1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Belgium's Kim Jordan talks to NPR at the DNC

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by DrAwkward82, Sep 7, 2012.

1. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

juliusbush, cavedave, Andwoo and 2 others like this.
  2. Andwoo

Andwoo Aficionado (150) Texas Sep 21, 2010

Right on! Thanks for posting!
  3. I love when NPR has beer stories.
  4. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Heard it yesterday on a ride to a job site. Excellent interview with a real veteran American brewer.
  5. Errto

Errto Savant (305) Connecticut Oct 20, 2009

Yeah, that's a good one. I find it interesting in a couple of ways:

1 - Craft brewers are traditionally, and sometimes quite vocally, apolitical, except when it comes to issues that affect them very narrowly such as the small brewers tax credit. Which is fine, if politics isn't their bag for the most part, but it's good to know there are exceptions.

2 - There are not enough women in the craft beer industry, especially at the founder/CEO/head brewer level. So this is good publicity.

I have a question, though: is it not common for brewery employees to hold stock (excluding the multinationals and SAM, etc)? I'm really surprised by that, because considering those jobs don't pay much, it seems like an obvious incentive to offer.
  6. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I don't know how common it is but there are others. Full Sail is employee-owned and IIRC Anheuser Busch has/had a significant percentage of employee ownership. Not sure of the status after the buyout.
  7. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

New respect for New Belgium. I'll give them a fresh look.