1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

New Belgium Brewing to Distribute in British Columbia

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Jason, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Jason

Jason BA Founder Staff Member

FORT COLLINS, CO – July 16, 2013 - New Belgium Brewing, brewer of a wide variety of award-winning beers including Fat Tire Amber Ale, will be available in British Columbia this September. The brewery has signed an agreement with Beerthirst to serve as its agent and will officially kick off its entry into Canada at the Great Canadian Beer Fest on September 6, 2013. New Belgium will begin selling beer at retail locations three days later. The brewery will initially roll out six-packs and draft of Fat Tire, Ranger IPA and its current seasonal release. Ninety days later, New Belgium will begin to release limited selections from its Lips of Faith, Hop Kitchen and Trip series, as well as Rampant Imperial IPA.

“For our first adventure in exporting outside the U.S., British Columbia makes perfect sense,” said New Belgium Brewing Sales Co-Pilot Brian Krueger. “This has been a great period of learning and exploring new territories for us, and we're excited to bring New Belgium's portfolio to our good friends up north.”

New Belgium began distribution in Alaska and Louisiana earlier this year, enters Florida this month, and will come to Delaware in August. For more information on the brewery, visit www.newbelgium.com.

ABOUT NEW BELGIUM BREWING
    New Belgium Brewing, makers of Fat Tire Amber Ale and a host of Belgian-inspired beers, is recognized as one of Outside Magazine’s Best Places to Work and one of the Wall Street Journal’s Best Small Businesses. The 100% employee owned brewery is a Platinum-level Bicycle Friendly Business as designated by the League of American Bicyclists, and one of World Blu’s most democratic U.S. businesses. In addition to Fat Tire, New Belgium brews eight year round beers; Ranger IPA, Shift Pale Lager, Sunshine Wheat, 1554 Black Ale, Blue Paddle Pilsener, Rampant Imperial IPA, Abbey Belgian Ale and Trippel. Learn more at www.newbelgium.com.

###
    Rutager likes this.
  2. Awesome , I would love to pick up Ranger at the government liquor store for the same price as Deschutes. I really hope their mixed packs make it up here.
  3. atomeyes

atomeyes Member

saw that. Lips of Faith series isn't a bad thing to get
    Rutager likes this.
  4. Sammy

Sammy Member

good news for Canada
    Rutager likes this.
  5. rudge75

rudge75 Member

And back on topic:

Not really...

BeerThirst generally signs a Canada wide distro exclusivity deal with their US breweries.

Other provinces don't get the beers they bring in, only BC, which isn't really a problem for traders or people who live within an hour of the border.

When you consider just how much beer New Belgium could sell Canada wide, that's quite the loss.

Hell, I see their commercials here on TV and I only get 10 channels.
  6. Just finished a mixed pack I picked up on holidays. The Fat Tire Amber and Ranger IPA are pretty good but the rest I found to be just average.
  7. I don't even know where to start. Ridiculous.

Interesting to hear about the Canada wide contract side of things- I had no idea. Wonder if Beerthirst's medium to long term plan includes distributing to provinces other than BC? Cross-country distribution of logsdon, gigantic and commons etc would probably go over quite well if the legal logistics could be sorted out.
  8. Sammy

Sammy Member

well let's keep everyone out yet, even if they want to give their beer away
  9. hoser

hoser Member

10. I just saw a large New Belgium poster on the door of my go to bottle shop door. It was like a movie trailer poster......."Coming soon!" I'll be interested to see what we get. If it's just Fat Tire, I'll probably take a pass. I wouldn't mind seeing their Variety Pack or sixers of Ranger.
  11. JMecc

JMecc Member

When can we get NB beers in Alberta?
  12. You guys get to many good beers already. ;)
    Lurkaholic likes this.
  13. Whenever you like!

ISO: Herfst / Intense Red / LP Loons FT: Fat Tire

:D
  14. Torontoblue

Torontoblue Member

You can't. There is talks to bring NB in, and 2 agencies are 'fighting' for the contract.
  15. JMecc

JMecc Member

Can't wait. The only time I can get New Belgium now is when I'm in the Denver Airport and don't have to work later that day. Next time, I want to take a layover and drive up to visit the brewery.

I'm not sure if any online services come here - it seems like they are all U.S.-only.
  16. Torontoblue

Torontoblue Member

There's no online services for Canada, as it's technically illegal to ship alcohol as an individual across Provinces/borders.
  17. Torontoblue

Torontoblue Member

Nope, Beerthirst sub-contract, for want of a better word with 49th Parallel group.
  18. hoser

hoser Member

Not the case anymore 49th Parallel group got dumped. Horizon is about to be the announced agent for New Belgium in Alberta with it starting here in February. Or at least what Horizon sales girl was saying a couple weeks ago. Ranger, Fat Tire and little bits of Lips of Faith to start.