1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Belgium: Shift Pale Lager

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by denver10, Mar 7, 2012.

1. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

I have mixed emotions towards this one.

I think DIG is pretty great and found the Nelson Sauvin hop to be central to my enjoyment to it. To that end I am quite excited to check this beer out. However, I just can't get into lagers and that that aspect of this beer is a bit of a turn off for me.

Which side wins this argument? Guess I'll have to find out come April. Hopefully, I can find a store selling this in singles.
  2. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Ill have to try Dig 1st. I just found a shop that will sell me a single. Hope we get this and Deviant dales here in So.Cal.

Cheers!
  3. You need to hit up Total Wine. Singles galore.
  4. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Yeah I normally do, I have the ones in Rancho Cucamonga and Brea, but its been a while since I have been to either. Small shop by my work lets me do singles.

Cheers!
  5. zeff80

zeff80 Champion (815) Missouri Feb 6, 2006

I wasn't interested until I saw they're using Nelson Sauvin hops. Now I'm very intrigued.
  6. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Been looking forward to Shift for a while. I for one love the trend of putting craft in cans and quite honestly, there's a lack of canned craft lagers available with a decent distribution. The warmer weather of summer screams crisp and clean lager. This beer defienitely has it's place on camping trips, at concerts, and by the beach/pools. First time I've heard of the Nelson Sauvin hops though. Consider my anticipation heightened.
    Andwoo likes this.
  7. I'm gradually becoming a fan of everything NB is doing, so I'll be checking this out for sure, especially if it's reasonably priced.
    JimKal and Andwoo like this.
  8. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

My thoughts exactly, this is the first regular NB release that I'm looking forward to.
  9. Docer

Docer Savant (415) Washington Nov 20, 2008

I tried the Dig first on draft and really liked it. I later bought a 4-pack of cans of the shift and thought it was a great basic lager that could very well steer many more away from BMC. Yes, the little more spendy.. and a bit more quality. I like it though, and it's nice to have around for those that are not mad beer geeks like us! Just think about those who like good beer, and have never heard of beeradvocate!