1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New brewery near Madison, WI

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Ri0, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (925) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

http://ibmadison.com/businessreport?businessreport_id=2720

Former Capital Brewery president submits plans for new craft brewery
    9/25/12

Carl Nolen, former president of Capital Brewery in Middleton, has submitted plans to the city of Verona to build what could be one of the state’s largest craft breweries.
  2. Always nice to have more options. Hopefully they will have more interesting brews than Capital.
  3. We must have different definitions of interesting.
  4. in·ter·est·ing
       [in-ter-uh-sting, -truh-sting, -tuh-res-ting] Show IPA
    adjective
    1. engaging or exciting and holding the attention or curiosity: an interesting book.
    2. arousing a feeling of interest: an interesting face.

I think we have the same definition of interesting, just a different taste in beer.
  5. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

wisconsinbeer1 likes this.
  6. Ri0

Had Autumnal Fire this past weekend. Enjoy it every time. Capital makes tasty doppelbocks.
  7. Most Capitol beers are uninspiring...guess the hophead in me doesn't find most of their stuff too exciting. Autumnal Fire is prolly their best with a couple other good ones, but beyond that...yawn.
    pschul4 and erod61 like this.
  8. kurt25

kurt25 Zealot (85) Illinois Mar 16, 2009

I love hoppy beers but I thought Capital's Eternal Fire was pretty darn tasty. Autumnal fire was probably one of the best seasonal's I've had this year.
  9. 71gto

71gto Savant (270) Illinois Jun 3, 2009

Nothing wrong with a brewery that keeps it basic, but does it really well IMO. That is how I see Capital.
    steveh likes this.
  10. steveh

And you got the spelling down too. ;)
  11. steveh

Hoppy, bitter, high octane, singularly or together, do not equal exciting to everyone. I've had so many hoppy or strong beers in the last 20 years that the "trends" no longer excite me.

Bring me well-made, to-style, delicious beer -- Capital does that and does it well, and has done it well for almost 30 years. Guess someone likes 'em.
    ChicagoBeersFan likes this.
  12. grantcty

grantcty Aficionado (235) Minnesota Feb 17, 2008

Agreed. I find every new pale ale, ipa/dipa, stout, or whatever's been thrown into barrel to be uninspiring cause so many breweries are brewing them. That's not to say I don't drink some of them, I just don't get that excited.

That's just more Capital beers for me (and you).
    steveh and ChicagoBeersFan like this.
  13. 71gto

Did not realize this was an accomplishment :D
  14. Ri0

Interesting read on why Nolen is starting a new brewery.
    Q: The brewery began making traditional German lagers. Has the success of Supper Club and Island Wheat changed the profile of the brewery?
  15. Their Maibock is world class also
  16. steveh

It seems to be for those who turn noses up at the brewery. ;)
  17. MadRyan

MadRyan Aficionado (140) Wisconsin Jul 22, 2007

No sane person can deny the quality of their overall portfolio has taken a hit the last several years. Autumnal Fire, Platinum Blonde, and Maibock are all very good brews. Island Wheat, Rustic Ale, Supper Club, Hop Cream...not so much.
  18. 71gto

To me Super Club is a solid brew...
  19. steveh

I'd agree with you, but I'm pretty sure Brewmaster Kirby loves the Supper Club for its nostalgic character and he's pretty happy with the recreation. But yeah, not so much for me -- guess I haven't turned that nostalgic yet.
  20. Based on what this article says, Nolen is not intending to start a new brewery at all. He is attempting to buy Capital Brewery with a group of private investors. That is unfortunate, I was hoping for a new brewery. :(
  21. steveh

Well, that article is also over a year old, so...

This article tells us he failed at the takeover.
  22. steveh

23. Thanks, I swore I read something similar to this. Didn't look at the date on the other article. I'm excited for more options in WI, but somewhat skeptical of their plans to grow so rapidly. I certainly do not know Nolen's motivation, but it unfortunately sounds like more of a cash grab than a passion for creating great beers (IMHO). Why else plan to become so big so quickly?
  24. Ri0

A new article indicates Kirby Nelson will be the brewmaster. I'm intrigued to see what will be produced.

25. steveh

Oh no... I have very mixed feelings about this turn of events. I love what Kirby did with Capital's beers and I'm sure he'll do the same for Wisconsin Brewing (hasn't someone already used that name?), but Capital has been a favorite for so long -- I'm afraid to see how it will progress, or not, without Kirby.
  26. Yes there was a Wisconsin Brewing Company in the mid to late 90's, whose brands were owned by Sand Creek it seems. As long as Kirby can still brew his award winning bocks I'm happy.
  27. Lol, sorry, but when I see a Capitol building on their label, it's an easy mistake to make. Please excuse my wholly unforgivable spelling error...
  28. steveh

Big red flag singling out non-fans! ;)

(I mean c'mon, the name of the brewery's on the label too!)
  29. Can't remember the last time I actually looked at one of their labels...
    Gotta love forums...busting peoples chops for a simple error. I guess you must be perfect and beyond reproach....;)
  30. dhannes

dhannes Savant (360) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

I am curious to see what beers that they will offer that are not already available in Wisconsin. Kirby's forte is bocks, and Capital does a great job with those already. With New Glarus just 20 miles south of their location, and Ale Asylum ready to open a large brewery on the eastside, they're going to have a tough time making in roads in Wisconsin unless they can hit upon a really great tasting beer.
  31. steveh

Just like everyone else around here. :D

And hey, if you're gonna bust on one of my fave breweries, I might as well bust back, right? ;)
    (at least I didn't ding yeh for the "prolly.") :D
  32. Hehehe...thanks for cutting me some slack on the "prolly"...you're alright! :)