1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Belgium Releases Rampant Imperial IPA This Spring

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Feb 13, 2013.

1. I just wish they would have made Rampant a copy of the LOF Alpine collab. That stuff was legit.
    Absolut, denver10 and Skye1024 like this.
  2. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Savant (325) Colorado Dec 22, 2012

I drank it until I liked it, dammit! And that took, oh, three or four before I stopped tasting grapefruit/vodka. WTH? I still stand by NB - tonight I'm having their Trippel, though.
  3. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

To me, tasted really similar to the Alpine collaboration, which underwhelmed me. This was a bit better if you ask me.
  4. Tried it tonight. Not a fan.
  5. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

People aren't used to Mosaic hops. Super dank and resinous, tropical but with a bitter and oily earthiness. Easily off-putting for people on here who are used to Cascade and other C-hop-dominated IPAs. It's a shame.
    RockAZ and Savage1005 like this.
  6. mpayne5

mpayne5 Advocate (555) Indiana Aug 18, 2011

I actually enjoyed this beer a lot. I thought the peach was an interesting/refreshing take on an IPA.

Will definitely buy more as it is so cheap.
    drewone likes this.
  7. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

I'm trying this for the first time -- digging it quite a bit. It's nice and dry, and the Mosaic comes across as a more tropical simcoe. Really piney, but some fruit, and just the merest hint of strawberry. REALLY can't wait for my growler of Society and Solitude 6 to come in.
    Etan likes this.
  8. I've got one in my fridge. I'll probably give it a go tonight.
  9. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Savant (425) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

Eh, maybe I got a bad 6 pack, but this wasn't very good for me. It had way too much peach notes in it, wasn't all that bitter and had an odd perfume taste/smell to it. Maybe just me, but I didn't like this one. Ranger is pretty good though.
  10. bigbeers84

bigbeers84 Savant (380) Minnesota Mar 28, 2011

Just finished my first out of a sixer... I might drink one more, the rest I will pawn off on my friends. Ranger And shift are much better!
  11. LOL. This is my feeling entirely. Just because it's easy to drink doesn't make it good. If I had to sum it up in one word it would be "stale".
    Hoptimus-Prime likes this.
  12. ChazMania

ChazMania Savant (255) California Jun 13, 2006

I had 2 of these last night and really enjoyed it; tasted super fresh and good. I will gladly buy this stuff for the price.
  13. I'll try some for sure. Lived in Fort Collins and rock a NB hat when I can.
  14. What's this I hear of New Belgium coming to Florida??
  15. I hadn't heard about it and was excited to grab a sixer when I saw it on the shelf. Ranger is a great beer...my go-to in cans...and I was really hoping this would be more of a 'double ranger'. Not too hot on it, as is. Not bad but nothing special...I feel like the initial bitter hop hit and the long peachy finish are conflicting. For 8.99 I'm glad I tried it, but would take ranger over it head-to-head and spend a couple bucks extra for a better DIPA.
  16. Purchased a single, then two sixers of this beer. This is a great IPA. I believe Ranger IPA and this one are excellent because of there drinkability. Both have great hope flavor and pack a punch with the ABV, but they both maintaing some type of "crispness" and lightness to them. $8.99 six pack, yes please.
  17. i had this tonight on tap and really enjoyed it. i am wondering if the mixed reviews are due to people not accustomed to mosaic hops. they have a pretty unique taste.
  18. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

I've had a few more since my last post in this thread and I still believe it's pretty delicious.
  19. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

Based on the mixed reviews, I'll probably buy a single bottle of it first. Definitely no consensus here. Most seem to say good, not great, but the price is right. For those that didn't like it, was it not being used to mosiac hops or was it a bad batch? Since I've read the term "drain pour" a lot more than once, could be the latter. Dunno. It's averaging about 85 right now on BA.
  20. Benny3000

Benny3000 Savant (375) Michigan Apr 4, 2012

This was my first DIPA drain pour. This shit is horrid.
  21. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (260) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

Thanks to the "geniuses" that think they know beer at Floral City Beverage deciding not to buy any for Monroe County I had to travel up to Wayne County to get a sixer. It is a nice drinking gateway to Imperial/IIPA's. I could enjoy this year round.
  22. coltmil034

coltmil034 Aspirant (45) Missouri Oct 5, 2012

Agreed
    Hoptimus-Prime likes this.
  23. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

One of the worst beers I've ever had. Tasted and smelled like melon/cantaloupe, and I hate those flavors. I got no peach, no tropical flavors, no anything, just melon/honeydew/what the hell ever nonsense.

