Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

New Belgium in Ohio

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by fiver29, Feb 10, 2013.

1. fiver29

fiver29 Advocate (510) Ohio Sep 18, 2007 Verified

I see they added more states to their disro and now they are even going to be in Alaska. Anyone here know if there is some sort of hang up coming to Ohio?
  2. nrbw23

nrbw23 Advocate (575) Ohio Jul 30, 2007 Verified

Its been said on here quite a few times that they won't come to Ohio unitl their new brewery is up and running.
  3. Cbusssted

Cbusssted Aficionado (180) Ohio Jul 3, 2012

Adding Alaska is not like adding Ohio to their distribution network. The demand is simply not there. Over the years I've noticed that some breweries like to do this (send their beer to states with very little demand; Montana, Alabama, Idaho, etc.). It's not unlike a frat guy who goes out on Saturday night and bangs a completely wasted 2-out-of-10 just for the next notch on his bedpost.
  4. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (605) Ohio Jan 8, 2009 Verified

You are flat out wrong here. Alaska involves a much heavier investment in shipping costs than shipping to the CONUS. There is plenty of demand here for craft beer, as evidenced by the wave of breweries that have started distributing here over the last year, such as Revolution, Finch's, Oskar Blues, Uinta, Upland, and Knee Deep.
  5. Cbusssted

Cbusssted Aficionado (180) Ohio Jul 3, 2012

You must've misunderstood, despite my analogy. The demand in Alaska is not anything like it is in Ohio. Its not easy to fulfill the needs of a state like Ohio, it would need an appreciable increase in production over what would be required to fulfill the needs of a state like AK. I'm sure the small amount of beer that will be getting flown to AK will not create that much logistical overhead for a group as large and well-connected as New Belgium. Thus I view it as a notch on their belt; an advantageous steppingstone towards continental domination, not a misguided oversight.

Ohio will see New Belgium. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but once their bootstraps are tightened up we'll have more Fat Tire than your 22 year old neighbor knows what to do with.
  6. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (605) Ohio Jan 8, 2009 Verified

I want La Folie, Le Terroir, and Ranger. Give me those three, I'd be happy.
  7. jampics2

jampics2 Champion (840) Ohio Dec 19, 2008 Verified

Yep. They sent letters of intent to distribute back in 2011. As far as I understand, they chose MI over OH due to a better fit in terms of distribution. There's speculation that since 2011 NB has indeed selected an Ohio distributor, but no one can confirm except the people at that company and they aren't talking.

The latest, greatest word on the street is NB's new brewery should be online in late 2013/early 2014 with OH distro following in late 2014/2015.

If I was a betting man, I would guess NB will be in OH in exactly 2 years from now.
    fiver29 likes this.
  8. Spider889

Spider889 Advocate (720) Ohio Mar 24, 2010 Verified

Yeah, you're probably right.

It's ok though, we all likely tend to use the analogies that make sense to ourselves for whatever reason...
    jampics2 likes this.