1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New brewery in Ontario - Ramblin' Road

Discussion in 'Canada' started by maltyb, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Ramblin' Road Brewery Farm

Opened up this past weekend in Norfolk County, Ontario. Currently producing a lager, ale and a pilsner. Hoping that they'll become a bit more adventurous in the future, but I've tried the lager - I believe, and it was respectable (surprisingly hoppy). Even if they stick with the basics hopefully it'll turn some people onto craft who otherwise would have never considered it.
  2. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Yawn. Time will tell. Not sure why new brewers in the province think the only way to have a brewery is by appealing to the same market that Molson/Labatt try to appeal to. Why even compete with those macros? Try something new!
    Best of luck to them. They will need it.
    TheSevenDuffs likes this.
  3. They just released a new brew, called Dakota Pearl Ale. It's apparently a beer brewed with potatoes. I haven't tried it yet, but I'll report back when I do.
  4. "We brew a lager and an ale and another thing"

LOL GTFO MY PROVINCE
    peensteen, Rutager and hopsolutely like this.
  5. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (640) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

Give the guys a break. Not everyone has to start with a 25 ingredient calvados aged b-wine.

Some of today's best breweries start out simple. This is smart, especially since trying to go from small, test sized batches to commercial sized batches can be rough going sometimes. Some of Holland's best breweries started with blonds and pale ales. Some of the worst started with imperial IPA's and BA stouts. Okay, some of the worst also started with blonds and pale ales. Man, there are some shit breweries in Holland. This whole gypsy thing has made everyone think they're a rock star.

Jeff
    thehyperduck likes this.
  6. Not asking these guys to do anything earth-shattering, but if they're trying to crack into the 'craft' brew market, don't start out with the same old janky 3-5 beer, super-safe regular rotation. But maybe they're trying to cater to a different crowd, who knows.
  7. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (640) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

I constantly have to remind myself that not every beer is brewed for me...
    papat444 likes this.
  8. yasky

yasky Savant (300) New York Dec 21, 2008

I'll still give them a shot, but from what I've read so far it looks like my Bellwoods money is safe.
  9. Lets be honest, it's kinda hard to startup a brewery selling odd and obscure styles. Most craft breweries in Ontario flagshiped simpler beer styles, generally Pale Ales, Cream Ales, Lagers, Brown Ales or Pilseners.

Mill St for example, without a doubt their most well know and best sellers are Tankhouse (Pale Ale) and Organic Lager.

Steamwhistle only brews the Pilsener

Camerons, Lager, Auburn Ale and Cream Ale

Black Oak, Pale Ale and Nut Brown Ale

Great Lakes, Golden Horseshoe Lager (although their seasonal selection may be an exception to the rule)

Wellington, SPA (Pale Ale) and County Ale (Brown Ale)

Flying Monkeys, Hoptical Illusion (Pale Ale)

Muskoka, Cream Ale and Dark Ale (Brown Ale)

King Brewery, Pilsener and Vienna Lager

All of these breweries when they first started up, used these styles to flagship. Some found great success and didn't really move on from them, some began to move onto more complicated styles we beer geeks know and love and still run these offerings, albeit less front and centre now. This is probably because it's hard to sell Dunkelweizen, RIS or even real IPA at a bar or restaurant, unless it's a beer bar. It's also probably because most brewers at startup know better then the try to tackle more obscure, harder to brew styles.
  10. I think that in the Ontario market, the best thing to do is to start with the most popular brewed beer, lagers. As stated above, Mill St and Beau's are supported by they main stays so that they can then go on and brew more esoteric brews.

I look forward to sessionable lagers and ales in the marketplace because for an everyday drink I am done with either overly hopped or boozy versions of stuff that is tasty but to the point of covering up any flaws in the base beverage. When I go out to a beer bar, I do want all those great beers and almost successful experiments but for lawnmower days and early evenings in, I need something good.
  11. WOULD IT KILL TO HAVE A YEAR-ROUND FLAGSHIP LIKE FLOWER POWER, TWO HEARTED OR BURNING RIVER?

this is all i am asking of new breweries starting up in ontario. if you're going to be redundant in the market, please just steer clear of the played out light lager/grainy +poorly hopped pale ales territory. give us something to actually talk about.

signed,
    a guy who wants to support more ontario breweries but finds it difficult to continue to do so with so many better options within driving distance
    yasky likes this.
  12. Totally agree. The time has come where (smaller) new Canadian breweries can succeed with flagship beers that aren't the traditional sweet, bubbly, and "smooth tasting" same old same old (or slight variations of). Make a quality product and the sales will come, no matter what the style (within reason of course ...I doubt a flagship Gruit would please the accountants).

Even the "cutting edge" newer Vancouver breweries are several years behind the better west coast breweries in their flagship products. Maybe it speaks to the market, maybe it's a question of availability. I like to think it's the later.
    liamt07 likes this.
  13. Not a single worthwhile year-round porter or stout in the province. What gives.
  14. A good porter though... ?
  15. I wouldn't equate 'passable' with 'worthwhile' (in my terms at least).