1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Bell’s seasonal Smitten Golden Rye Ale debuts in Feb

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (1,300) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Kalamazoo, MI (Jan 2013) - With a new year comes to a new addition to the Bell’s seasonal spring lineup. In early February, Bell’s Smitten Golden Rye Ale will be released on draft and in six-packs - just in time to help transition into warmer days. Coming in at 6% ABV, Smitten pours a hazy gold appearance. “This is the perfect beer to help brighten those gray winter days and help warm your heart,” said Laura Bell, Marketing Director for Bell’s Brewery, Inc.

Drawn from one of Larry Bell’s oldest recipes, Smitten began as part of a series of rye beers at the Eccentric Café in downtown Kalamazoo, where a variety of new and old favorites are still brewed right next door at Bell’s original location. That series also included Black Rye, Rye Stout and Kal-Haven Ale.

A combination of sharp citrus and resinous flavors from the Pacific Northwest hops with the earthy, rustic overtones of the rye malt yield an interesting and refreshing take on the American Pale Ale. Formerly called Golden Rye Ale, Smitten is the first new regular bottle release since Oarsman Ale debuted as a year round offering in 2010.

For more information on where to find Smitten as well as other Bell’s beers, please visit the Bell’s Beer Finder online or contact your local retailer.

ABOUT BELL’S BREWERY, INC.
    Bell's Brewery, Inc. began in 1985 with a quest for better beer and a 15 gallon soup kettle. Since then, we've grown into a regional craft brewery that employs more than 200 people over an 18 state area, in addition to Puerto Rico and Washington DC. The dedication to brewing flavorful, unfiltered, quality craft beers that started in 1985 is still with us today. We currently brew over 20 beers for distribution as well as many other small batch beers that are served at our pub in Kalamazoo, the Eccentric Cafe. Our ongoing goal is to brew thoughtfully, creatively and artistically. We strive to bring an authentic and pleasant experience to all of our customers through our unique ales and beers. For more information, please visit bellsbeer.com

###
    creepinjeeper, fredmugs and Jake2HRTD like this.
  2. Can't Wait! Bells always impresses me with their brews.
    smutty33 likes this.
  3. BB1313

BB1313 Advocate (685) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Nice, I'm definitely looking forward to this..
  4. I had this beer when it was known as Golden Rye Ale, and it's a great beer!
  5. Bells seasonal' s with warmer weather on the horizon? Im in
  6. Had this at the cafe not too long ago, easy drinking fairly balanced beer. Should be good to have when the weather warms up.
  7. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Man,I wish Bell's had distro in CT. or somewhere in New England.

Love me some Rye,Love me some Bell's.

Cheers All....
  8. haruspexvic

haruspexvic Savant (250) Illinois Aug 23, 2012

looking forward to this, it sounds like its going to be a great substitute for founders reds rye when it goes away.
  9. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Advocate (505) Illinois Jan 14, 2013

http://bellsbeer.com/blog/158-New_Bell___s_seasonal__Smitten_Golden_Rye_Ale__debuts_in_February

This former 750 mL series brew from Bell's is now getting the full 6 pack treatment. In fact, they beat the February deadline. I just picked up a 6 pack on the shelves here in the western suburbs of Chicago. Not sure where all this has been released to yet, but I've got my hands on some. Haven't tasted it yet to see if it matches up with the 750 mL series, but Bell's says it's the same recipe.
    maximum12 likes this.
  10. It's made way to southern Indiana. Never heard of it.
  11. Hey. Had a draft tonight at Standard Market. Tasty Rye, VERY subtle Belgian notes. Thanks.
  12. PHBoiler

It was quite interesting. First off it was bottled 3 days ago so kudos to Bell's. I got a hint of toasted rye along with some bitterness. Very little citrus in terms of the hops. This is more of a dry and bitter ale but it isn't a tongue coating bitterness. Very different than an IPA or west coast pale ale. Worth a try to expand your horizons at $19 per sixer.
  13. PHBoiler

Not sure how to edit my last post, but that should say $10 per sixer. Misprint by me. Definitely not $19.
  14. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

I had it on tap at a Bell's tap takeover here in Chicago this past fall. It was fantastic-best beer of the night.
  15. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Local craft bar is having this Monday. Might need to check it out.
  16. scud

scud Savant (315) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

6 packs are available at a grocery store here in Northern IN