1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Belgium Releases Rampant Imperial IPA This Spring

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (1,320) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Ft. Collins, CO (February 2013) – New Belgium Brewing, maker of Fat Tire Amber Ale and a wide variety of award-winning beers, continues its imaginative exploration of IPAs with its latest release - Rampant Imperial IPA. Rampant brings a happily bitter beer to New Belgium’s year-round portfolio, which also includes Ranger IPA and Shift.

A burly Imperial IPA, Rampant pours a pure copper and carries the sheen of a rightly hopped beer. The Mosiac and Calypso hops bring stonefruit, while the addition of Centennial hops nod towards citrus for a well-rounded aroma. The beer presents heavy peach tones with a profoundly bitter bite.

“Imperial IPAs take hoppy beers to the next level,” said New Belgium Assistant Brewmaster Grady Hull. “Rampant packs a powerful wallop but it’s got the malt bill to back it up.”

Rampant is 8.5 percent ABV and 85 IBU. It’s available in 12 oz. and 22 oz. bottles and on draft in most New Belgium markets.

To find New Belgium beers in your area, you can use the New Belgium Libation Location tool: http://www.newbelgium.com/beer.aspx. Pricing varies by location. You can also follow New Belgium on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/newbelgiumand Twitter @NewBelgium.

About New Belgium Brewing Company
    New Belgium Brewing, makers of Fat Tire Amber Ale and a host of Belgian-inspired beers, is recognized as one of Outside Magazine’s Best Places to Work and one of the Wall Street Journal’s Best Small Businesses. The 100% employee owned brewery is a Platinum-level Bicycle Friendly Business as designated by the League of American Bicyclists, and one of World Blu’s most democratic U.S. businesses. In addition to Fat Tire, New Belgium brews eight year round beers; Ranger IPA, Shift Pale Lager, Sunshine Wheat, 1554 Black Ale, Blue Paddle Pilsener, Belgo IPA, Abbey Belgian Ale and Trippel. Learn more at www.newbelgium.com.

###
  2. Is it known when this will hit shelves?
  3. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

I think I was told it will ship 3/5 something like that
  4. BetterBeerPlz and BrettHead like this.
  5. Anyone else had this yet? Picked up a sizer last night and wasn't impressed, wouldn't buy it again.
    biga7346, JohnnyMc and buffs9 like this.
  6. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

Really?! Where do you live? I am in AZ and have not seen it yet.
  7. I have one at home, but haven't tried it yet. I'm not sure when it hits shelves exactly (mine's a sample).
  8. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Savant (460) California Nov 16, 2009

Just grabbed a bomber of it. Crossing fingers it's good.
  9. VDODSON

VDODSON Savant (310) North Dakota Feb 5, 2013

Damn, wish they had this in ND.
  10. I'm in VA, had a couple more tonight and it was better than last night (getting over a cold, probably why). Was surprised to see it here already, bottle date is 2/9/13. For the price it's not a bad buy ($10.99/sixer) but there are better options for sure.
  11. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (340) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

I saw a bunch of this in Total Wine McLean today. They had a bunch of Sucks in too, so I bought that instead.
    ufmj, SalukiAlum and FriarTuckInLuck like this.
  12. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (550) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

Just came out in Chicago. Picked up a bottle @ binnys in plainfield with their build a six pack. Havent had it yet, but I have the feeling I probably wont like it. Considering I dont like fat tire. And yes I know its comparing apples to oranges.
  13. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

It's their new year round so I'm sure we'll be seeing it within a week or two
  14. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (405) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

Got a single yesterday, didn't particularly care for it.
  15. I ordered the beer yesterday for my store. It arrived today and it greatly surpassed my expectations!!! With the Mosaic and Calypso dry hopping it REALLY reminds me of Enjoy By IPA.
    Ford likes this.
  16. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

I feel like some people "don't care" for it because it's New Belgium, and not a brewery known for IPA's or double/imperial IPA's.
  17. I got one at a Total Wine in Tucson today.

18. I feel that they should be recognized for crafting this massively flavorful, yet balanced and easy drinking Imperial IPA.

