1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Belgium Releases Rampant Imperial IPA This Spring

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Feb 13, 2013.

1. It had far too much peach presence in it for me, seriously. Towards the end of the 12oz bottle I had to pou it as it was getting too "fruit juice" like for me

JohnnyMc, Moose90 and Hoptimus-Prime like this.
  2. I was looking forward to the release of Rampant. But the final product is only a bit shy of a drain pour. The rest will sit in my fridge till there's no other options. Ranger is by far a better beer.

3. printer1

printer1 Aficionado (235) Iowa Aug 29, 2005

Enjoy By 12 21 was my favorite new beer from 2012. Fantastic IPA. I will be looking for this.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  4. Pretty much how I felt. But I paid $6.99, at that price I'll probably buy a decent amount of it

5. Hopefully it gets to you when its still somewhat fresh.

6. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

I'm drinking one right now that I got for free from my local shop. They even had a bottle opened when I walked in & tried it on the spot. I think it's a solid beer overall. Doesn't remind me much like Super IPA, none of the same hops. That was more pine & a little grassy to me. This has more fruit tones to it in the taste. The nose has some grassy notes, & is appealing. Mosiac hops do come through. The more I drink it the more it tastes like Odell's Woodcut #6 minus the oak.

Glad I had a 12oz bottle to try. Wish more places did most their full lineup in a pick 6 form, would save me some $$ & space in my beer fridge. I'd give this a B- as I feel its a solid choice for people wanting to branch out & try something different.

7. Douggo

Douggo Aficionado (235) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

Found it at Stinson WBS yesterday. Bombers and 6-packs.

8. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Savant (425) Indiana Jun 5, 2012

Funny that you say this. I had 4.1.13 the other day and thought it was an onion bomb. Dumped it, and then drank a Rampant and was in love.

9. DerrickW

DerrickW Advocate (510) Georgia Jan 17, 2013

Drinking one right now. A lot of people are down on this beer, but I think it's above average. Nothing spectacular, but for $8.99/6pk, it's hard to beat. Has a bitter cantaloupe taste to me that's starting to grow on me.

10. I haven't this month's batch of Enjoy By. The only one I had was 2.15.13

11. Was pretty dissapointed by it. Found it to have a kind of unpleasant herbal quality to the finish. Won't be buying it again.

FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  12. My thoughts exactly. The smell really got my hopes up...:(

13. Im not understanding where people are getting pine/peach from in regards to this beer. The estery yeast combined with the unintegrated, underdone, earthy, herbal hops kind of made me want to puke. I didn't much care for Ranger either. The previous comment about NB not being equipped to brew with whole cone hops really lit up the light bulb over my head. This could be the problem I've always had with NB. They're the anti Sierra Nevada. ;):D

Hoptimus-Prime likes this.
  14. largadeer

largadeer Champion (790) California Sep 24, 2006

This is a surprisingly solid beer, especially for the price. New Belgium must have learned a thing or two from their Alpine collab.

15. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

well said on all counts

i like that this tastes pretty distinctly different than most other 'imperial ipa's' on the market right now, and while it is not amazing, i will probably reach for it more often than something like belgo because it is still pretty unique, pretty tasty, and pretty cheap

16. I had high hopes for this one, and it delivered... kinda. I'm a big New Belgium fan and am a big advocate for six packs.

This beer was good, I got a really nice juicy blueberry note, I was hoping this along with Maximus would be my one, two punch as far as 6 packs of double IPA under $10 goes. Unfortunately it wasn't that good, I'll definitely be a regular buyer, but instead of going 50-50 with my Maximus buying, it will probably be more like 80-20. I anticipate this being my 2nd most purchased DIPA going forward.

17. the four firkins should have some left. I know of few stores in the cities had some within the past week

18. jpeck13

jpeck13 Aficionado (150) California Apr 28, 2011

I think its pretty solid for a New Belgium offering. I don't get the whole cone vs. pellet pellet thing. There are plenty of incredible DIPAs that are brewed with all pellet hops. Kern River Citra comes to mind.

rails likes this.
  19. Mumbler

Mumbler Disciple (60) California Feb 17, 2013

I enjpyed this beer a lot. I thought it was quite different then any of the IPA's I have been drinking. It wasnt citrusy but, had alot of apricot and peach notes. Overall.... a beer I would return to from time to time.

20. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

I agree. It's a step closer to the West Coast with those juicy-ass Mosaic hops and a drier body than Ranger. I like it.

21. Ford

Ford Savant (480) Texas Sep 8, 2012

I'm one of those people that is a New Belgium fan... I've had several of their beers that I really like.... I like picking up Abbey here and there.. a great easy to drink belgium pale...