Oh, and for the people bitching about others not appreciating mosaic hops, stop acting pretentious. I love mosaic hops (alchemy hour comes immediately to mind) and this beer sucked. People can "get" a beer or hop and still hate the beer.

I sent my last bottle to a home where I hope it will be loved, but I would have aborted that beer before giving birth to the nightmare it became. Still would buy NB though, they've got some talented people, you just can't win 'em all.
    jlpred55, rails and Hoptimus-Prime like this.
  24. Sro1986

Sro1986 Aspirant (25) Virginia Mar 29, 2013

I had this yesterday at the CBC. I liked it. Wasn't blown away by any means but the most enjoyable aspect for myself was the aroma. I wouldn't by a 6 pack but I'd crush a pint if found on draft.
  25. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

This just came to our stores in Wyo, and a few of my friends and I shared a 6-pack. I'll preface my comments by saying we were all in the mood for something light and sessionable, we had just gone on a motorcycle ride and had parked ourselves on the front lawn in lawn chairs to enjoy the first truly warm Spring evening. So any IIPA was a bit heavy for the moment.

We all agreed that Rampant was kind of hard to get through. I enjoyed parts of it, but it wasn't at all my favorite beer. And I can't help but compare it to the other Ft. Collins brewery that we're lucky to get distribution from, Odell. I LOVE Myrcenary IIPA. Rampant just seemed like, as others have said, a sticky and somewhat unpleasantly bitter mess. We each only drank one bottle before switching to something else, so I'll have to try it again one evening when I can think about it a little more. But overall, I wasn't terribly impressed. Always happy to try a new beer though, and I still like lots of what New Belgium produces.
    beerFool28607 likes this.
  26. Did not like it, and poured it down the drain as well. It seems to me that all New Belgium beer outside of the LOF series has gone downhill the last several years. It's turning into an "only if I am desperate" brewery.
  27. Swik

Swik Savant (290) Indiana Oct 2, 2012

Tried it, meh. Just happy there's an easily accessible dipa on the market. Now when I'm in bung fuck Egypt Indiana and there's no selection outside bmc hopefully HOPEFULLY this will be there and it'll be better than nothing.
  28. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I personally don't care for Ranger, and after a few sips I grew to somewhat dislike the Super IPA as well. However I like this one. It's like nothing else, and I really love the fruity melon and berry flavors coming from the hops. To me it starts and finishes bitter, but the middle is like a fresh fruit tray.
  29. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Decent one, blueberry aroma.
  30. Absolut

Absolut Savant (420) California Sep 19, 2011

I had such high hopes. alas, they were not met.
  31. Icarus

Icarus Aficionado (190) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

I tried it for my first time last night and I was close to pouring it as well, I did manage to make it through to the end though. I won't be buying this offering from NB again.
  32. Maybe Floral City Beverage really knows their beer since they made the right decision. I don't know how NB could release this beer let alone be year round.
    FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  33. beerinNV

beerinNV Savant (265) Nevada Jan 3, 2012

Had one the other night. Appreciated the use of different hops initially (ie when it was cold), gave it a nose and taste that wasn't same ol, same ol. However, after warming it literally smelled like a dirty diaper. I can't get jiggy with that sh**
  34. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

I picked up a bomber yesterday. Hoping its good
  35. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Tried it and enjoyed it. Despite negative comments tried again and enjoyed it. Also this beer CRUSHES that malt whore Ranger, IMHO!
  36. Cinderbike

Cinderbike Savant (270) Nevada Jan 16, 2011

Had it at a beer dinner - wasn't impressed. It wasn't bad, but with beers like Pliny, Double Jack, and Knuckle, it's tough competition.
  37. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (260) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

I don't think so. Floral City Beverage doesn't like to carry items they think that won't sell in the county from Sam Adams, New Belgium or Goose Island. They won't even carry kegs of Ranger IPA.
  38. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (280) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

This. I've brewed with Mosaic hops exclusively. I currently have a 100% Mosaic hopped beer on tap now that is delish and Rampant does not reflect that beers hop profile at all.
  39. It surprises me to see it's lowish rating and all these unfavorable reviews. I liked it a decent amount because of the price point and availability. Not mind blowing but solid for sure....better than Alchemy Hour shall I say? Both came out about the same time thus the comparison.
  40. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

I'm not at all surprised at it's lowish rating and unfavorable reviews... I just wish I'd read some of them before I had tried it...