1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Brewery - Geneva, IL

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by PHBoiler, Mar 21, 2013.

1. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Advocate (540) Illinois Jan 14, 2013

Check out the latest edition of Hopcast http://www.hop-cast.com/?p=1903 As they introduce a brand new brewery planned for Geneva, IL. Pretty interesting news for those of us in Kane County and Fox Valley. Also interesting news for Chicagoland as this beer style isn't really represented yet ie sour/wild beers. Can't wait until it's up and running and selling growlers. I'm sure the sour/wild folks over in beer trading will be on the lookout.

2. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (710) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

Love going to Geneva for a pint or two at the Ale House so really looking forward to this!

RWNay and Chrixsus like this.
  3. mbierz

mbierz Aficionado (145) Illinois Dec 6, 2008

Couldn't be more excited about this.

4. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

I was happy to hear about this, the loss of another talented guy (Tom Korder) doesn't bode well for Goose's barrel program though.

5. PHBoiler

I'm just excited to have a professional brewing operation out this way. The style and variety is very interesting. I also think the guest taps will be really nice. I don't think a lot of folks in Chicago realize how tough it is to get the well received beers out here in Kane County.

6. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

I've been holding this info in for MONTHS. I'm so stoked for these guys.

RWNay, pschul4 and mbierz like this.
  7. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (545) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

This is AWESOME News, SOURS SOURS SOURS!!!

8. EHobbz

EHobbz Aficionado (125) Illinois Dec 3, 2007

Vav - you get LOTS of beers for keeping quiet as long as you have. Korder's buyin...

Vav likes this.
  9. thetomG

thetomG Savant (430) Illinois Feb 17, 2010

Great news... Tom Korder is a classy dude... very happy for them!

10. Vav

Also, although they'll probably yell at me for saying so, you'll be able to try their first beer at my tap takeover (pending TTB approval) ;)

Nachos4two and Bay01 like this.
  11. EHobbz

So much for Vav keeping secrets...

pschul4 and Vav like this.
  12. jpsy422

jpsy422 Savant (305) Illinois Jul 12, 2009

I can't wait for this place to open. Its going to be less than a mile from my house.

13. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Winning ^^^^^^

jpsy422 likes this.
  14. Where exactly in Geneva are they going to be?

15. PHBoiler

Stevens Street by 6th Street on the north side of downtown along the industrial area on the north side of the street

Nachos4two and thewimperoo like this.
  16. PHBoiler

More info on Penrose via beerdownload. Check out their latest episode for some info on how the beers will be packaged/priced, timeline for beer production, and when/where you can start tasting their beer in May.

Nachos4two and pschul4 like this.
  17. PHBoiler

So who is going to taste the first Penrose brew partnered with Perennial on Monday May 20th at the House Pub in St. Charles? 7PM I believe. I'll be there.

18. Nachos4two

trying to make it as well!!

19. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Sounds intriguing, hopefully i am free that day.

20. Hoping I can make it.

21. JRBecks

JRBecks Savant (400) Illinois Apr 3, 2012

I will be attending, I have a softball game first but then heading over after that, hopefully there will be some left by 730

22. PHBoiler

Anyone who can't make it to The House Pub in St. Charles on Monday has a second chance. Same beer, same type of event on Wednesday night at Geneva Ale House in Geneva.

mychalg9 likes this.
  23. Nachos4two

They finally announced events at Geneva ale house?

24. PHBoiler

I just saw this one via Penrose's facebook account. I think Geneva Ale House added it via facebook as well. Geneva Ale House did tweet out earlier today that they have a ton of local brews to showcase for CCBW. Sunday is a bunch of Revolution stuff including all three Hero beers.

25. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Tried their sage and pear beer, it was solid.

26. Chrixsus

Chrixsus Savant (325) Illinois Dec 13, 2011

Stockholm's better step it up! :eek:

27. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

Hahaha! :D

makdeco and Chrixsus like this.
  28. JRBecks

Chrixsus, EHobbz and PHBoiler like this.
  29. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (710) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

What kind of beer is Hereafter?

30. PHBoiler

Hereafter is a Belgian Strong Golden Ale at 8%. They use a Belgian yeast strain and sour mash to get a lemony tartness and a certain light dryness to the beer. The D'Anjou pear utilized gives a light fruit but solid juiciness to the front end. The white sage brings some earthiness to the mid palette that doesn't particularly hint of sage at all. The finish is clean. The beer is very crisp and drinkable. No hint of the 8% to me. I get the refined Belgian styling from what Penrose projects themselves to be, while the use of fruit and sour mash certainly ties in the Perennial collaboration. It certainly seems that the brewers all worked together on this one like I'm sure they all did in their past days at Goose.

31. PHBoiler

32. JRBecks

I ended up going to this event and it ended up being a really good time. We a got a tour of the future space of Penrose. We got to chat and put a few back with Tom and Eric at a few local watering holes. I can not wait for Penrose to open.

PHBoiler likes this.
  33. PHBoiler

It really looks to be an impressive space. I can't wait to see it once they get the build-out in place, and then the equipment and barrels should really make it quite a destination. One look at the floor plan and the business model tells you that this venture is unlike any of the recent micro/nanobreweries of recent vintage in Chicagoland.

34. Does anyone have the address of the brewery? Curious what part of Geneva it is in.

35. JRBecks

I dont have the exact address, but it is essentially at the corner of 5th and Stevens, it backs up to wheeler park....Hope that helps

36. Thanks. That is 1.3 mi from where I will most likely be living in a few months. Close enough to walk to and stumble home. :)

pschul4 likes this.
  37. PHBoiler

509 Stevens in Geneva to be exact. A currently unassuming industrial building.

38. Vav

Just FYI, on the night of my tap takeover i made a bet with Tom & Eric: If they can get beer on my shelf by my birthday on October 2nd, i will shave my head and donate the hair to a charity that makes wigs for children with cancer.

39. EHobbz

Friends - thank you all for the early curiosity and support. We're not even open yet and we're having a blast meeting everyone at our recent events. Things are moving forward with Geneva as planned, and we're hopeful to have final local licensing shortly so we can begin our buildout.

Also noteworthy: we're on schedule to shave Vav's head.