I'll never turn down a Fat Tire either.. it isn't my favorite, but it's a good beer..... yeah I'm ok if every beer I drink isn't great...

I look forward to trying this one.... have to make sure it is fresh of course.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  22. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

Gets my vote. Not sure how much I'll buy at $9 / 6pk. because that's Two Hearted territory and also Sucks, whose year round production should be kicking in around me soon. I'm hoping it makes its' way into 12 packs in the sub $15 range. Then it will eat up some of my Sierra Nevada money.

23. what? are you serious?

24. No. It's not good. Nice aroma, tastes like bad citrus fruits with a weird mix of spicy and pine hops. Poured out the last few ounces.

This is why I try to get singles of a brand new beer.

25. Absolutely. Everyone is in titled to their own opinion. Mine is that it doesn't even belong categorized as a IIPA. Best I can say is, great job hiding the ABV but I can hardly make it through a 12 oz bottle.

SalukiAlum, FriarTuckInLuck and sbxx like this.
  26. Younger uses extracts. Extracts can also be more expensive. In the end does it matter? You cant taste the difference. If some of the "cat Piss" IPA's were brewed with real cat piss I could care less as they taste and smell amazing.

Enjoy

27. Spokie

Spokie Aspirant (35) Minnesota Feb 16, 2013

Just tried tonight and enjoyed it. It's no Hopslam/Centennial/Mad Hatter, but solid and can't beat the price. I'm lukewarm on NB in general, but this was a nice surprise.

craigo19 likes this.
  28. PalatePilot

PalatePilot Savant (450) Colorado Dec 24, 2010

Oh!
    Younger uses extract... then nevermind....
    I love Rampant!

Revenant likes this.
  29. Skye1024

Skye1024 Savant (340) Indiana Oct 3, 2009

I have to echo a few others here. Thought it smelled amazing, but tasted bad. Not just I dont care much for this beer, but plain not good. I probably poured out half the bottle. I bought several bottles, so I will give it a second chance in a few days. Had high hopes too due to availability and price.

BTW, I think Ranger is solid and really liked Super IPA.

kawilliams81 and FriarTuckInLuck like this.
  30. drewone

drewone Advocate (740) California Sep 18, 2006

Very interesting to see the varied opinions - I came here to look it up and say the same thing as largadeer, I just had it and thought it was excellent - really enjoyed it - def. got the peachy / grapefruit flavor.

Prh27 and Etan like this.
  31. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

I bought a sixer and I think its solid. I got a strong honeydew melon and cantaloupe flavor which I get from Alpine beers (but this is clearly nothing close to anything from Alpine).

32. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

The people who poured this out obviously dislike beer in general... seriously guys?

33. Maybe some of us got ahold of a bad batch...idk, first impression wasn't good. To me it tasted watered down , and the fruitiness was over dominant and lacking hop presence that one would expect from an IIPA.
    I don't like all beer in general, I'm partial to IPAs IIPAs and stouts. I wouldn't have voiced my opinion on it or be a member of this website if I didn't appreciate beer.

34. peter831

peter831 Zealot (95) California Dec 2, 2012

Thank god for varied taste buds, we had some last week on draft right beside drink by 4-1 and it was pretty good. Bought a 6 pack, and the taste that came up was watermelon. Nice beer decent price, will likely end up in our rotation of daily drinkers that are on sale.

35. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

I just decided to give it a shot myself tonight, and got a 22 of it. I would have to agree with your opinion. I haven't drain poured it.. Will save half for my wife to get her opinion, but definitely struggled through my half. Spent most of the glass trying to figure out what that odd taste and smell was: more of a sour astringent bitter than a nice hop bitter. And IPAs and IIPAs are among my favorites. For example, I dig the hop bitterness of Palate Wrecker... Would definitely prefer a $4 Hop Stoopid to this.

36. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,120) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I found it to be a solid, but un-notable, brew. Not bad, not worth seeking out.

37. Sampled this at a small brewery (Haymarket) that has few guest beers on tap, while also trying the local DIPA and IIPA (among others). Even thought I was wearing a Fat Tire belt buckle, I thought about not finishing the 4-oz sample. It wasn't bad to the point of being undrinkable, but I was tremendously underwhelmed and there were so better options in front of me.

38. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

I hate to say it but I was still drinking it when I posted my last comment, and since was unable to finish my glass.. Seemed like as it warned up the off flavors I wasn't digging got a little too strong for me. So the rest of the glass was a rare drain pour.

39. sbxx

sbxx Savant (465) Illinois Mar 21, 2011

I drain poured mine. Sorriest excuse for an IIPA I've ever tasted.

I'm done with New Belgium. All they do is disappoint.

40. I owe you one.
    Bought a sixer of Rampant, it was 10 days old and awful.
    Bland, boring, far too balanced.