1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Belgium Brewing Expands Tank Farm With 16 New Vessels

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Expansion brings Fort Collins craft brewer’s capacity to 840,000 barrels

Fort Collins, CO, December 17, 2012 - Two cranes, 16 tanks, six days. New Belgium Brewing will install 12 new fermentation vessels and four bright beer tanks (all 2,200 hectoliter) between December 17 and 22. The additional capacity will help New Belgium achieve a potential capacity of 840,000 barrels of beer production in Fort Collins. The increased volume will help bridge the gap until New Belgium’s second facility in Asheville, North Carolina comes online in 2015. The Asheville facility is slated for groundbreaking in spring of 2013 and will have an initial capacity of 400,000 barrels.

“We needed additional tank space to address demand for the next couple years before Asheville is up and running,” said New Belgium spokesperson, Bryan Simpson. “This will give us a little breathing room.”

Ziemann Group of Burgstadt, Germany fabricated the tanks. The Fort Collins cellar expansion project will cost around $10 million. New Belgium will utilize some of the expanded capacity to add distribution to Alaska and Louisiana in spring of 2013.

About New Belgium Brewing Company
    New Belgium Brewing Company, makers of Fat Tire Amber Ale and a host of Belgian-inspired beers, began operations in a tiny Fort Collins basement in 1991. Today, the third largest craft brewer in the U.S., New Belgium produces nine year-round beers; Fat Tire Amber Ale, Sunshine Wheat, Blue Paddle Pilsner, 1554 Black Ale, Abbey, Mothership Wit, Ranger, Belgo IPA and Trippel, as well as a host of seasonal releases. In addition to producing world-class beers, New Belgium takes pride in being a responsible corporate role model with progressive programs such as employee ownership, open book management and a commitment to environmental stewardship. For more information, visit www.newbelgium.com.
    ###

JimKal and jonbeer89 like this.
  2. Good news! I like Fat Tire and Blue Paddle Pilsner. I also like the collar beer they did with Lost Abbey.

3. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

So they are going to send it to Fing Alaska but not Florida. Bastards

4. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Love hearing GROWTH from craft brewers.

5. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Love their Lips of Faith series.. the Imperial Coffee Stout is delicious.. glad they are doing so well.

6. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I am a fan of growth in craft as well, but mixed feelings on seeing so much expansion from the likes of NB, SN, and Lagunitas.

The fact that they can expand like this tells me there is still a ton more room for new breweries rather than increased capacity from big craft. More breweries brewing less rather than less brewing more is a more equitable arrangement and better for overall craft beer culture imho. It ends up netting employment for more people. The only people losing any money on that deal are already doing just fine.

I do take comfort in the fact that these breweries are quite socially responsible, perhaps more so than many smaller operations.

7. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

I'd be giving you high 5's if the tons of new breweries were any good. I think we're well into the same mode that we were in back in the 90's when there was so much mediocrity as places opened one after another to catch in on the fad/growth. It's even worse this time because there's the "buy local" mindset everywhere, even if the beer isn't all that great compared to regional & imported craft.

So, for me, I'm happy if the better ones expand. Plus they get their teeth into a market with their mainstream craft options like Fat Tire to compete with Faux craft like Blue Moon or Shock Top kind of beers.

Andwoo likes this.
  8. Andwoo

Andwoo Aficionado (150) Texas Sep 21, 2010

I see where you're coming from on the cultural end but your point basically goes against the entire idea of business. You'll be hard-pressed to find a successful business who's model has been to remain static. You're forgetting that these larger craft breweries (and most production breweries) have fiscal duties. They're responsible for paying salaries, health care (which most small crafts don't offer), 401Ks. Also, most healthy businesses run a pretty large line of credit through a bank. Banks won't loan you money at a good rate unless you prove that you're profitable and are trying to grow. Oh, and you have to pay-off those loans. Brewing is extremely expensive. It's raw materials, equipment and transportation EVERY SINGLE DAY. These are jobs and families who depend on those jobs and hope to retire on those jobs someday. Not just a bunch of fun-loving beer nerds skipping around all day laughing about making great beer. It's serious business. But it's fun. And guess what? There's plenty of room still. Don't believe me? Ask the first stranger you see the last time they had a craft beer. Odds are, they have no idea.

otispdriftwood likes this.