1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Belgium rampant imperial IPA tour

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by heyduke, Feb 19, 2013.

1. heyduke

heyduke Aficionado (170) Colorado Jan 14, 2011

Saw a photo posted on Facebook, anyone know anything about it?

2. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Savant (485) Colorado Oct 5, 2011

3. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Part of me hopes they didn't rip off Alpine after the collaboration last year, part of me hopes they did.

bitromp likes this.
  4. Kuester

Kuester Aficionado (165) Colorado May 14, 2012

Hop recipe does look different, don't think I've tried a beer with calipso or mosaic..

5. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

As long as it doesn't taste like Ranger, I'm interested. They were originally going to be bringing that one to the Rackhouse Valentine's Day dinner but it wasn't ready yet. I have a Rampant branded pint glass, though.
    The NB rep said he hadn't tried it yet either.

6. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

I might give this one a try (I still have yet to check out Ranger). I dug the Mosaic hops in the latest Odell Woodcut release, so curious to try them in another beer.

7. Dolph1979

Dolph1979 Aficionado (125) Colorado Nov 28, 2011

I expected that one to be better...one bomber and you would have a hell of a buzz, but to me it was a tad to boozy, other than that I didn't have a problem with it, but I really thought my mind was going to be blown, hopefully this new IMP IPA will do that!

8. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (530) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

I loved the Alpine collab!!

MarkyMOD, buffs9 and denver10 like this.
  9. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

my first ipa featuring mosaic hops and im pretty impressed...

its a noticeable departure from the citrusy hop bombs we've become accustomed to, and which i love

still, its crisp and bitter but the mosaic adds a peachy note thats pretty unique to my palate and definitely pleasing.

i drink a shit ton of ipa's, and i think NB took this thing in a new direction w/out trying to reinvent the imperial ipa, a style that is not typically in their ballpark. kudos.

10. Domingo

Anyone getting oniony or swampy notes? Those tend to be red flags for me.

MYJELLOMISFIT likes this.
  11. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

no, not a touch of onion/garlic/dank/peat. i think its mosaic and cascade hops in this one.

12. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (315) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

Rode my bike up to the liquor store and grabbed the last sixer. Drinking one now and digging it. Very light body with a crisp finish, I may pound a few.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  13. Beaver13

Beaver13 Savant (470) Colorado Nov 9, 2003

I got a ton of onion notes in the bottle I drank and no real citrus. It tasted like a watered down, more oniony, Gubna. It was actually a drainpour for me. I was hoping it was just a bad bottle, since most reviews mention citrus and it looks like Summit hops were not used. I still have the rest of the 6 pack but have been afraid to try another. :)

14. Domingo

I still haven't had one, but I definitely want to. I'm hoping to run into it on tap or maybe get a bottle as part of a mixed 6-pack.
    While summit hops are notorious for oniony character, I've had beers that had it that were using varieties like Columbus, Centennial, and Citra, too. Ditto for that swampy weedy character, too. I usually associate that with Simcoe, but it doesn't have to be.

15. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Drank one last night, it's good. Reminds me of the Lips of Faith Fresh Hop IPA from two years ago.

Oxymoron likes this.
  16. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

From what I've learned from brewers and other resources, a lot of hop varietals (if not all, not really sure if more are prone to do it) have the potential to give off onion/garlic aroma and flavor, and it has to do with how long the hops are kept on the bine. It's a balance on when to harvest hops, but batch or farm variation, dependent on this and other factors, really affects the finished product. Sometimes you need to change producers, sometimes they correct their process and it goes away.

I don't know anything about what causes the dank weed character, but I do remember Lagunitas Daytime Session IPA smelling like a grow facility. That beer was crazy dank.

Domingo likes this.
  17. I also was getting an awful flavor out of what I had. I bought a six pack too and will either give it away or tough it out and drink them anyway.

18. Domingo

Finally got some and I like it. Piney with tons of melon notes in the middle. I don't get any onion or garlic salt. Reminds me a little of a seriously kicked-up Dig.

19. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

I liked Dig...might have to try this now.

20. mkorpal

mkorpal Savant (275) Colorado Oct 28, 2007

I liked it. It had more of a melon, strawberry, apple flavor rather than your typical grapefruit and orange flavor that most IPAs have. But Calypso hops are like that, almost strait apple juice. I didn't get much weed, onion type flavors out of it. Solid beer for sure, not earth shattering though.