1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New brewer dry hop question.

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by psnydez86, Mar 6, 2012.

1. So I just brewed my first pale ale batch and am officially hooked....the airlock is bubblin away and fermentation is under way....next batch is an extract/grain ipa kit....i want to dry hop in primary or maybe secondary but was wondering about siphoning the beer and can only imagine the hop leafs getting clogged in the racking cane....this being said I was looking into buying the stainless steel cane with the mesh filter that goes on the bottom of the cane to keep hops and sediment out of my bottling bucket....is this a good purchase or wont the hops cause me much issue?

2. dfess1

dfess1 Initiate (0) Pennsylvania May 20, 2003

an auto siphon works pretty well. Has a little tip that you hold just at the trub level. Doesn't suck any of the stuff up, and it's plastic. Dry hop in the Secondary.

3. The hops are not going to cause you a lot of trouble. The secret is to hold the racking cane so that you are not sucking up the sediment from the bottom of the fermentation vessel. I usually tip the vessel towards the end of racking to get all the beer off while not disturbing the yeast and other trub.

4. Oh okay...i already have the plastic autosiphon but thought about the filter upgrade for dry hopping.....okay another novice question....once fermentation is coming to a close is it goo practice to get the krausen off the top of the beer with a sanitized spoon? (my primary is a bucket with airlock)

5. cracker

cracker Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 2, 2004

Why would you want to do that (unless it's a top cropping yeast and you want to harvest some for future batches)? Just leave it alone.

6. Okay....i heard if its left there it can cause off flavors?

7. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

dry hop in a mesh bag, works great and no mess. Sanitize the bag first though and weigh it down with some sanitized marbles or aquarium stones.

8. cracker

cracker Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 2, 2004

I have read that before in some older homebrew books (probably Papazian) but to be honest I think no one advocates doing this and I have not seen it discussed in any of the newer homebrew books.

9. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

It's said by some that the top of the krausen falling back in can cause "harsh" flavors. I've never encountered this.

A nice thing about buckets is that most of the oxidized scum sticks to the side of the bucket above the liquid level and doesn't drop back in.

10. Alrighty! ill leave it alone! Thanks gentlemen

11. that sounds like a good idea! Thanks!

12. dfess1

dfess1 Initiate (0) Pennsylvania May 20, 2003

keep in mind to take gravity readings. Fermentation is over when your gravity doesn't change, not when the airlock stops bubbeling.

13. Secure a 5-gallon nylon mesh paint strainer bag (available at Home Depot) to the bottom of the racking cane to avoid sucking up whole leaf hops. There's no need to buy a fancy filter and specialty racking cane.

Do not scoop off the krausen. Leave your beer be and remain patient. It will fall naturally over time. You would also risk oxygenating your beer if you choose to do something that silly. The krausen does not cause off flavors. What can cause off flavors however is bottling your beer with less than a week spent in the primary. Two to three weeks spent in the primary will actually help clean up any off flavors via the residual yeast reabsorbing the nasties that were initially released.

After about two to three weeks, you can dryhop directly in the primary, or better yet, rack to secondary and dryhop there for an additional week or two. If you remain in the primary for the duration, you'll want to avoid agitating the carboy/bucket at all costs. I typicallly keep my carboy at counter height so I can siphon directly from that spot without lifting it and stirring up the yeast.