[​IMG] American Double / Imperial IPA [​IMG]
    Happy NBS to all...​
    I took advantage of the 44 degree day here on Long Island to do a few things outside like drain the pool cover and repair the fence/gate.​
    I needed a beer after doing that and I grabbed one of these...​

[​IMG]

13. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

]I decided it was a good day to try the BA Imperial Stout from Arcadia...
    [​IMG]

It turns out that the day was better than the beer.

Here's the pour
    [​IMG]

Finishing the pour
    [​IMG]

The finished product

[​IMG]

Here it is backlit showing slight chestnut reddish notes
    [​IMG]

Here's the head completely gone after 20 seconds
    [​IMG]

My thoughts in a single sentence:
    This beer is far beneath the best of the style, it is on the poor side of average.

Here's the review:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/454/34100/?ba=AleWatcher

14. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

15. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Greetings fellow NBSers! A gray, windy, but warm (50ish) day here in the Fourth Corner. Yesterday was Washington Brewers Open House, where most breweries gave tours, poured samples and just generally welcomed us into their breweries. The 3 breweries in my town ran a free shuttle bus between them. Boundary Bay did their yearly release of bottles of Imperial IPA and gave samples, Chuckanut unveiled a new Dry Irish Stout and a new Baltic Porter that just blew me away, I drank many "samples". Kulshan poured their Red Ale, the last keg of their Xmas beer Old Tannenbaum (brewed with actual trees in the brew kettle), a new Saison that was very good, but needs a bit more time to dry out, once it does, it's going to be great. They also had a version of their Pale Wheat Ale, fermented with a different Saison yeast. It was really good. I totally abused their generosity. Thanks to all three!

My first (maybe only) new brew is this very nice Strong Ale from the wilds of Medford, OR: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/6924/12852/?ba=beertunes. I'll see if there's anything else I haven't had yet, if not, Cheers All!

mattcrill, GRPunk, woemad and 3 others like this.
  16. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

I stayed with a Rye IPA for new beer #2...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scalzo, mattcrill, GRPunk and 3 others like this.
  17. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

CHADMC3, mattcrill, GRPunk and 3 others like this.
  18. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

19. woemad

woemad Champion (835) Washington Jun 8, 2003

NEW RUSSIAN IMPERIAL STOUT
    Greetings, fellow NBSers​
    40 degrees and partly sunny in the largest city between Seattle and Minneapolis. I started the day at my folk's house 150 miles SW of here where I'd been visiting since Thursday night. The weather there was characteristically windy and uncharacteristicly rainy. On my way home today around 1PM I stopped at Ice Harbor, watched the conclusion of the Daytona 500 and had a cask pour of a single hop (Chinook) version of their IPA and a mug of Hop Warrior.​
    Once home, after unpacking and related chores were done, I poured myself a glass of a Dutch RIS:​
    Seemed like half the beer had been somehow removed - the sweet elements of the style were there, but not the bitter ones, and the 11% abv seemed totally undetectable. Don't think I'll revisit this.​

20. New Tripel Sunday

Greetings NBS,
    Wow, a lot of activity on NBS today, I can't wait to read about some of it.
    Today and the weekend in general were pretty much a cold, dreary washout here in Southern, CT. It did help melt some of the Nemo leftovers, so we'll take it.
    A buddy of mine provided me with this nice Kansas brewed Tripel during our get together last weekend, and I was rather impressed:

21. woemad

woemad Champion (835) Washington Jun 8, 2003

GRPunk, beertunes, mecummins and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.