19. Try it, you'll be surprised. I sure was.

By the way, the only New Belgium beer I really like is La Folie.

This beer is really well crafted.
    Revenant likes this.
  20. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (550) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

I think your description of it just convinced me.

21. Its dry hopped with Mosaic and Calypso which are big players in Stone's Enjoy By IPA. As Soon as I smelled it, I thought of Enjoy By. Im juat shocked that they can make this quality of an IIPA and be able to put it in 6 packs for 7.99. Its not the most complex IPA out there, but it damn tasty and it provides just enough lupulin to tie over an avid hop head for a while.
    raynmoon and kfordham281 like this.
  22. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

I think this beer smells delicious, unfortunately it doesn't taste like it smells. It's not bad, just not much to it, in my opinion.
    FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  23. PalatePilot

PalatePilot Savant (440) Colorado Dec 24, 2010

It's easy to keep it at that price point when you use hop extract.

Its a good beer though.
  24. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (405) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

It was okay. Not as crisp as Ranger, its a bit sweeter and had a pretty recognizable peach note to it. Not bad, not great. Worth trying? Sure.
  25. Never heard the extract thing about New Belgium or this beer in particular that I can recall. But now I'm even more excited about it, I love Lagunitas' DIPA's and of course the Pliney's!

I need try this beer, but first I need to get over this cold...
  26. Spider889

Spider889 Advocate (650) Ohio Mar 24, 2010

Not sure what is meant here. I'd wager that most commercial breweries with any desire to keep costs low are using extract. Even if they weren't, bittering hops are typically on the cheaper side unless you want to bitter with Amarillo or Citra for some ungodly reason. As mentioned, it's in Pliney for those who don't know or those who somehow think extract is cheating or not a quality ingredient.

A DIPA must have a ton of dry hops in it though (and likely a bunch of late additions, too) - plus they're using some hot newer hop varietals which are pricey. Frankly the main thing likely keeping the price point low is that NB has an economy of scale that virtually none can compare to.
    drewone and Ford like this.
  27. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

I'm not trying to be a jackass, but I'd like some proof to back up this statement. Again, not calling you a liar, but to make a statement like this without some sort of way to back it up is just heresy.
  28. Hop extract is for bitterness, typically. Its a smart move, since lots of IBU = lots of vegetal matter to deal with.

Oils are so volatile, I would be hard pressed to get good flavor/aroma from it.
  29. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (700) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

That must be why I didn't really like it.
  30. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I'm a big fan of Rampant, outside of La Folie it is my favorite from them. Awesome that it is going to be inexpensive and so readily available.
    Geuzedad likes this.
  31. PalatePilot

PalatePilot Savant (440) Colorado Dec 24, 2010

I did a private tour with one of the brewers and he all but said that they are not set up to brew hoppy beers. IE: lots of whole flower hops.
    Pellets and Extract are fine, just not as expensive as using a whole flower hop.
    I feel as though I can taste the difference and I was just making a point on price.
    Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.
  32. Enjoy By does not have Mosaic hops.
  33. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,040) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

Looking forward to it. New Belgium usually releases a big enough quantity that I know it will be on the shelves when I leave Oklahoma & do some beer shopping (still not here). I liked their last fresh hop offering.
  34. Anyone know when it will hit shelves in MN?
  35. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Drinking this for the first time right now. It's a solid IPA....definitely the best NB IPA has done so far. As someone else mentioned it does taste very similar to their Super IPA collab with Alpine. Decently priced at $9.99 for a sixer, being 8.5% abv, but at that price, no way I would choose this over Two Hearted or Centennial IPA.
  36. I really enjoyed this one, definitely has a good smell and not quite as much of a bite from the hops as i usually like in a double. But overall it was a pretty good one and at $5 for a 22oz bottle i would say its worth the $

37. Well, whatever. Smell it an tell me it isn't very similar to Enjoy By.
    Geuzedad likes this.
  38. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

I'm really liking this less and less the more I try it. On bottle 3 out of the sixer I got the other day and it seems to be getting worse....
    JohnnyMc likes this.
  39. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (465) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Pretty easy drinking for a DIPA. It's alright but not a game changer. $8.99/6 is pretty cheap though.