1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Belgium’s Canning Capacity Expands, Allows For New 16-ounce Tallboys

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Jason, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (1,300) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Ft. Collins, CO (March 6, 2012) - New Belgium Brewing (www.newbelgium.com) today announced that its 16,000 square foot canning line is complete and in full production. The system increases New Belgium’s canning volume capacity six-fold and has the capability to package both 12-ounce and 16-ounce cans.

“People are loving craft beer in a can so we decided to increase production to keep up with demand,” said Bryan Simpson, New Belgium spokesperson. “We first rolled out cans in 2008 as an outdoor-friendly, light for transport and readily recyclable vessel. Our fans enjoy that cans can travel to places where glass is not an option and now tallboys can come along, too.”

The new canning system, manufactured by KHS, features a 40-head filler capable of filling 360 cans per minute; the previous canning line filled 60 cans per minute.

Fat Tire and Ranger IPA are now available in 16-ounce can four-packs. New Belgium’s latest beer, Shift Pale Lager, debuts April 2 and will only be available in 16-ounce cans.

The canning line resides just east of New Belgium’s bottling facility on the brewery’s fifty-acre campus in Fort Collins, CO. New Belgium contracted Neenan Company of Fort Collins for construction. The canning line and facility cost nearly $8 million to build.

About New Belgium Brewing Company
    New Belgium Brewing Company, makers of Fat Tire Amber Ale and a host of Belgian-inspired beers, began operations in a tiny Fort Collins basement in 1991. Today, the third largest craft brewer in the U.S., New Belgium produces nine year-round beers; Fat Tire Amber Ale, Ranger IPA, Shift Pale Lager, Belgo IPA, Sunshine Wheat, Blue Paddle Pilsner, 1554 Black Ale, Abbey and Trippel, as well as a host of seasonal releases. In addition to producing world-class beers, New Belgium takes pride in being a responsible corporate role model with progressive programs such as employee ownership, open book management and a commitment to environmental stewardship. For more information, visit www.newbelgium.com.

###
  2. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Wish more would can. These bombers and 750's are hard to sneak in places.

Cheers!
  3. fortsambo

fortsambo Savant (250) Colorado Feb 14, 2011

Not a big fan of NB, but I for one am loving this trend towards tallboys! Bought some Deviant Dales last night, it was excellent!
  4. Canning is the new thing to do and I love it.
  5. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Been looking forward to Shift for a while now. Hope it's as good as I think it will be. And to echo the other sentiments here, I love cans. Especially big ones.
  6. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

I love a tallboy for summer. :cool:
    TheYeagermeister likes this.
  7. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

The facebook commentary surrounding this news is quite entertaining, I'd recommend it.
  8. nice!

now bring on the La Folie & Le Terrier cans :D
  9. cropcircle

cropcircle Aspirant (35) Mar 7, 2012

because there just isnt enough BPA in a 12 oz can...
    djbreezy likes this.
  10. now, if they could only reach the northeast coast....
  11. Andwoo

Andwoo Aficionado (150) Texas Sep 21, 2010

Dude, c'mon now. There isn't a single FDA approved can out there that doesn't use BPA for products that have any acidity level to them. The BPA isn't harmful unless you microwave the can, let it sit the desert for two years and then give the product to a three-year-old. You know that. Plus, don't you think a company like Ball Aerospace (yeah, they make space ships and stuff) would make cans that aren't the best possible cans available? C'mon now.
  12. bebbcorp

bebbcorp Aficionado (215) Kansas Mar 6, 2010

bpa = belgian pale ale
    djbreezy likes this.